Software no more...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Software no more...

Post by Harvey Williamson »

fern wrote:I finally got tired of being defeated by almost any current chess engine and so i will not, ever, play one again, even less to purchase extra stuff. Instead I am playing my old dedicated units, which I do with great pleasure. It is not only that I have a reasonable chance to win, but they are pretty, real things to put on the desk, something with solidity, smell, tact, etc.
I had believed I was going to get hiarcs 14 and its explorer new thing, but I think I will not. I expected something funnier, not a professional device surely of great utility for real chess players, which I am not. I expect faces, grimaces, comments, colors, bells and all the rest, not just database that i never in my life I have consulted.
Maybe I must wait Walt Disney producing an engine...

from the children garden regards
Fern
Dearest Fernando,

You were sent a free copy in August but maybe the Walt Disney logo was eaten by your spam filter?

If you can not find it please let me or Mark know and we will send it again!

Big hugs from team Hiarcs,
Harvey
JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Post by JuLieN »

fern wrote:I finally got tired of being defeated by almost any current chess engine and so i will not, ever, play one again, even less to purchase extra stuff. Instead I am playing my old dedicated units, which I do with great pleasure. It is not only that I have a reasonable chance to win, but they are pretty, real things to put on the desk, something with solidity, smell, tact, etc.
I had believed I was going to get hiarcs 14 and its explorer new thing, but I think I will not. I expected something funnier, not a professional device surely of great utility for real chess players, which I am not. I expect faces, grimaces, comments, colors, bells and all the rest, not just database that i never in my life I have consulted.

Fern
By the way... have you ever tried Chess Maniacs Five Billions and One, Fern? :) It's an old DOS game that I feel might suit you: it tries to cheat even more than y... than its human opponent!

Here's a youTube video about this game:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YfzB_i7xwo
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
fern

Post by fern »

I did not receive nothing, Harvey, which perhaps is better as much I do not like very much to receive gifts that are not deserved and means a financial cost to the giver and some lose of objectivity or independence to the recipient.
I thank you all the same.

fern
pilgrimdan

Post by pilgrimdan »

Fern
Fernando

feel the same way...

that's why i have always liked chessmaster and the different personalities...
geots

Post by geots »

Fern

I still got the system that came out in the late '70s that you hook up to your TV and play on the screen. Remember Atari? That should be a perfect fit for you. It would be a struggle for it to beat Moron 3. And since you have been so kind and fair with Moron- especially "after the sale" attention you have paid- that I will repay in kind when I sell you this system. I won't shove it too far, and it won't hurt but a couple minutes.

Preparing the shaft regards-

The merciful one
karger
Full name: John Karger

Post by karger »

Speight , You say nothing but gross insulting things here in this forum. Why are you so full of hate ? karger
fern

Post by fern »

I had once that Atari contrivance. Played awfully, even worst than me. But, yes, those old machines had that precious virtue: you can win them.
Now almost every engine in the bottom of the list, those amateur programs that appears every day, are capable of crushing us like bugs.
Shame

Fern