Houdini from Convetka

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

daniel71

Houdini from Convetka

Post by daniel71 »

Houdini 3 is going to sold soon in November by Conveta. Robert wouldn't tell any news about Chessbase or Convekta products but they will still sell Houdini. The problem is will Chess Assitant 13 be improved or not wanted to upgrade to 13 from 11 but somebody said 12 was just a repackaged 11, if somebody in the know has knowledge of continued developement of Chess Assistant could comment on this it will be appreciated. I already have Deep Fritz 13, ChessBase 11, I try to keep my software up to date. Daniel
This is what ChessOK (Convekta) plans on selling:

Chess Assistant 13 (Starter, Professional and Mega)
Houdini 3 Aquarium and Houdini 3 PRO Aquarium
Houdini 3 UCI and Houdini 3 PRO UCI
Albert Silver

Re: Houdini from Convetka

Post by Albert Silver »

daniel71 wrote:Houdini 3 is going to sold soon in November by Conveta. Robert wouldn't tell any news about Chessbase or Convekta products but they will still sell Houdini. The problem is will Chess Assitant 13 be improved or not wanted to upgrade to 13 from 11 but somebody said 12 was just a repackaged 11, if somebody in the know has knowledge of continued developement of Chess Assistant could comment on this it will be appreciated. I already have Deep Fritz 13, ChessBase 11, I try to keep my software up to date. Daniel

Chess Assistant development was frozen years ago, and has not changed since version 10 AFAIK. Aquarium is their current flagship interface and includes nearly all of what CA was.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Albert Silver wrote:
daniel71 wrote:Houdini 3 is going to sold soon in November by Conveta. Robert wouldn't tell any news about Chessbase or Convekta products but they will still sell Houdini. The problem is will Chess Assitant 13 be improved or not wanted to upgrade to 13 from 11 but somebody said 12 was just a repackaged 11, if somebody in the know has knowledge of continued developement of Chess Assistant could comment on this it will be appreciated. I already have Deep Fritz 13, ChessBase 11, I try to keep my software up to date. Daniel

Chess Assistant development was frozen years ago, and has not changed since version 10 AFAIK. Aquarium is their current flagship interface and includes nearly all of what CA was.
Chess Assistant is old news....

I will never purchase such an old fashioned GUI let alnoe with Houdini 3 packed with it.....

I'll consider the ChessBase version though....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

I will never purchase such an old fashioned GUI let alnoe with Houdini 3 packed with it.....

Dr.D
Hey there Dr. D!

Have you tried the Hiarcs Explorer yet?

It is quickly replacing Shredder Classic as my favorite GUI (and that is surprising to me)

Once they introduce one or two more features I might need no other GUI!
Right now I still need to use Chessbase once in awhile for a few database things...but not that much!

How do you feel about Aquarium? I have never quite been sold on that but I am also not a "power user".
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

tomgdrums wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Dr.D
Hey there Dr. D!

It is quickly replacing Shredder Classic as my favorite GUI (and that is surprising to me)

Right now I still need to use Chessbase once in awhile for a few database things...but not that much!

How do you feel about Aquarium? I have never quite been sold on that but I am also not a "power user".
Howdy Tom :D

Well,I am waiting for Hiarcs Explorer with implemented eng-eng tournament option then I'll buy it at once :)

Aquarium is too professional for me,at least for now as I don't do serious opening preparation as in correspondence chess for example....

For now ChessBase 10 suffice my needs perfectly as I play the chess engines in my tournaments....

BTW,I am playing Sunsetter C9d right now as we speak....
Dr.D

P.S.I'll be bashed for making such a long quote as it's considered as a sin nowadays in our forum :wink:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
tomgdrums wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Dr.D
Hey there Dr. D!

Howdy Tom :D

Well,I am waiting for Hiarcs Explorer with implemented eng-eng tournament option then I'll buy it at once :)

Aquarium is too professional for me,at least for now as I don't do serious opening preparation as in correspondence chess for example....

For now ChessBase 10 suffice my needs perfectly as I play the chess engines in my tournaments....

BTW,I am playing Sunsetter C9d right now as we speak....
Dr.D

P.S.I'll be bashed for making such a long quote as it's considered as a sin nowadays in our forum :wink:
Nah! I like the long quotes. Easier to follow the conversation. :)
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:

Dr.D
Old-fashioned somehow implies that things have evolved. This is partially true, but not entirely. CA had a uniquely powerful tree system that allowed it to not only build a compact fully positional tree in record time and space, making it practical to use, but used its tree technology in ways no software to date comes close to. This doesn't make it superior, as this is only true if you use it, but for openings preparation it was easily the most powerful tool around. It didn't just provide trees for everything left and right, but you could work solely and directly in tree modes.

Of course, it has limitations, such as the lack of multimedia support, the much poorer presentation, and the excessive amount of functions. However, to claim it was a one-sided battle would be a serious mistake.

Albert
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
carldaman

Re: Aquarium/Chess Assistant trees

Post by carldaman »

Albert Silver wrote: CA had a uniquely powerful tree system that allowed it to not only build a compact fully positional tree in record time and space, making it practical to use, but used its tree technology in ways no software to date comes close to. This doesn't make it superior, as this is only true if you use it, but for openings preparation it was easily the most powerful tool around. It didn't just provide trees for everything left and right, but you could work solely and directly in tree modes.

Albert
Do you mean it had a better tree system than Aquarium has now? Isn't Aquarium using the same tree functionality as used before in Chess Assistant?

Thanks,
Carl
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

carldaman wrote:
Albert Silver wrote: CA had a uniquely powerful tree system that allowed it to not only build a compact fully positional tree in record time and space, making it practical to use, but used its tree technology in ways no software to date comes close to. This doesn't make it superior, as this is only true if you use it, but for openings preparation it was easily the most powerful tool around. It didn't just provide trees for everything left and right, but you could work solely and directly in tree modes.

Albert
Do you mean it had a better tree system than Aquarium has now? Isn't Aquarium using the same tree functionality as used before in Chess Assistant?

Thanks,
Carl
I had the same question spinning in my mind since I read Albert's reply.......
Dr.D
Albert Silver

Post by Albert Silver »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
carldaman wrote:

Albert

Thanks,
Carl
I had the same question spinning in my mind since I read Albert's reply.......
Dr.D
I know it has some, but I don't know if it has all. I do know they did some trimming (rightfully) when they developed Aquarium, but don't know what got left out. My point was really that while CA itself may be old, it is not "old-fashioned" inasmuch as it is insufficient or inferior as a work tool.