MadChess 1.2 Released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

emadsen
Full name: Erik Madsen

MadChess 1.2 Released

Post by emadsen »

I've managed to add another 100+ ELO to MadChess. I estimate MadChess' playing strength is 2090 ELO at bullet time control. At blitz, I estimate its strength is 2140 ELO. The strength improvement is mostly due to more efficient move generation and an improved principal variation search algorithm. Those and other more cosmetic changes are detailed below.

Source code and EXEs available on the Downloads page.

1.Implemented a check evasion move selector.
2.Improved principal variation search algorithm.
3.Improved efficiency of aspiration windows. Window is increased in configurable steps instead of doubling.
4.Decreased positional bonuses.
5.Added bonuses for backward pawns, connected rooks (on file) and good attacks (attacks of greater value pieces).
6.Updated pawn endgame location values to encourage pawn pushes.
7.Improved time management of classical time controls (x moves in y seconds).
8.Improved memory usage of position cache.
9.Decreased allocations of move collection classes during search.
10.Removed duplicate search code at root node. Consolidated into a single search method.
11.Removed duplicate pawn promotion and en passant code. Consolidated into pawn class.
12.Added debug code to detect move generation errors.
My C# chess engine: https://www.madchess.net
Graham Banks

Re: MadChess 1.2 Released

Post by Graham Banks »

emadsen wrote:I've managed to add another 100+ ELO to MadChess. I estimate MadChess' playing strength is 2090 ELO at bullet time control. At blitz, I estimate its strength is 2140 ELO.
Good progress Erik. :)
How do you think MadChess would cope against the engines in my Division 7? http://kirill-kryukov.com/chess/discuss ... f=7&t=6910
gbanksnz at gmail.com
emadsen

Post by emadsen »

I'm not sure Graham. I'll do some testing over the next few days and let you know. Thanks for your interest.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

emadsen wrote:I'm not sure Graham. I'll do some testing over the next few days and let you know. Thanks for your interest.
MadChess 1.2 64-bit gauntlet currently running in TLCV.

http://home.pacific.net.au/~tommyinoz/client.zip
Host - GrahamCCRL.dyndns.org Port - 16074
gbanksnz at gmail.com
geots

Post by geots »

emadsen wrote:I've managed to add another 100+ ELO to MadChess. I estimate MadChess' playing strength is 2090 ELO at bullet time control. At blitz, I estimate its strength is 2140 ELO. The strength improvement is mostly due to more efficient move generation and an improved principal variation search algorithm. Those and other more cosmetic changes are detailed below.

Source code and EXEs available on the Downloads page.

1.Implemented a check evasion move selector.
2.Improved principal variation search algorithm.
3.Improved efficiency of aspiration windows. Window is increased in configurable steps instead of doubling.
4.Decreased positional bonuses.
5.Added bonuses for backward pawns, connected rooks (on file) and good attacks (attacks of greater value pieces).
6.Updated pawn endgame location values to encourage pawn pushes.
7.Improved time management of classical time controls (x moves in y seconds).
8.Improved memory usage of position cache.
9.Decreased allocations of move collection classes during search.
10.Removed duplicate search code at root node. Consolidated into a single search method.
11.Removed duplicate pawn promotion and en passant code. Consolidated into pawn class.
12.Added debug code to detect move generation errors.

I think the fact that your engine works for another tester/testers is wonderful. But for me, your first release worked. Since it- you have not had one that will install in either of my intel i5s or either of my intel i7s. When I try to to install, it says the gui has encountered a problem and has to close. I could be wrong- but I am guessing whoever it works for is using Arena or some other gui besides Fritz chessbase. And since I am not switching guis to adapt for a programmer- I suppose I won't be using your engine. If for some reason I cannot fathom, it is important to you that it work for me- you have my email address. Let me know if and when YOU have checked it in a Fritz gui and it works with no problems. I have already spent too much time working with it to try and get it to work correctly. The beta testing of it is over. I wish you all the success in the world. But you might as well know the sad truth. A strict UCI engine that will not work correctly for most people in a Fritz gui is an engine that is going nowhere fast.

But still- I wish you luck. (And I do realize this is an older post of yours- but it is what it is.)

gts
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

It works just fine here George under the Chessbase Fritz 13 GUI.

What happens when you double-click the exe and type UCI ?
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

geots

Post by geots »

Modern Times wrote:It works just fine here George under the Chessbase Fritz 13 GUI.

Ray- you got me there. "Double click the exe" when? During installation as usual, or in console mode before installation? And type it where?

gts
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

geots wrote:
Modern Times wrote:It works just fine here George under the Chessbase Fritz 13 GUI.

Ray- you got me there. "Double click the exe" when? During installation as usual, or in console mode before installation? And type it where?

gts
Before installation.
After doubleclicking on the exe, a pop-up console box will appear. Type uci and press enter.
Then it will come produce some uci info with a message at the end saying uci ok.
Close the console box and then install.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
emadsen

Post by emadsen »

When I try to to install, it says the gui has encountered a problem and has to close.
George,

I'm sorry you've had difficulty running MadChess. I have tested it successfully with Shredder 12, Fritz 13, and CuteChess CLI.

First, verify you have all these files in the MadChess directory.

Second, verify you have .NET 3.5 installed. Do you have this directory on your PC?

As others have suggested, a good troubleshooting step is to run MadChessEngine.exe in a console window. Then type "uci" without the quotes and hit Enter. Do you see this?

Lastly, search the Windows Event Log. Select Windows Logs > Application. Action > Find > Enter MadChess into the Find dialog. If you find any errors, send them to me.

Regards,
Erik