Help! They sold me Windows 8!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Help! They sold me Windows 8!

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Terry McCracken wrote:You should have waited for Windows 8.1 8-)
Indeed Terry because it will drop back to Windows 7 :lol:

Seriously,I feel bad for the people behind the Metro thingy in Windows 8....

It simply failed big time regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thanks God for this thread as I was willing to buy a new i7 laptop for my 6 years old son with Windows 8....

An i7 laptop he will get but with windows 7 regards,
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Thanks God for this thread as I was willing to buy a new i7 laptop for my 6 years old son with Windows 8....

Dr.D
if you buy one with Windows 8 Pro you are usually allowed to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro, the .iso is downloadable directly from Microsoft and you should also get a useable product key from Microsoft. -> I sold lot's of computers and Notebooks this year but so far none with Windows 8. In my opinion Metro doesn't make any sense when you have mouse and keyboard and no touchscreen. It might be nice on tablets and phones, but so far I simply did see no sense in buying a tablet for myself. I do not see anything they would offer to me which I can't do with my notebook, my tv or my desktop pc. Same reason why I still do not own a smartphone.

Greets, Thomas
ilari

Post by ilari »

hgm wrote:
lucasart wrote:The machine code runs natively, and whenever it does a Windows system call, Wine rerouts this to the equivalent Linux one. OK, this is surely a bit simplistic, but that's the idea. The key thing to remember is not an emulator.
Isn't this exactly what an emulator is supposed to do?
An emulator would also emulate the hardware (eg. the processor, sound card, etc.) instead of executing the code natively. If wine was an emulator, you could run it on other processor architectures than x86 and it would still be able to run x86 Windows programs. The downside is that it would be really slow. In Wine's case it's better to just implement the Windows API.
Don

Post by Don »

ilari wrote:
hgm wrote:
lucasart wrote:The machine code runs natively, and whenever it does a Windows system call, Wine rerouts this to the equivalent Linux one. OK, this is surely a bit simplistic, but that's the idea. The key thing to remember is not an emulator.
Isn't this exactly what an emulator is supposed to do?
An emulator would also emulate the hardware (eg. the processor, sound card, etc.) instead of executing the code natively. If wine was an emulator, you could run it on other processor architectures than x86 and it would still be able to run x86 Windows programs. The downside is that it would be really slow. In Wine's case it's better to just implement the Windows API.
Yes, that is exactly the point. But it's really nomenclature and terminology that is more or less standard or agreed upon but it's not very accurate.

In reality it IS IN FACT emulating windows. It is NOT emulating the processor but it's not called a processor emulator, it's an operating system emulator.

But one goes with accepted terminology.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

Thomas Mayer wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:Thanks God for this thread as I was willing to buy a new i7 laptop for my 6 years old son with Windows 8....

Dr.D
if you buy one with Windows 8 Pro you are usually allowed to downgrade to Windows 7 Pro, the .iso is downloadable directly from Microsoft and you should also get a useable product key from Microsoft. -> I sold lot's of computers and Notebooks this year but so far none with Windows 8. In my opinion Metro doesn't make any sense when you have mouse and keyboard and no touchscreen. It might be nice on tablets and phones, but so far I simply did see no sense in buying a tablet for myself. I do not see anything they would offer to me which I can't do with my notebook, my tv or my desktop pc. Same reason why I still do not own a smartphone.

Greets, Thomas
Thanks Thomas :D

So I am not the only guy on the planet that don't like and won't buy a smartphone......

What's Up is a waste of time regards,
Dr.D
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

ilari wrote:An emulator would also emulate the hardware (eg. the processor, sound card, etc.) instead of executing the code natively. If wine was an emulator, you could run it on other processor architectures than x86 and it would still be able to run x86 Windows programs.
I thought that was called an 'interpreter'.

In any case it seems to me that wine intends to emulate Windows OS. Not a complete PC. Nothing would ever 'emulate' the hardware at the level of voltage swings on transistors, or Brownian motion of individual electrons. There always is a limited scope. By that logic no emulator would ever be an emulator, because it never emulates the full Universe.

[Edit] Oh, I see that Don already replied the same.
Don

Post by Don »

hgm wrote:
ilari wrote:An emulator would also emulate the hardware (eg. the processor, sound card, etc.) instead of executing the code natively. If wine was an emulator, you could run it on other processor architectures than x86 and it would still be able to run x86 Windows programs.
I thought that was called an 'interpreter'.

In any case it seems to me that wine intends to emulate Windows OS. Not a complete PC. Nothing would ever 'emulate' the hardware at the level of voltage swings on transistors, or Brownian motion of individual electrons. There always is a limited scope. By that logic no emulator would ever be an emulator, because it never emulates the full Universe.

[Edit] Oh, I see that Don already replied the same.
Yes, I completely agree with you on this.
Capital punishment would be more effective as a preventive measure if it were administered prior to the crime.
Thomas Mayer

Post by Thomas Mayer »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:

Dr.D

Greets, Thomas

So I am not the only guy on the planet that don't like and won't buy a smartphone......
well, I may buy soon one because I have some crazy App-ideas which may never return all the effort I might spent in them (at least not when we talk about money) but may be a lot of fun to work on... :) - But well, then I know why I've bought one... :)

In fact I am very sure that smartphones will survive the hype, there are definitely things which they might be useful for. But tablets ? What the hell should I do with a tablet ?

Greets, Thomas
Don

Post by Don »

Thomas Mayer wrote:
Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:
Thomas Mayer wrote:

Dr.D

Greets, Thomas

well, I may buy soon one because I have some crazy App-ideas which may never return all the effort I might spent in them (at least not when we talk about money) but may be a lot of fun to work on... :) - But well, then I know why I've bought one... :)

In fact I am very sure that smartphones will survive the hype, there are definitely things which they might be useful for. But tablets ? What the hell should I do with a tablet ?

Greets, Thomas
I have a tablet and I do like it, but really I would have preferred more improvements and downsizing of laptops. The "net-books" were quite usable and actually fully functional computers. tablets and smartphones are crippled up version of note-book computers.

There is some advantage to touching the screen for some applications so it's not all just a downside - but to make a tablet or phone really usable you need a real keyboard.

All of this is just part of the dumbing down of society in my opinion, less typing, less reading, more pictures, more mindless eye-candy.