I Need Some Help In the Worst Possible Way-Help!!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

Re: Thanks, James...........................................

Post by geots »

With all the help Pete, Ray and John have given me over time, and now with you- I believe if I had you 4 at my side we could ride into hell and put the fire out. I shall definitely make a copy from this link- it is a keeper.

I just wonder until I study it further- I would imagine it would be some company and not individuals going to the trouble to do this. It's not like I'm Wall Street or NASA. I wonder in a list of top 3 reasons- what someone would expect to gain from this.

BTW, I'm not a newbie when it comes to computers and computer chess. But all the rest- for the most part I just got started too late in life. And at 64, there is just a limit to the time you want to spend learning rather than applying what you DO know. And with friends like Ray, Pete Skinner, John, you and so many others on this forum.......................... sometimes having ACCESS to knowledge is better than having the knowledge. (Does that sentence make any sense at all?

Best and thanks again,

george
geots

For James and John- from george

Post by geots »

jundery wrote:
geots wrote: My question to the people who say don't delete it- if it is so important, why is it not in my other 4-Core i5, and I know it has not been in this system over a couple months- and it made it fine w/o it for over a year.
Don't delete it because it is a critical core Windows component, WMI is the Windows management interface, the only reason you see it using CPU is that other software on your computer (and Windows itself) uses it. When it's using a lot of CPU it is really some other software that makes it do this. Normally I wouldn't expect it to show up in task manager, or only briefly if it did.

Here is a technical link that would allow you to find the culprit if you are really interested. http://blogs.msdn.com/b/wmi/archive/200 ... llain.aspx

James

James, both these "Search Protect by Conduit- as I said I unticked each one in Admn. Tools/System config./Startup. When I did that, the WmiPrvSe.exe disappeared from Task Mgr. It is no longer there. Of course neither is it there in my other i5 4-Core task mgr. either.

What concerns me: you both told me to "DO NOT delete the exe." When I unticked both Search Conduit boxes and I no longer see it in task mgr.- where did it go? My Fritz gui works perfectly since it is no longer there- but by unchecking those 2 boxes the more I wonder if I deleted the exe and will now cause more problems somewhere else. Can either of you help me here or basically tell me something that might make me feel better about what I did. Was it wrong?

Thanks,

george
jundery

Re: For James and John- from george

Post by jundery »

geots wrote: James, both these "Search Protect by Conduit- as I said I unticked each one in Admn. Tools/System config./Startup. When I did that, the WmiPrvSe.exe disappeared from Task Mgr. It is no longer there. Of course neither is it there in my other i5 4-Core task mgr. either.

What concerns me: you both told me to "DO NOT delete the exe." When I unticked both Search Conduit boxes and I no longer see it in task mgr.- where did it go? My Fritz gui works perfectly since it is no longer there- but by unchecking those 2 boxes the more I wonder if I deleted the exe and will now cause more problems somewhere else. Can either of you help me here or basically tell me something that might make me feel better about what I did. Was it wrong?
I meant don't delete WmiPrvSE.exe, and was worried you meant that.

"Search Protect by Conduit" should absolutely be wiped from your machines, a quick internet search says it is malware that changes your homepage and default search engine.

James
geots

For All Concerned Wirh this Issue- Please Read!

Post by geots »

jundery wrote:
geots wrote: James, both these "Search Protect by Conduit- as I said I unticked each one in Admn. Tools/System config./Startup. When I did that, the WmiPrvSe.exe disappeared from Task Mgr. It is no longer there. Of course neither is it there in my other i5 4-Core task mgr. either.

I meant don't delete WmiPrvSE.exe, and was worried you meant that.

"Search Protect by Conduit" should absolutely be wiped from your machines, a quick internet search says it is malware that changes your homepage and default search engine.

James

I finally gave up as it started happening again, upon a restart- this time worse. Over my head, I finally did what I should have done in the beginning. I got on the phone (a simple email or PM will do) and called who I like to refer to as "the man". If he cannot fix your problem, no use going over his head- trust me on this one. This is part of the way he makes his living- meaning Pete (Pete Skinner).

He emailed me what I call a binary and told me to run it. I did, then he told me to give him the code numbers that showed up. Again I did that. Then that gave him complete control of my computer. He went thru a process in each of the 4 usernames I have on that machine, which means I had to run the binary 4 diff. times and give him some new numbers. If not for that- he would have been thru in 4 minutes or so, where it took 15 or 20 minutes with cleaning 4 usernames.

I DO NOT tell you this because along with Ray Banks, he is the best friend I have on the internet. The guy is just slam-bam damn good. He doesn't just talk- he makes the walk. I would find it hard to believe if the people who started "Conduit" know more about its inner workings than Pete does. The girl who works for Itok and took over my computer once when I had problems was I thought a genius. She was good- no doubt. But if she is looking for Pete, she best look UP not eye level or down. I'm just saying- you got problems and can't handle it- a call to Pete means you get it fixed and run NO risk of hurting anything.

All the best and a HUGE thanks to Pete-

george