Syzygy EGTB's via Torrent Thread

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jshriver

Syzygy EGTB's via Torrent Thread

Post by jshriver »

I setup a torrent site on my oics server.

http://oics.olympuschess.com/tracker/index.php

Right now I successfully created, added and seeding a torrent for the sbases345.tar.gz which is just under 1 gig.

Working on the 3-4-5 individual file set as well, and with the ability for webseeding since I am hosting those here:

http://olympuschess.com/egtb/sbases/

Hoping within the week to get the full 151gig 6men set up via this method.

Fair warning, if things go awry I may need to take it down. Despite the fact that torrents were created for this very means, it does make a bit nervous. Though I have tried to lock down the tracker as much as I can so that only I can add files to the system.
jshriver

Re: Syzygy EGTB's via Torrent Thread

Post by jshriver »

Before adding the full 6men set, I would be interested if some people could try downloading what's available (even partially) as part of a stress test on the server.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Good, in my system.
Thanks.
:wink:

velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Good, in my system.
Thanks.
:wink:
Last edited by velmarin on Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Actually this makes me very happy. Looked like someone was starting to grab the file but noticed no upload on my end.

So the "web seeding" is working!
Kirill Kryukov

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

jshriver wrote:Actually this makes me very happy. Looked like someone was starting to grab the file but noticed no upload on my end.

So the "web seeding" is working!
Nice work, Josh! I downloaded the 3-4-5 set smoothly (even though I already generated it before).

If you accept suggestions, I suggest to remove the tar.bz2 torrent. Currently it wastes bandwidth and more importantly can be a source of confusion.

Actually I wouldn't worry about bandwidth - in the long run anyone's personal bandwidth is irrelevant. Much more important is to have reliable tracker that you can keep running for a very long time.

Looking forward to the 6-piece set. :D
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Will you be making separate torrents for the WDL and DTZ sets?
Certainly hope so.
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

Ozymandias wrote:Will you be making separate torrents for the WDL and DTZ sets?
Certainly hope so.
Actually I hadn't thought of that. At the moment a torrent is running live for the entire set.

Can understand the reasoning for this, but at the same time, the more people we have going into it the faster it'll be for everyone. So fragmenting it would reduce speed.

Then again ;) I'm new to this. So will take suggestions. I did remove the tarball torrent since it can be downloaded directly from my website and agree with Kirill.

Edit:

One of the nice options in a single torrent with multiple files, is if you wanted to you could pick and choose which file you want specifically (handy if a single file or two get's corrupt).
jshriver

Post by jshriver »

For those who are going to download the 6men set, and already have 3-4-5.

The client will create a folder called syzygy6. If you move the 3-4-5 files into that folder and restart the torrent client, it'll look at them and mark them as downloaded and will start feeding the rest of the swarm while you pick up the rest of the files.

So those who have 3-4-5 already have a head start. :)

-Josh
Kirill Kryukov

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

jshriver wrote:For those who are going to download the 6men set, and already have 3-4-5.

The client will create a folder called syzygy6. If you move the 3-4-5 files into that folder and restart the torrent client, it'll look at them and mark them as downloaded and will start feeding the rest of the swarm while you pick up the rest of the files.

So those who have 3-4-5 already have a head start. :)

-Josh
Good point by Juan that WDL and DTZ are better as separate torrents. Also, since 3-4-5 is already shared as one torrent, I think it's more consistent to offer a set of just 6-piece files instead of complete 3-4-5-6.

So, 4 torrents in total. :-) WDL-3-4-5, DTZ-3-4-5, WDL-6, DTZ-6.

BTW this will be still much simpler than what we did back in the Nalimov 6-piece sharing project: Then we divided them into 3+3 and 4+2 (there was no 5+1), and also into pawnful and pawnless. This time perhaps there's no need for this as the whole set is smaller.

(Sorry for always complaining.. :-) Excellent work, just trying to make it better.)