Anyone familiar with Tornado 4.88 engine

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

vb4

Anyone familiar with Tornado 4.88 engine

Post by vb4 »

I have some pgn files that for the most part were clear to read until I came across the following line. can someone explain what {Buch 0s} means in the following? I noticed there are times that I see 0s or 1s or 2s ????

1. e4 {Buch 0s} 1... c5 {Buch 0s} 2. Nf3 {Buch 0s} 2... e6 {Buch 0s} 3.

Thx,

Les
Kirill Kryukov

Re: Anyone familiar with Tornado 4.88 engine

Post by Kirill Kryukov »

vb4 wrote:I have some pgn files that for the most part were clear to read until I came across the following line. can someone explain what {Buch 0s} means in the following? I noticed there are times that I see 0s or 1s or 2s ????

1. e4 {Buch 0s} 1... c5 {Buch 0s} 2. Nf3 {Buch 0s} 2... e6 {Buch 0s} 3.

Thx,

Les
I guess that {Buch 0s} means that the move was taken from the book, and that 0 seconds were spent on that move.
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Kirill,

Yes that is what I thought, that it indicated book opeings but towards the end of one pgn file I was looking at it had the following line:

51. Kg1 {-6.86/20 3:34m} 51... Nxh3+ {Buch 0s} 52. Kh1 {-7.29/20 2:51m}

Now this puzzled me and was responsible for this post. Can you think about what this is doing towards the end of the game Kirill ?

Thx,

Les
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Was it Shredder GUI ? I think I've seen this before. If the engine moves instantly, Shredder thinks it is a book move.
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Ray,

Yes I believe that it is an opening book flag however look at my previous post and I need to know why does it appear once at the end of a full game? There is no way at that stage of the game it is being recognized as an opening book move?

Thx,

Les
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

vb4 wrote:Hi Ray,

Yes I believe that it is an opening book flag however look at my previous post and I need to know why does it appear once at the end of a full game? There is no way at that stage of the game it is being recognized as an opening book move?

Thx,

Les
It isn't a book move, but for some reason instant moves towards the end of the game are flagged as such.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Hi Graham,
Thx for your input. If that is in fact the case do you think it is reasonable for me to assume the acs is whatever is being reported? I know the format I see most of the times goes like this:

{+4.51/16 3:34m}

Meaning:

ce = 451
acd = 16
acs = 214 sec.

Since this is near the end of the game as I mentioned before what do I do since I dont have any of theother 2 values? Your thoughts?

Thx,

Les
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

vb4 wrote:Hi Graham,
Thx for your input. If that is in fact the case do you think it is reasonable for me to assume the acs is whatever is being reported? I know the format I see most of the times goes like this:

{+4.51/16 3:34m}

Meaning:

ce = 451
acd = 16
acs = 214 sec.

Since this is near the end of the game as I mentioned before what do I do since I dont have any of theother 2 values? Your thoughts?

Thx,

Les
The evaluation for those instant moves isn't likely to be much different from the most recent move where the evaluation was given.
That's about all I can add.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Perhaps the engine did not provide the other two values? The GUI can only put into the PGN what the engine reports. It cannot dream up scores out of nothing. If an engine decides to make an immediate move, e.g. because it only has a single legal move, it might not even have calculated a score itself.

And perhaps Shredder GUI does consider any move that comes in, and is not accompanied by thinking info (score, depth etc.) as a book move.
vb4

Post by vb4 »

Thanks Graham