From Linda: IMPORTANT From George- Please Read!

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

geots

From Linda: IMPORTANT From George- Please Read!

Post by geots »

I am typing what george has written. I don't really understand any of it- such as no. of cores, etc. So here it is:

"If possible, I am going to run a 6-Core match between Komodo 6 and Houdini 3. It will be at a time control of 60'+15". More than long enough to be classified as a long time control. It will be the "Best of 12". So 6.5 points will win the match. I will try to start it Monday, or possibly Tues. Setting it up is really the only hard part- after that they just do the work themselves. Linda will give an up-to-date report following the conclusion of each game.

For me- this is the "World Championship". I am not interested- after it is finished- and will pay no attention to- whining about how the control was wrong, or the gui was wrong, or the hash used wasn't conducive to this or that. And how it wasn't enough games. There has already been enough belly-aching to last me the rest of my life, which strangely enough..............

Anyway- Stockfish has not been forgotten. The Good Lord willing- he will get his chance ag. the winner.

And BTW- it will be played on my Intel i7 Alienware AURORA R4. (If it turns out to be more than I am able to deal with at this time- Linda will let you know.)

'Thank you' to all my friends."

Thank you,
Linda P Speight
Graham Banks

Re: From Linda: IMPORTANT From George- Please Read!

Post by Graham Banks »

geots wrote:I am typing what george has written. I don't really understand any of it- such as no. of cores, etc. So here it is:

"If possible, I am going to run a 6-Core match between Komodo 6 and Houdini 3. It will be at a time control of 60'+15". More than long enough to be classified as a long time control. It will be the "Best of 12". So 6.5 points will win the match. I will try to start it Monday, or possibly Tues. Setting it up is really the only hard part- after that they just do the work themselves. Linda will give an up-to-date report following the conclusion of each game.

For me- this is the "World Championship". I am not interested- after it is finished- and will pay no attention to- whining about how the control was wrong, or the gui was wrong, or the hash used wasn't conducive to this or that. And how it wasn't enough games. There has already been enough belly-aching to last me the rest of my life, which strangely enough..............

Anyway- Stockfish has not been forgotten. The Good Lord willing- he will get his chance ag. the winner.

And BTW- it will be played on my Intel i7 Alienware AURORA R4. (If it turns out to be more than I am able to deal with at this time- Linda will let you know.)

'Thank you' to all my friends."

Thank you,
Linda P Speight
George shouldn't pay any attention to what others think about the conditions he chooses for his testing.
He should just do what interests him the most and gives him the most enjoyment.

Looking forward to his results. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Good luck to all, George and Linda.

Enjoy chess as much as possible.

Greetings.
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

Linda,

I've been away from computer chess for a while, work has been incredibly busy for me
and I just haven't had the time to work on it. But, I checked the forum this morning
and I'm shocked (and dismayed) to read that both George and Don are sick with cancer.
At a time like this words are inadequate, but they are all I have to express my feelings.

Please, let George know that we are all thinking of him and wish him a full recovery.
My wife Jan and I fought cancer about 3 years ago, so I know how devastating chemo
can be. He's lucky to have someone like you to take care of him and love him. I wish
you both the best.

regards,
--tom
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

Forget about the engine tourneys and let George focus on getting better. If doing these matches helps him get better then fine, otherwise these tourneys can wait! Please give my best regards to George and let him know we all wish him a speedy recovery.
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

M ANSARI wrote:Forget about the engine tourneys and let George focus on getting better. If doing these matches helps him get better then fine, otherwise these tourneys can wait! Please give my best regards to George and let him know we all wish him a speedy recovery.
M,
maybe it is best for some to continue enjoyable activities.
Maybe there are positive chemicals released in our systems during these activities.

I am 8 years in to stage 4 Lymphoma, also it is in my bone marrow.
I just finished 7 rounds of chemo because I had a tumor in my pallet, tumor was getting bigger. Tumor flat now after chemo.
I am back to work again.
I have several hobbies that keep me busy.
Not sure what type of cancer George and Don have.
kgburcham
ernest

Post by ernest »

Sorry to hear that, Kim!

With today's medecine, your condition can be stable or get better for many many years.

And it is true that it is best for some to continue enjoyable activities.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

kgburcham wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:Forget about the engine tourneys and let George focus on getting better. If doing these matches helps him get better then fine, otherwise these tourneys can wait! Please give my best regards to George and let him know we all wish him a speedy recovery.
M,
Maybe there are positive chemicals released in our systems during these activities.

I just finished 7 rounds of chemo because I had a tumor in my pallet, tumor was getting bigger. Tumor flat now after chemo.
I am back to work again.
kgburcham
Sorry to hear that you're also afflicted with a serious illness.
Please take care.

Graham.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

kgburcham wrote:
M,

I am back to work again.
kgburcham
IIRC,you applied successfully the method of controling your blood pH and this is an essencial approach in the treatment of Lymphoma....

I can go much deeper in this issue but....

Lets enjoy our great hobby and hope for the best :D
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
M ANSARI

Post by M ANSARI »

kgburcham wrote:
M,

I am back to work again.
kgburcham

Wow ... really sorry to hear that and hope that you have jumped the hurdle. All the best!