Komodo release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jesse Gersenson

Re: Komodo release

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

IanO wrote:Bug report: your distribution bundle does not set the correct mode for the Mac executable. It is chmod 644 instead of 755. Same problem for the other executables, or it might be some security feature of the default Mac unarchiver...
Woopsy-daisy. It's fixed now.

What sort of kn/s is everyone getting?
leavenfish

Re: slight problem

Post by leavenfish »

I spoke too soon. Even With Komodo 5.1r2 as the default engine. I'm showing a depth of 54 right now - Analysis pane, 3 lines considered.

I've been told the programmers knew of this and were looking into it...but...

Well, I will not buy Komodo 6 unless I know this bug is fixed.
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

Brian, PM Don Dailey, explain the bug and ask him if it's been fixed, or if he could fix it. I'm sure he'd want that one fixed.
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Done.
It does occur to me that the poster probably meant Larry was aware of it and not Don. Thanks!
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

Don wrote:We plan a release of Komodo 6 on Friday.

This does come with some bad news concerning the future status of Komodo. As many of you know I have a fatal illness. It has progressed to a point where it has now become an acute form of Lukemia. I'm losing this battle. It is quite possible this will be the last Komodo release that I am involved in.

But there are plans in the works to continue with Komodo. Larry Kaufman of course is my business partner and friend and he is intimately familiar with Komodo and is a big part of what makes it so strong and he does plan to continue. But don't count me out quite yet, I'm still fighting but it's unclear if I will have the strength to continue with computer chess and I will be on a type of chemotherapy indefinitely. There are more important things than computer chess which come first but if the energy is there I may be able to continue for a short time.

I don't want to sound too melodramatic here but I would like to say that I have very much enjoyed being a part of the computer chess community even with the battles that have gone on here! And all of those bad things I said about you ..... I take them all back :-)
Thank you. For all these computer Chess years.

I'm sure(even if you don't believe it and probably i don't believe it, but it gives me some solace by believing it) after 100, 2000 or 10000 years or more, all of us here will meet again somewhere somehow to discuss about Chess....

For now concentrate on getting better and win this disease, because medicine can really do miracles. I hope you the very best and to have soon a full recovery.
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
bupalo

Post by bupalo »

Don , you have created a masterpiece. I'm using both komodo and houdini for corrispondence chess and komodo is finding wonderful moves, the only problem is the you have to run at list 15 minutes at 3000 Kn/S to get interesting things . Hope that the medicine will make a miracle like some moves of komodo
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Sacrilege I suppose...but why anyone would use engines in 'correspondence chess' is beyond me...except that others use them and there is no way to prevent 'cheating'. I've likened it to a swimming meet, but with each side using self propelled water tight engines to get them around the course and to the finish line. It's a 'competition' I guess...but it's not swimming.

Be that as it may, I am going to look for some real world analysis of positions to see where improvements might have been made over the previous Komodo before I spring for a 3rd Komodo engine. All I ever see is nebulous things like 'improved x or y'...maybe those details are secrete but at this point, I would like to know.
George

Post by George »

Graham Banks wrote:

This does come with some bad news concerning the future status of Komodo. As many of you know I have a fatal illness. It has progressed to a point where it has now become an acute form of Lukemia. I'm losing this battle. It is quite possible this will be the last Komodo release that I am involved in.

But there are plans in the works to continue with Komodo. Larry Kaufman of course is my business partner and friend and he is intimately familiar with Komodo and is a big part of what makes it so strong and he does plan to continue. But don't count me out quite yet, I'm still fighting but it's unclear if I will have the strength to continue with computer chess and I will be on a type of chemotherapy indefinitely. There are more important things than computer chess which come first but if the energy is there I may be able to continue for a short time.

I don't want to sound too melodramatic here but I would like to say that I have very much enjoyed being a part of the computer chess community even with the battles that have gone on here! And all of those bad things I said about you ..... I take them all back :-)

Don
It's really hard to know what to say Don, except to wish you the very best in your continuing battle against this nasty illness, as well as thank you for your tremendous ongoing efforts with Komodo.

Sort of puts things in perspective for all of us though. Life is way more important than computer chess.

Much respect,
Graham.
I should add that we should all pray for your health, and fast recovery.
George

Post by George »

Graham Banks wrote:

Don
It's really hard to know what to say Don, except to wish you the very best in your continuing battle against this nasty illness, as well as thank you for your tremendous ongoing efforts with Komodo.

Sort of puts things in perspective for all of us though. Life is way more important than computer chess.

Much respect,
Graham.
I should add that we should all pray for your health, and fast recovery.
gleperlier

Post by gleperlier »

I just bought Komodo 6.

Gab