Stockfish DD: a new official release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
reflectionofpower
Posts: 1460
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:28 pm
Location: USA

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by reflectionofpower » Sat Nov 30, 2013 3:35 pm

This version hums a little faster than the already fast version 4.0

Ryan Benitez
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 12:21 am
Location: Portland Oregon

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by Ryan Benitez » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:25 pm

Uri Blass wrote:
Ryan Benitez wrote:Stockfish is an amazing project in that it is possibly the worlds strongest chess engine and there is almost nothing to learn from the source code. Everything it does was well known to programmers in 2005 but Stockfish put together a great test method and implemented the existing ideas in a more consistent and probably better tuned way. Another great part of Stockfish is that it shows that eventually the GPL wins over the Clone Groups (TM). Don beating the clones as well is a pleasant surprise and a testament to his skill. It is sad that Don is no longer with us, he and Stockfish are the primary reasons that computer chess has recently become interesting again for the first time since about 2005.
I disagree with the opinion that there is almost nothing to learn from the source code.

The source code is what makes stockfish significantly stronger than programs of 2005
There is a reason for it(and not only testing) and I believe that it is possible to understand a lot of the reasons.

I do not claim to understand the reasons and I did not try to do it but the way to learn should be to give a logical reason for every part that helps in the code.

For example something that it not related to stockfish:
If a player does not understand why the rook is better than the bishop I can explain that the rook has the following advantages relative to bishop:
1)It controls more squares on the board
2)It can be in every square in the board when the bishop can go only to half of the squares.

Basically every part that is productive has some logical reason behind it(even if you do not understand it) and I think that the way to learn
is to try to discover what are the reasons.
You are right that testing is not the only reason Stockfish is so strong. It does help though and is likely to help even more in the future. The way I see it Fruit did not implement anything that people did not already know about, it only thumped people over the head with what we already knew. A wake up call. Even today people are desperate to attribute some trick or "new idea" but it is not to be found. I see Stockfish the same way, it is the best and most consistent implementation of a chess engine today. No tricks, no gimmicks, just a well written chess program.

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9714
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:44 pm

mclane wrote:Very Nice to remember Don this Way.
Fully agreed my friend....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

User avatar
Dr.Wael Deeb
Posts: 9714
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:44 pm
Location: Amman,Jordan

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb » Sat Nov 30, 2013 4:46 pm

Ryan Benitez wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Ryan Benitez wrote:Stockfish is an amazing project in that it is possibly the worlds strongest chess engine and there is almost nothing to learn from the source code. Everything it does was well known to programmers in 2005 but Stockfish put together a great test method and implemented the existing ideas in a more consistent and probably better tuned way. Another great part of Stockfish is that it shows that eventually the GPL wins over the Clone Groups (TM). Don beating the clones as well is a pleasant surprise and a testament to his skill. It is sad that Don is no longer with us, he and Stockfish are the primary reasons that computer chess has recently become interesting again for the first time since about 2005.
I disagree with the opinion that there is almost nothing to learn from the source code.

The source code is what makes stockfish significantly stronger than programs of 2005
There is a reason for it(and not only testing) and I believe that it is possible to understand a lot of the reasons.

I do not claim to understand the reasons and I did not try to do it but the way to learn should be to give a logical reason for every part that helps in the code.

For example something that it not related to stockfish:
If a player does not understand why the rook is better than the bishop I can explain that the rook has the following advantages relative to bishop:
1)It controls more squares on the board
2)It can be in every square in the board when the bishop can go only to half of the squares.

Basically every part that is productive has some logical reason behind it(even if you do not understand it) and I think that the way to learn
is to try to discover what are the reasons.
You are right that testing is not the only reason Stockfish is so strong. It does help though and is likely to help even more in the future. The way I see it Fruit did not implement anything that people did not already know about, it only thumped people over the head with what we already knew. A wake up call. Even today people are desperate to attribute some trick or "new idea" but it is not to be found. I see Stockfish the same way, it is the best and most consistent implementation of a chess engine today. No tricks, no gimmicks, just a well written chess program.
I also don't agree that the testing framework is the main reason for Stockfish impressive performance....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….

lech
Posts: 1077
Joined: Sun Feb 14, 2010 9:02 pm

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by lech » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:00 pm

Is the parameter "Contempt Factor" some trick to solve the problem of the value draw ( != 0 ??) ?
Maybe, I can't be friendly, but let me be useful.

Åsmund Hammerstad
Posts: 3
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 3:12 pm
Location: Norway

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by Åsmund Hammerstad » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:38 am

Why is the engine called "New Engine" when i analyse in Fritz Live book/Let's check?

leavenfish
Posts: 282
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 6:23 am

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by leavenfish » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:26 am

Uri Blass wrote:
Ryan Benitez wrote: .

For example something that it not related to stockfish:
If a player does not understand why the rook is better than the bishop I can explain that the rook has the following advantages relative to bishop:
1)It controls more squares on the board
2)It can be in every square in the board when the bishop can go only to half of the squares.
But this is simple minded 'bean counting', Uri. Things are relative in chess.

Some pretty fair 'chess thinkers' would opine that Rooks are not very agile attackers and that Bishops are often far the better piece when it comes to attacking play.

ZirconiumX
Posts: 1327
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 9:14 am

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by ZirconiumX » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:14 am

Åsmund Hammerstad wrote:Why is the engine called "New Engine" when i analyse in Fritz Live book/Let's check?
At least it isn't called "Predateur"...

Matthew:out
Some believe in the almighty dollar.

I believe in the almighty printf statement.

Modern Times
Posts: 2557
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:02 pm

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by Modern Times » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:43 pm

SzG wrote:I find two executables in the package. One for 32-bit machines, one for modern ones. I have a not particularly modern 64-bit machine. Am I confined to using the 32-bit exe?
Does it not work on the Q6600 ? They should provide one in the official download that does, but anyway you can get one here:

http://abrok.eu/stockfish/

Search for "Stockfish DD" and you'll find all the exes

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 34122
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Stockfish DD: a new official release

Post by Graham Banks » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:33 pm

SzG wrote:
Modern Times wrote:
SzG wrote:I find two executables in the package. One for 32-bit machines, one for modern ones. I have a not particularly modern 64-bit machine. Am I confined to using the 32-bit exe?
Does it not work on the Q6600 ? They should provide one in the official download that does, but anyway you can get one here:

http://abrok.eu/stockfish/

Search for "Stockfish DD" and you'll find all the exes
No, it doesn't. Accidentally, the 'modern' version also displays that it is SSE4.2. :shock:
However, the 64-bit version does work. Thanks for the hint.
http://abrok.eu/stockfish/c5bb9b9da943c ... 10_x64.exe
gbanksnz at gmail.com

Post Reply