Best chess program for iPad

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JuLieN
Full name: Julien Marcel

Re:Best chess engine for iPad, how much memory should I get?

Post by JuLieN »

Actually, the new iPad comes with 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB of flash storage. :)

And this is where George got confused I think, between RAM and storage. All iPads and iPhones have 1 GB of RAM, but they come with different storage capacities (the flash memory is the equivalent of the hard drive on your computer, George.)

I recently bought the new iPad Mini Retina and this is by far the best mobile devices I've seen (through the years, I've had the iPad 1, 2, 3 and a Google Nexus 7, and now the iPad Mini Retina). It is so fast, snappy and nice to use!

About movies, the iPad's storage capacity doesn't always matter, for example if, like I do, you have them on a NAS : then you just watch them through streaming.
"The only good bug is a dead bug." (Don Dailey)
[Blog: http://tinyurl.com/predateur ] [Facebook: http://tinyurl.com/fbpredateur ] [MacEngines: http://tinyurl.com/macengines ]
George

Post by George »

JuLieN wrote:Actually, the new iPad comes with 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB of flash storage. :)

And this is where George got confused I think, between RAM and storage. All iPads and iPhones have 1 GB of RAM, but they come with different storage capacities (the flash memory is the equivalent of the hard drive on your computer, George.)

I recently bought the new iPad Mini Retina and this is by far the best mobile devices I've seen (through the years, I've had the iPad 1, 2, 3 and a Google Nexus 7, and now the iPad Mini Retina). It is so fast, snappy and nice to use!

About movies, the iPad's storage capacity doesn't always matter, for example if, like I do, you have them on a NAS : then you just watch them through streaming.
Thanks for the clarification :wink:
royb

Post by royb »

JuLieN wrote:Actually, the new iPad comes with 16, 32, 64 or 128 GB of flash storage. :)

Ah yes, correct you are. The 16 GB model slipped under my personal radar as my old 32 GB ipad was too limited for my business use cases. Sorry for the oversight.
Ralph Stoesser

Re: Best chess program for iPad

Post by Ralph Stoesser »

Chess Tiger user interface is marvelous. I love the UI themes and piece sets. Best engine is of course Stockfish on the new 64bit iDevices. A pittly that we can't combine the Chess Tiger UI with SF's engine power. Also a pity that Tord seems to have stalled the development of the iOs Stockfish App.
George

Post by George »

royb wrote:

Ah yes, correct you are. The 16 GB model slipped under my personal radar as my old 32 GB ipad was too limited for my business use cases. Sorry for the oversight.
The latest Ipad 64 bit multi core with Stockfish, should be around 2750

Here is the benchmark of an iPhone 5S 64-bit Apple A7 processor, which is said to result in the handset running around 31 percent faster than its sixth-generation predecessor.
http://osxdaily.com/2012/09/16/iphone-5 ... b-ram-cpu/

The Ipad 64 bit Multi-Core is much faster than the Iphone 5S ==>
http://www.primatelabs.com/blog/2013/10 ... enchmarks/
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

Ralph Stoesser wrote:A pittly that we can't combine the Chess Tiger UI with SF's engine power.
SF's UI will continue to evolve and (in my eyes) improve, but you're right that it will never be similar to Chess Tiger's UI, which I personally don't like (although there are many worse UIs out there).
Also a pity that Tord seems to have stalled the development of the iOs Stockfish App.
What? How frequent updates do you expect? The latest public version is something like three months old, which really isn't that much. Since I prefer some variety in life, and I am currently working full-time on an unrelated computer chess project (which I'm not yet allowed to tell you about, but which would be unexciting to CCC members anyway), I prefer to prioritise other hobbies than computer chess in my limited spare time right now, but I expect to be able to spend some time on SF for iOS again in a month or two.
tomgdrums

Post by tomgdrums »

Tord Romstad wrote:
Ralph Stoesser wrote:A pittly that we can't combine the Chess Tiger UI with SF's engine power.
SF's UI will continue to evolve and (in my eyes) improve, but you're right that it will never be similar to Chess Tiger's UI, which I personally don't like (although there are many worse UIs out there).
Also a pity that Tord seems to have stalled the development of the iOs Stockfish App.
What? How frequent updates do you expect? The latest public version is something like three months old, which really isn't that much. Since I prefer some variety in life, and I am currently working full-time on an unrelated computer chess project (which I'm not yet allowed to tell you about, but which would be unexciting to CCC members anyway), I prefer to prioritise other hobbies than computer chess in my limited spare time right now, but I expect to be able to spend some time on SF for iOS again in a month or two.

The Chesstiger app UI is the most fun and user friendly for those who like to play and study chess. (the Chessbase app on android is actually quite nice)
Tord Romstad

Post by Tord Romstad »

tomgdrums wrote:The Chesstiger app UI is the most fun and user friendly for those who like to play and study chess.
Perhaps I should clarify that I didn't mean to claim that the Chess Tiger user interface is bad, and that I admire, respect and genuinely like its author. I just find it visually unattractive, because of the textured backgrounds, the sound effects, the shadows, and the shiny buttons. The "Clean" visual theme is the least ugly, but even there, the wooden border around the board, the shadows and the buttons remain annoying. I have no major objections to the functionality of the user interface, I am only disappointed with how it looks.

Of course, like always, tastes differ. It's evident that a lot of people like the look and feel of Chess Tiger. But since I am personally not a fan of that look, I am of course not going to make Stockfish for iOS more similar to that. On the other hand, it is quite possible that I will steal some features and functionality from Chess Tiger some day (don't ask me what, because I have no concrete plans), like I have done in the past.
ernest

Post by ernest »

George wrote:The Ipad 64 bit Multi-Core is much faster than the Iphone 5S
Then why is this not at all the case in table
http://www.talkchess.com/forum/viewtopi ... 917#550917 ???
Ralph Stoesser

Post by Ralph Stoesser »

Tord Romstad wrote:SF's UI will continue to evolve and (in my eyes) improve, but you're right that it will never be similar to Chess Tiger's UI, which I personally don't like (although there are many worse UIs out there).
I also don't like the buttons from Chess Tiger very much, but that's a minor issue for me. Sounds are configurable, also a minor issue for me. Pieces and board themes, however, are much more appealing imo. Stockfish looks like it had been designed by a programmer, Chess Tiger looks like it had been designed by a (young female;-)) designer.
What? How frequent updates do you expect? The latest public version is something like three months old, which really isn't that much...
Huh? The latest version has a bug (http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=49480) and you had announced to fix that bug soon, so I would have expected a week or two for the new version. But there came none, therefore my assumption.