Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
Post Reply
Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:15 am

RJN wrote:wow!

CENTRAL NUCLEAR DE ALMARAZ, and due to the information published, which has sometimes been inaccurate, we issue this press release to try to cast light on this episode. This is no judgement of value. We'll just stick to a faithful narration of what happened and the insight of some people involved. Let everyone draw their own conclusions.”

1. The full participant list, including Mr. Borislav Ivanov, was published before the start of the tournament. The organizers did not receive any official statement against his taking part in the event.

2. The first day of the tournament some players, especially Grand Masters, verbally stated their disagreement with Borislav Ivanov's presence. They were advised to file a written complaint, but none of them did.

3. Once the tournament started, in view that other players were becoming more and more suspicious and in order to clear any existing doubts, the organizers proceeded to examine Borislav Ivanov's shoes at the end of round 4 and before he could leave the playing hall. It was widely remarked that a hidden device could be placed inside his footwear.

4. Player Borislav Ivanov willingly consented, so he was escorted to a private area in the hotel and, in front of two members of the organizing team, he was requested to take off his shoes, which he did. His footwear was thoroughly examined and nothing out of the ordinary was detected. He was examined as well, using a mobile app for metal detecting. We don't know exactly how reliable and accurate that app is, but nothing was found that could imply the existence of a hidden device inside his footwear.

5. Once this inspection finished, Borislav Ivanov motioned to take off his pants as well, as he asked the organizers if he should go on stripping. Since all complaints had focused only on his shoes, organizers decided not to go further.

6. During round 5, one of the participants in the tournament, Mr. Andrés

Holgado Maestre, noticed a suspicious bump on Mr. Ivanov's back (the Bulgarian played with his coat and scarf on, though the heating was working in the playing hall). This suspicious bump was noticed by other participants as well, and was reported to the chief arbiter. He deemed it untimely to interrupt the game in that moment. After the game, in a very tense atmosphere, Mr

Andrés Holgado Maestre suddenly took a hold of the bump on Mr Ivanov's back through his clothes, and pulling, asked him (in Spanish) what was hidden on his back. Mr. Ivanov gave some answer in Bulgarian. Then Mr. Holgado accused Mr Ivanov of cheating (in English) and requested help from other participants watching the scene, to find out what Mr. Ivanov was hiding. No-one helped him though, so he let Mr. Ivanov go and the Bulgarian player promptly left the playing hall.

7. Mr Holgado states he could touch an oblong object, similar to an mp3 player, attached to Mr. Ivanov's body.

8. The following day, moments before the start of round 6, it was Mr. Ivanov's opponent Mr. Namig Guliyev who verbally requested to the arbiter and the tournament director a new examination to Mr. Ivanov.

9. Mr. Ivanov was asked if he was willing to undergo a new search, and he agreed, while he remarked it was odd to do it before the round and not after it. In contrast with the previous search, this time Mr. Ivanov was visibly nervous, according to one of the organizers.

10. The search was carried out in the same place as before. Mr. Ivanov stated he wouldn't strip and his opponent Mr. Guliyev, who was there as well, stated there was no need for a full striptease, just to show he had nothing to hide. Then, Mr. Guliyev emptied his own pockets and felt his own body showing there was nothing odd, and he even lifted the tight sweater he was wearing, allowing his shirt to be seen. Mr. Ivanov consented to take off only his coat and his scarf. Then Mr. Guliyev was requested to leave the room and just two members of the organizing team stayed with Mr. Ivanov.

11. Mr. Ivanov took off his coat and scarf and then a more thorough examination (frisking) was suggested. He willingly consented. In order to safeguard Mr. Ivanov's privacy, the tournament director Mr. Juan Antonio Sánchez

Bermejo (a retired policemen with a long experience) stayed alone with Mr. Ivanov and frisked him.

12. He started with the hair, neck and shoulders. When he felt his chest, though, Mr. Ivanov dodged back. However, before Mr. Ivanov avoided contact, Mr. Bermejo could feel something odd near his left armpit, but couldn't say exactly what. Perhaps because of Mr. Ivanov's rushed movement unfastened one of his shirt's buttons, and a kind of strap could be seen crossing his chest from side to side. When asked what was under his shirt, Mr. Ivanov insisted he had nothing. Then Mr. Ivanov refused to go on and he was warned that in that case he could be expelled from the tournament. However, that was unnecessary because Mr. Ivanov stated he would willingly leave, but he requested the entry fee was refunded, as he didn't have enough money to leave.

13. In view that Mr. Ivanov was in dire straits, Mr. Bermejo decided, on a personal basis, to give Mr. Ivanov 50 € from his own pocket, as an act of kindness, not as a compensation of any kind.

14. The tournament organizers believe to have respected at all times current Spanish laws, since all searches were carried out with the prior permission of Mr. Ivanov.

Navalmoral de la Mata, 11 December 2013

Translation into English thanks to Patricia Llaneza.
Thanks, Rob, for posting the entire statement!

I thought it was in the coat and scarf where Ivanov hid his devices?

Please, look very carefully at the below excerpt of the official Navalmoral statement:
Perhaps because of Mr. Ivanov's rushed movement unfastened one of his shirt's buttons, and a kind of strap could be seen crossing his chest from side to side.

Is it possible that only when one of single button is unfastened, that you see a strap running from side to side of the chest? Are you kidding? If a single button is unfastened, then you can see just a very small portion of a strap, but a strap running along the entire chest? That is simply impossible.

Is not it obvious that they are lying? They needed an excuse to expel him, so they got him nervous (an excellent technique), and he decided to leave himself, because the whole treatment was humiliating.

Uri Blass
Posts: 8590
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Uri Blass » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:13 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
As Rob rightly noticed, the story is very bizarre, because the accusations are not true.
For me he is quilty regardless of the results of the search.

If the accusations are not true then how do you explain his strange results in tournaments(can you find for me a single example for a player with this type of strange results)

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... 2013-12-01

You can see that borislav ivanov lost against 2106 player and drew against 2 players with rating below 1900(this is very rare for a player who can score 2.5 out of 3 one month later against strong GM's).

It is not his only strange results

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -06-01&t=0

draw against a weak girl with rating 1839 and later winning against significantly stronger players with rating above 2300.

one bad result can happen but look here

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -03-01&t=0
His results against players with rating 1950-2100

losing against
Ioannidis, Evgenios with fide rating 1969
draw against Minas, Ioannis with fide rating 1985
draw against Todorov, Yavor with fide rating 2069
losing against Petrov, Vladimir Sergeev with fide rating 1983
losing against Veselinov, Dimcho with fide rating 2094

Of course there are also some wins against weaker players but it is impossible that a player who get this result get earlier 4 wins against GM's
with rating above 2550

see
19th International Tournament Zadar Open 2012 - Group A

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -01-01&t=0

You cannot perform above 2550 in 9 games of one tournament in January and
score only 1 out of 5 in another tournament in march(when I ignore some wins against players with rating below 1950) of the same year when you play against players with rating 1950-2100 that means performance below 1900

If I go to 2012 I see again strange results
http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -12-01&t=0

draws against players with rating 1875 and 2005 and winning against players with rating near 2400

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -09-01&t=0

score of 7 out of 8 when the only loss is against the weakest player

in 2011 I find the following strange result

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -07-01&t=0

losing only against players that are weaker than 2000 when 2 of them are weaker than 1826
draw against a player with fide rating 2008 and winning against 3 players with fide rating above 2100

Note that I do not claim that everyone of the results is impossible by itself
(at least part of them can happen without cheating even if they are rare)
but the combination of them is clearly practically impossible without cheating and I do not care if the cheating is by computers or by losing part of the games on purpose.

Henk
Posts: 5825
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Henk » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:15 pm

Uri Blass wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
As Rob rightly noticed, the story is very bizarre, because the accusations are not true.
For me he is quilty regardless of the results of the search.

If the accusations are not true then how do you explain his strange results in tournaments(can you find for me a single example for a player with this type of strange results)

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... 2013-12-01

You can see that borislav ivanov lost against 2106 player and drew against 2 players with rating below 1900(this is very rare for a player who can score 2.5 out of 3 one month later against strong GM's).

It is not his only strange results

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -06-01&t=0

draw against a weak girl with rating 1839 and later winning against significantly stronger players with rating above 2300.

one bad result can happen but look here

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -03-01&t=0
His results against players with rating 1950-2100

losing against
Ioannidis, Evgenios with fide rating 1969
draw against Minas, Ioannis with fide rating 1985
draw against Todorov, Yavor with fide rating 2069
losing against Petrov, Vladimir Sergeev with fide rating 1983
losing against Veselinov, Dimcho with fide rating 2094

Of course there are also some wins against weaker players but it is impossible that a player who get this result get earlier 4 wins against GM's
with rating above 2550

see
19th International Tournament Zadar Open 2012 - Group A

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -01-01&t=0

You cannot perform above 2550 in 9 games of one tournament in January and
score only 1 out of 5 in another tournament in march(when I ignore some wins against players with rating below 1950) of the same year when you play against players with rating 1950-2100 that means performance below 1900

If I go to 2012 I see again strange results
http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -12-01&t=0

draws against players with rating 1875 and 2005 and winning against players with rating near 2400

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -09-01&t=0

score of 7 out of 8 when the only loss is against the weakest player

in 2011 I find the following strange result

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -07-01&t=0

losing only against players that are weaker than 2000 when 2 of them are weaker than 1826
draw against a player with fide rating 2008 and winning against 3 players with fide rating above 2100

Note that I do not claim that everyone of the results is impossible by itself
(at least part of them can happen without cheating even if they are rare)
but the combination of them is clearly practically impossible without cheating and I do not care if the cheating is by computers or by losing part of the games on purpose.
It's easy to play hundreds of ELO worse than normal. Everyone can unless your ELO is 400. Just select the worst moves instead of the best. So it's easy for a grandmaster to play in Ivanov style.

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:39 pm

Uri Blass wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
As Rob rightly noticed, the story is very bizarre, because the accusations are not true.
For me he is quilty regardless of the results of the search.

If the accusations are not true then how do you explain his strange results in tournaments(can you find for me a single example for a player with this type of strange results)

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... 2013-12-01

You can see that borislav ivanov lost against 2106 player and drew against 2 players with rating below 1900(this is very rare for a player who can score 2.5 out of 3 one month later against strong GM's).

It is not his only strange results

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -06-01&t=0

draw against a weak girl with rating 1839 and later winning against significantly stronger players with rating above 2300.

one bad result can happen but look here

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -03-01&t=0
His results against players with rating 1950-2100

losing against
Ioannidis, Evgenios with fide rating 1969
draw against Minas, Ioannis with fide rating 1985
draw against Todorov, Yavor with fide rating 2069
losing against Petrov, Vladimir Sergeev with fide rating 1983
losing against Veselinov, Dimcho with fide rating 2094

Of course there are also some wins against weaker players but it is impossible that a player who get this result get earlier 4 wins against GM's
with rating above 2550

see
19th International Tournament Zadar Open 2012 - Group A

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -01-01&t=0

You cannot perform above 2550 in 9 games of one tournament in January and
score only 1 out of 5 in another tournament in march(when I ignore some wins against players with rating below 1950) of the same year when you play against players with rating 1950-2100 that means performance below 1900

If I go to 2012 I see again strange results
http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -12-01&t=0

draws against players with rating 1875 and 2005 and winning against players with rating near 2400

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -09-01&t=0

score of 7 out of 8 when the only loss is against the weakest player

in 2011 I find the following strange result

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -07-01&t=0

losing only against players that are weaker than 2000 when 2 of them are weaker than 1826
draw against a player with fide rating 2008 and winning against 3 players with fide rating above 2100

Note that I do not claim that everyone of the results is impossible by itself
(at least part of them can happen without cheating even if they are rare)
but the combination of them is clearly practically impossible without cheating and I do not care if the cheating is by computers or by losing part of the games on purpose.
Hi Uri.

Everyone does that, losing against weaker players and winning against stronger ones. If it had not been like that, the rating lists would have been eternal and not subject to change.

Look at your own games: only in the current year, against how many weaker players did you lose, and against how many did you win? I suppose against many in both categories. These things simply happen, but you tend to focus on Ivanov's result too much because he is already a suspect.

Do not you remember many of the top players scoring disastrous results in different tournaments? I do.

Good point with you 2011 games: what engine did he use to score well against 2100 players? Did he need an engine at all? But the trend is already there, because he lost against weaker players, while winning against stronger, but just 2100 players. So the trend is there, when there was nothing at stake. Maybe he just has shaky results. Maybe he is not motivated to win against weaker players, but motivated to win against stronger. Maybe he does not want to win against weaker girls out of chivalry. Nothing strange here, humans are not playing machines, they have their internal motivation. I do not think it is cheating when you decide to draw a game against a weaker opponent on purpose. You certainly have the right to do so, but it would be cheating if the 2 had agreed to draw the game because of some reason.

Overall, I do not see anything strange in his results, for me you just focus too much on them, because he is already a culprit.

Uri Blass
Posts: 8590
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Uri Blass » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Henk wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
As Rob rightly noticed, the story is very bizarre, because the accusations are not true.
For me he is quilty regardless of the results of the search.

If the accusations are not true then how do you explain his strange results in tournaments(can you find for me a single example for a player with this type of strange results)

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... 2013-12-01

You can see that borislav ivanov lost against 2106 player and drew against 2 players with rating below 1900(this is very rare for a player who can score 2.5 out of 3 one month later against strong GM's).

It is not his only strange results

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -06-01&t=0

draw against a weak girl with rating 1839 and later winning against significantly stronger players with rating above 2300.

one bad result can happen but look here

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -03-01&t=0
His results against players with rating 1950-2100

losing against
Ioannidis, Evgenios with fide rating 1969
draw against Minas, Ioannis with fide rating 1985
draw against Todorov, Yavor with fide rating 2069
losing against Petrov, Vladimir Sergeev with fide rating 1983
losing against Veselinov, Dimcho with fide rating 2094

Of course there are also some wins against weaker players but it is impossible that a player who get this result get earlier 4 wins against GM's
with rating above 2550

see
19th International Tournament Zadar Open 2012 - Group A

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -01-01&t=0

You cannot perform above 2550 in 9 games of one tournament in January and
score only 1 out of 5 in another tournament in march(when I ignore some wins against players with rating below 1950) of the same year when you play against players with rating 1950-2100 that means performance below 1900

If I go to 2012 I see again strange results
http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -12-01&t=0

draws against players with rating 1875 and 2005 and winning against players with rating near 2400

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -09-01&t=0

score of 7 out of 8 when the only loss is against the weakest player

in 2011 I find the following strange result

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -07-01&t=0

losing only against players that are weaker than 2000 when 2 of them are weaker than 1826
draw against a player with fide rating 2008 and winning against 3 players with fide rating above 2100

Note that I do not claim that everyone of the results is impossible by itself
(at least part of them can happen without cheating even if they are rare)
but the combination of them is clearly practically impossible without cheating and I do not care if the cheating is by computers or by losing part of the games on purpose.
It's easy to play hundreds of ELO worse than normal. Everyone can unless your ELO is 400. Just select the worst moves instead of the best. So it's easy for a grandmaster to play in Ivanov style.
Of course it is easy to lose on purpose but it is cheating

User avatar
Leto
Posts: 2028
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 1:40 am
Location: Dune

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Leto » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:46 pm

Interesting to note that on the first search after round 4 he would have gladly have taken his pants off because he knew the device wasn't in his lower body. Of course he didn't attempt to take off his shirt but just his pants.

The shoe thing sounded implausible anyways. More likely he is somehow hearing the moves through some sort of audio device. There's technology available now that can send audio directly to people's brain, maybe he's using something like that.

User avatar
Leto
Posts: 2028
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 1:40 am
Location: Dune

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Leto » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:48 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
As Rob rightly noticed, the story is very bizarre, because the accusations are not true.
For me he is quilty regardless of the results of the search.

If the accusations are not true then how do you explain his strange results in tournaments(can you find for me a single example for a player with this type of strange results)

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... 2013-12-01

You can see that borislav ivanov lost against 2106 player and drew against 2 players with rating below 1900(this is very rare for a player who can score 2.5 out of 3 one month later against strong GM's).

It is not his only strange results

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -06-01&t=0

draw against a weak girl with rating 1839 and later winning against significantly stronger players with rating above 2300.

one bad result can happen but look here

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -03-01&t=0
His results against players with rating 1950-2100

losing against
Ioannidis, Evgenios with fide rating 1969
draw against Minas, Ioannis with fide rating 1985
draw against Todorov, Yavor with fide rating 2069
losing against Petrov, Vladimir Sergeev with fide rating 1983
losing against Veselinov, Dimcho with fide rating 2094

Of course there are also some wins against weaker players but it is impossible that a player who get this result get earlier 4 wins against GM's
with rating above 2550

see
19th International Tournament Zadar Open 2012 - Group A

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -01-01&t=0

You cannot perform above 2550 in 9 games of one tournament in January and
score only 1 out of 5 in another tournament in march(when I ignore some wins against players with rating below 1950) of the same year when you play against players with rating 1950-2100 that means performance below 1900

If I go to 2012 I see again strange results
http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -12-01&t=0

draws against players with rating 1875 and 2005 and winning against players with rating near 2400

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -09-01&t=0

score of 7 out of 8 when the only loss is against the weakest player

in 2011 I find the following strange result

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -07-01&t=0

losing only against players that are weaker than 2000 when 2 of them are weaker than 1826
draw against a player with fide rating 2008 and winning against 3 players with fide rating above 2100

Note that I do not claim that everyone of the results is impossible by itself
(at least part of them can happen without cheating even if they are rare)
but the combination of them is clearly practically impossible without cheating and I do not care if the cheating is by computers or by losing part of the games on purpose.
Hi Uri.

Everyone does that, losing against weaker players and winning against stronger ones. If it had not been like that, the rating lists would have been eternal and not subject to change.

Look at your own games: only in the current year, against how many weaker players did you lose, and against how many did you win? I suppose against many in both categories. These things simply happen, but you tend to focus on Ivanov's result too much because he is already a suspect.

Do not you remember many of the top players scoring disastrous results in different tournaments? I do.

Good point with you 2011 games: what engine did he use to score well against 2100 players? Did he need an engine at all? But the trend is already there, because he lost against weaker players, while winning against stronger, but just 2100 players. So the trend is there, when there was nothing at stake. Maybe he just has shaky results. Maybe he is not motivated to win against weaker players, but motivated to win against stronger. Maybe he does not want to win against weaker girls out of chivalry. Nothing strange here, humans are not playing machines, they have their internal motivation. I do not think it is cheating when you decide to draw a game against a weaker opponent on purpose. You certainly have the right to do so, but it would be cheating if the 2 had agreed to draw the game because of some reason.

Overall, I do not see anything strange in his results, for me you just focus too much on them, because he is already a culprit.
He's focusing on them because the results are bizarre. No human gets these results unless they're cheating.

User avatar
Leto
Posts: 2028
Joined: Thu May 04, 2006 1:40 am
Location: Dune

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Leto » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:55 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:Well, mystery solved! He had something strapped on underneath his shirt and I doubt it was heroin or some other illegal drug. The fact that this was discovered and he only resisted further search after that is very telling. Hard to believe they let him off so lightly, he should have been arrested immediately for theft. He was basically stealing money from other participants. Would be interesting to read his side of the story ... maybe he was using a home made pace maker? :P

- very funny Spanish names reported: Bermejo and Holgado, do they really exist
What's funny about those names? They're actual surnames popular in spanish countries. Juan José Arévalo Bermejo was the president of Guatemala. Juan Holgado was a Spanish archer and Olympic champion.

source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Jos%C ... lo_Bermejo
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Juan_Holgado

Uri Blass
Posts: 8590
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Uri Blass » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:04 pm

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
As Rob rightly noticed, the story is very bizarre, because the accusations are not true.
For me he is quilty regardless of the results of the search.

If the accusations are not true then how do you explain his strange results in tournaments(can you find for me a single example for a player with this type of strange results)

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... 2013-12-01

You can see that borislav ivanov lost against 2106 player and drew against 2 players with rating below 1900(this is very rare for a player who can score 2.5 out of 3 one month later against strong GM's).

It is not his only strange results

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -06-01&t=0

draw against a weak girl with rating 1839 and later winning against significantly stronger players with rating above 2300.

one bad result can happen but look here

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -03-01&t=0
His results against players with rating 1950-2100

losing against
Ioannidis, Evgenios with fide rating 1969
draw against Minas, Ioannis with fide rating 1985
draw against Todorov, Yavor with fide rating 2069
losing against Petrov, Vladimir Sergeev with fide rating 1983
losing against Veselinov, Dimcho with fide rating 2094

Of course there are also some wins against weaker players but it is impossible that a player who get this result get earlier 4 wins against GM's
with rating above 2550

see
19th International Tournament Zadar Open 2012 - Group A

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -01-01&t=0

You cannot perform above 2550 in 9 games of one tournament in January and
score only 1 out of 5 in another tournament in march(when I ignore some wins against players with rating below 1950) of the same year when you play against players with rating 1950-2100 that means performance below 1900

If I go to 2012 I see again strange results
http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -12-01&t=0

draws against players with rating 1875 and 2005 and winning against players with rating near 2400

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -09-01&t=0

score of 7 out of 8 when the only loss is against the weakest player

in 2011 I find the following strange result

http://ratings.fide.com/individual_calc ... -07-01&t=0

losing only against players that are weaker than 2000 when 2 of them are weaker than 1826
draw against a player with fide rating 2008 and winning against 3 players with fide rating above 2100

Note that I do not claim that everyone of the results is impossible by itself
(at least part of them can happen without cheating even if they are rare)
but the combination of them is clearly practically impossible without cheating and I do not care if the cheating is by computers or by losing part of the games on purpose.
Hi Uri.

Everyone does that, losing against weaker players and winning against stronger ones. If it had not been like that, the rating lists would have been eternal and not subject to change.

Look at your own games: only in the current year, against how many weaker players did you lose, and against how many did you win? I suppose against many in both categories. These things simply happen, but you tend to focus on Ivanov's result too much because he is already a suspect.

Do not you remember many of the top players scoring disastrous results in different tournaments? I do.

Good point with you 2011 games: what engine did he use to score well against 2100 players? Did he need an engine at all? But the trend is already there, because he lost against weaker players, while winning against stronger, but just 2100 players. So the trend is there, when there was nothing at stake. Maybe he just has shaky results. Maybe he is not motivated to win against weaker players, but motivated to win against stronger. Maybe he does not want to win against weaker girls out of chivalry. Nothing strange here, humans are not playing machines, they have their internal motivation. I do not think it is cheating when you decide to draw a game against a weaker opponent on purpose. You certainly have the right to do so, but it would be cheating if the 2 had agreed to draw the game because of some reason.

Overall, I do not see anything strange in his results, for me you just focus too much on them, because he is already a culprit.
I disagree that everyone does that and I do not talk about some surprises but about something that happen often

losing against a weaker player that I play against him can happen
losing only against the weakest player and beating all the other players almost never happens.
This can happen but maybe in 1 out of 100 tournaments and when even bigger surprises happen in a significant part of the tournament then it is clear for me that the player is cheating

Try to find some strange results in my results and I am going to explain you the difference to ivanov's results
http://ratings.fide.com/hist.phtml?event=2803968

Try to show me strange results of one of the top 100 players in the world and not in a single tournament.

I feel sure that you are not going to be able to find strange results and by strange results I do not mean a single game when you lose against weaker player(it happens) but about a system when you show me many tournament with big surprises when the player fail to win players that are 400 elo weaker or win against 4 players who are more than 300 elo stronger.

Lyudmil Tsvetkov
Posts: 6052
Joined: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Did you miss Borislav Ivanov?

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:16 pm

Leto wrote:Interesting to note that on the first search after round 4 he would have gladly have taken his pants off because he knew the device wasn't in his lower body. Of course he didn't attempt to take off his shirt but just his pants.

The shoe thing sounded implausible anyways. More likely he is somehow hearing the moves through some sort of audio device. There's technology available now that can send audio directly to people's brain, maybe he's using something like that.
And why is he the only one to use it?

Post Reply