stackOVERFLOW

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Daniel Shawul

stackOVERFLOW

Post by Daniel Shawul »

stackOVERFLOW where your programing overflow questions should be directed to.

The goals of stackOVERFLOW
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stack_Overflow

And if any programers are itching to ask integer OVERFLOW questions, a direct link
http://stackoverflow.com/
Rebel

Re: stackOVERFLOW

Post by Rebel »

Merry Christmas Daniel :wink:
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Christ, I told them a week ago that I would do this and yet here I am, I will give it 10 hours though.
It has now become a question of identity ( in lack of better words).
Freedom of speech regards :)
Gerd Isenberg

Post by Gerd Isenberg »

Stackoverflow is a good reference - despite most chess programmers here prefer this familiar talkchess environment even for general programming topics up and then, which is imho fine and might be ignored if no interest. Stackoverflow also covers chess and game programming ...

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/bitboard
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/8906 ... e-ordering

However, a former chess programmer seems to have some issues with moderators up there ;-)
http://stackoverflow.com/users/120163/ira-baxter

Cheers,
Gerd
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

First disclaimer: My thread's intention remains the same so I don't want to have the 'Wylie situation' again :)
Ira Baxter seems to know his stuff well, and kudos to him he knows where to say what:) It looks like you are trying to draw parallels about the situation here and at stackOVERFLOW, which IMO are very different due to the shear volume of off-topicness encountered here (100 pages!). Your links to chess discussion do not seem to go beyond one pages, and technically they are on topic since the forum is about programing. I doubt anything like 100 pages of human-chess would be tolerated there or anywhere else for that matter, not even at debates.org. A debate is actually very interesting if you are into it since you play within rules that force you to concede moot points and not go on forever. Clearly many technically off-topic (strictly speaking) discussions have been tolerated here but none were more than 3 pages to warrant complains ( including myself ). Denying the fact that computer programing is off-topic to chess programing, and further trying to put strcpy() into the charter is blatant denial of the glaring truth. If pure programming is on -topic to chess programming, human-chess is also on-topic to computer chess programing (which is currently prohibited). IMO there shouldn't even be a poll, occupation of the members of the forum do not have a say in this matter.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Daniel Shawul wrote:Christ, I told them a week ago that I would do this and yet here I am, I will give it 10 hours though.
It has now become a question of identity ( in lack of better words).
Freedom of speech regards :)
Your identity is fine, with our without your quarrel with the mods. BTW, a mod seldomly (if ever) can please both sides. Peace on Earth, including this forum :wink:
wgarvin

Post by wgarvin »

Welcome back, Daniel.

Did you read the P&T subforum during your ban? Have you noticed yet that the discussions you were so offended by have already ended?
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

wgarvin wrote:Welcome back, Daniel.

Did you read the P&T subforum during your ban? Have you noticed yet that the discussions you were so offended by have already ended?
There you are on the first mention of your name ... :) Unlike you, I can rely on other members to back me up when I said I don't want to discuss the strcpy() issue on my stackOVERFLOW thread.
Ralph Stoesser

Post by Ralph Stoesser »

I could understand if someone would complain about too many off-topic threads that spoil a whole subforum, but I really don't get the point in complaining about too many pages in one half-way off-topic thread. Doesn't seem something reasonable to complain about, because everyone is free to participate in the threads that he thinks are interesting. Freedom of speech.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

Ralph Stoesser wrote:I could understand if someone would complain about too many off-topic threads that spoil a whole subforum, but I really don't get the point in complaining about too many pages in one half-way off-topic thread. Doesn't seem something reasonable to complain about, because everyone is free to participate in the threads that he thinks are interesting.
There is no half-way off-topic...give it time and you will conclude STRCPY is completely off-topic. Sure it is tolerable if it was a 3-page discussion, but it went on 30 pages, got revisited in another 30 pager, and then popped up again in an originally on-topic thread. I am all too familiar with people denying seemingly un-debatable points here, just for the sake of argument. e.g. The Henk situation started like that. That is the way it works here! People make a knee-jerk reaction just looking at the opponent, deny an obviously clear point, then continually dig holes to defend it. That 'computer programing' is off-topic to 'computer chess programing' should be obvious to anyone. e.g. Other game programing forums don't allow such nonsense.
Freedom of speech
Good that you get this. All i asked was to be given same chance the 100 pages offtopic STRCPY discussants.
You can't suppress the truth regards.