Best chess program for iPad

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

h1a8

Re:Best chess engine for iPad, how much memory should I get?

Post by h1a8 »

Question:

On small chess for ipad
how do I invoke analysis mode?
I want to see the score and nps.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

h1a8 wrote:Question:

On small chess for ipad
To enter analysis mode select game->new game->play both.

To see the score and depth select settings->coaching->style <detailed>.
Be sure Coaching is ON also.

To see the nps select settings->style <speed>.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

Ferdy wrote:

On small chess for ipad

thanks but sorry I meant smallfish (not small chess). I don't see settings at all. I see options but I see no style or coaching options. This is for ipad iOS 7

I want to turn off book as well.
royb

Post by royb »

h1a8 wrote:
Ferdy wrote:

On small chess for ipad

thanks but sorry I meant smallfish (not small chess). I don't see settings at all. I see options but I see no style or coaching options. This is for ipad iOS 7

To enable analysis mode for Smallfish:

Options -> Game Mode -> User Plays Both should be checked. That will enable analysis mode. You may also want to set the option for Analysis Time to infinite to allow for deeper analysis.

I do not see an option to disable the opening book (only book variety, which is obviously not the same thing).
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

royb wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
Ferdy wrote:

On small chess for ipad

Options -> Game Mode -> User Plays Both should be checked. That will enable analysis mode. You may also want to set the option for Analysis Time to infinite to allow for deeper analysis.

I do not see an option to disable the opening book (only book variety, which is obviously not the same thing).
thanks. I tried this but still no luck at seeing nps or score or depth. I'm trying to analyze the beginning position. I think the book being on prevents the engine from analyzing. When I make a few irregular moves to get out of the book then the engine analyzes. So I wish it was an option to turn the book off or analyze independent of the book.
royb

Post by royb »

h1a8 wrote:
royb wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
Ferdy wrote:

On small chess for ipad

thanks. I tried this but still no luck at seeing nps or score or depth. I'm trying to analyze the beginning position. I think the book being on prevents the engine from analyzing. When I make a few irregular moves to get out of the book then the engine analyzes. So I wish it was an option to turn the book off or analyze independent of the book.
Yes, I agree. You can try the Stockfish app and it does support analysis of even the opening position... It's Stockfish 4 and not Stockfish DD, but it's still incredibly strong.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

royb wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
royb wrote:
h1a8 wrote:
Ferdy wrote:

On small chess for ipad

Yes, I agree. You can try the Stockfish app and it does support analysis of even the opening position... It's Stockfish 4 and not Stockfish DD, but it's still incredibly strong.
yes I have stockfish app too but I was interested in stockfish DD or something stronger. I'll just wait for the update. Plus the stockfish app has the 64bit engine for my ipad air. I think smallfish only has the 32bit engine installed.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

Yes, I can add that option back. The book option was taken away because I personally never analyzed a book position. There's a new update coming next week addressing this and few other issues.

I can't upgrade the app to 64 bits because the library for drawing a graph is 32 bits only. You'll need to seek an alternative.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

kinderchocolate wrote:Yes, I can add that option back. The book option was taken away because I personally never analyzed a book position. There's a new update coming next week addressing this and few other issues.

I can't upgrade the app to 64 bits because the library for drawing a graph is 32 bits only. You'll need to seek an alternative.
That's fine thank you.
I look forward to the update. I love the app by the way. It is very nice indeed.