Is Windows XP Pro x64 dead for some Chess Engines ?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sedat Canbaz

Re: Is Windows XP Pro x64 dead for some Chess Engines ?

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

The latest Jose's compile:

velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Terrible, I have assumed that your computer is with instructions, popcnt, is well?.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

velmarin wrote:Terrible, I have assumed that your computer is with instructions, popcnt, is well?.
Indeed terrible, it makes me crazy when I see X engine does not run properly :)

BTW, my processor is QX9650 3.0GHz for the current scratch testing

Maybe later....I will test the scratch engines on my latest hardwares (i7 980X,i7 970)

But firstly I need those compiles, which will work for my QX9650
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Joker 1.2? Is that 'my' Joker? I never created a version 1.2; it never got beyond 1.1.14 (g).

Furthermore, all Joker binaries I ever made were compiled on a 32-bit Celeron-M machine. And I actually do run Win XP there. At the time when I compiled Joker, things like SSE weren't even invented.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

hgm wrote:Joker 1.2? Is that 'my' Joker? I never created a version 1.2; it never got beyond 1.1.14 (g).

Furthermore, all Joker binaries I ever made were compiled on a 32-bit Celeron-M machine. And I actually do run Win XP there. At the time when I compiled Joker, things like SSE weren't even invented.
Maybe Joker12 ? but however i think the bellow one did not work...

But now its ok... I solved the Joker 1.1.14 (g), it already uses 128 hashtables and currently plays...

Right now I am not on QX9650, but as far as I remember I downloaded the bellow version (joker12.exe), where it crashed, maybe if you wish I can snapshot jocker.exe :

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Oh, that one. It is 1.0.12. It could be that this executable can only run under Cygwin, and that it takes an error-exit when Cygwin1.dll is not in its folder.

But it is NOT a WB engine, so I don't think it would be useful in any way to you, even when it would not crash.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

hgm wrote:Oh, that one. It is 1.0.12. It could be that this executable can only run under Cygwin, and that it takes an error-exit when Cygwin1.dll is not in its folder.

But it is NOT a WB engine, so I don't think it would be useful in any way to you, even when it would not crash.
Right !! I have downloaded 2 versions of Cygwin1.dll, but no any dll solved...

But its ok... now I am very happy that Joker already plays...

Thank you very much for your efforts for the ComputerChess!
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:Hello,

Unfortunately, the bellow ones did not work on my system (QX9650, Win XP Pro x64 (SP2), Arena 3.0 GUI )

Awesome 1.73
Cheng 4.0.36a x64
Crafty 23.8 x64
Deep Smash (the latest one)
Jazz 799
Joker 1.2
Maverick 0.5
Milady 3.04
Neurone_XX
Pseudo 0.7c
*I need to check it more carefully again, not sure why this time, as far as i remember before Pseudo worked on my systems

Best,
Sedat
As compiler tools progress, Windows XP support is being dropped all together, or is drastically limited.

I am trying as we speak to compile Crafty 23.8 for Windows XP x64, and I got to say, I am getting more and more frustrated.

Everything I build doesn't work with the latest VS 2013 or Intel Studio 2013 SP1. I would have to remove my entire environment and install an older version that supports the /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE,5.02 linker fix to do it, and I am not willing to.

So for Crafty, once April 8, 2014 rolls around I will likely drop support for Windows XP completely for the builds I provide. It's only a 12 year old operating system..

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:Hello,

Unfortunately, the bellow ones did not work on my system (QX9650, Win XP Pro x64 (SP2), Arena 3.0 GUI )

Awesome 1.73
Cheng 4.0.36a x64
Crafty 23.8 x64
Deep Smash (the latest one)
Jazz 799
Joker 1.2
Maverick 0.5
Milady 3.04
Neurone_XX
Pseudo 0.7c
*I need to check it more carefully again, not sure why this time, as far as i remember before Pseudo worked on my systems

Best,
Sedat
As compiler tools progress, Windows XP support is being dropped all together, or is drastically limited.

I am trying as we speak to compile Crafty 23.8 for Windows XP x64, and I got to say, I am getting more and more frustrated.

Everything I build doesn't work with the latest VS 2013 or Intel Studio 2013 SP1. I would have to remove my entire environment and install an older version that supports the /SUBSYSTEM:CONSOLE,5.02 linker fix to do it, and I am not willing to.

So for Crafty, once April 8, 2014 rolls around I will likely drop support for Windows XP completely for the builds I provide. It's only a 12 year old operating system..

Peter
Yes...probably in a few months I will switch to Windows 8.1 64-bit

Best,
Sedat
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Hi Sedat,

This should work on Core2 processors running a 64 bit OS:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5zpebvk0kiap5gk/Maverick.exe

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine