New Stockfish version to be released next month

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Alex54

New Stockfish version to be released next month

Post by Alex54 »

Today´s last Stockfish version is DD, but this situation will change very soon as the new one is going to be released during June.
Andre

Re: New Stockfish version to be released next month

Post by Andre »

The latest build is already around 52 elo points stronger than DD
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

New Stockfish versions are released every day on the development site.

Whether or not a particular version carries the label of an "official" release is irrelevant to me.
HappyPhantom

Post by HappyPhantom »

Can we be sure that the latest version from the development site is always the strongest so far?
If that was true, what is the point to release an "official version"?
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Alex54 wrote:Today´s last Stockfish version is DD, but this situation will change very soon as the new one is going to be released during June.
Very good. Looking forward to testing it.
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

HappyPhantom wrote:Can we be sure that the latest version from the development site is always the strongest so far?
If that was true, what is the point to release an "official version"?
The "official" version is a development version at a point in time.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

Alex54 wrote:Today´s last Stockfish version is DD, but this situation will change very soon as the new one is going to be released during June.
Why do you think that only in June

I think that superfinal starts before June so a new official version is going to be released before June.
mephisto

Post by mephisto »

Hi Amador

Which Stockfish engine will be used in the next version of the iPad app.

Bryan
What's my next move? - to the fridge for another beer !!
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Modern Times wrote:New Stockfish versions are released every day on the development site.

Whether or not a particular version carries the label of an "official" release is irrelevant to me.
Yes, except just because they record a change doesn't mean that the stockfish team believes its an increase in elo. I started testing one of the "in between" versions as well, but I realized that I've had better results with DD than I did with the new development version, so I think when they finally release the new version, they would have believed it was an increase in strength.

As an example the stockfish team put in a command for "dynamic contempt" that is, contempt increases as stockfish has the advantage. I personally thought that was promising too. But then they took it right back and said after testing it didn't create a stronger engine. So you can see how its a work in progress and it is unwise to test every little development version. When they think the elo has increased substantially they will release a new version, and only then will I test it.

Tim.
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

TShackel wrote:
Modern Times wrote:New Stockfish versions are released every day on the development site.

Yes, except just because they record a change doesn't mean that the stockfish team believes its an increase in elo. I started testing one of the "in between" versions as well, but I realized that I've had better results with DD than I did with the new development version, so I think when they finally release the new version, they would have believed it was an increase in strength.

As an example the stockfish team put in a command for "dynamic contempt" that is, contempt increases as stockfish has the advantage. I personally thought that was promising too. But then they took it right back and said after testing it didn't create a stronger engine. So you can see how its a work in progress and it is unwise to test every little development version. When they think the elo has increased substantially they will release a new version, and only then will I test it.

Tim.
dynamic contempt may give a little improvement or not but it is certainly not a regression in strength.

The cases of accepting and reverting changes is simply because of behaviour of marco when sometimes we accept changes without enough evidence only to revert them later

I think that it could be better to avoid it and do the relevant tests before accepting changes but it does not change things significantly.

The last developement version is practically always the strongest version or almost the strongest version and it is certainly significantly stronger than stockfish DD

I think that in more than 99% of the cases the latest version is
at most 5 elo weaker than the best previous version but even in that case it is clearly stronger than stockfish DD(the improvement from stockfish DD is more than 50 elo as you can also see in the FRC list).