ICC + timestamp

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

ICC + timestamp

Post by bob »

Anyone aware of an OS/X timestamp for ICC? My office machine is now a 4-core iMac and in trying to get things set up for ICC, I ran into this issue. I run Crafty on one node of our 12-core cluster, but I can't run xboard and such as we have none of that installed on the actual compute nodes. I generally just run xboard on my office box and have it ssh to the cluster to run Crafty. But I can not find a working time stamp. They have a very old apple os timestamp on their download page, but it is for the way older power pc chip based Macs...

Anything available?
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Re: ICC + timestamp

Post by kinderchocolate »

Bob,

Timestamp is a closed source software developed by ICC. Only ICC knows how they encrypt their data. It's a top security from ICC, nobody other than ICC can provide you an alternative. Their security has been reverse engineered 10 years ago, but not now.
Sargon

Post by Sargon »

There's a timestamp available for OSX available under http://www6.chessclub.com/resources/icc/timestamp/.

But given its age (it's from 13-Sep-2003) I don't know whether it's working for current OSX versions.

Sargon
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Sargon wrote:There's a timestamp available for OSX available under http://www6.chessclub.com/resources/icc/timestamp/.

But given its age (it's from 13-Sep-2003) I don't know whether it's working for current OSX versions.

Sargon
No good:

Code: Select all

ProcyonLeo: ~/Downloads] file timestamp.macosx_6.6 
timestamp.macosx_6.6: Mach-O ppc executable
bob

Post by bob »

Sargon wrote:There's a timestamp available for OSX available under http://www6.chessclub.com/resources/icc/timestamp/.

Sargon
That's the power PC chip version. No good for Intel...
bob

Post by bob »

kinderchocolate wrote:Bob,

Timestamp is a closed source software developed by ICC. Only ICC knows how they encrypt their data. It's a top security from ICC, nobody other than ICC can provide you an alternative. Their security has been reverse engineered 10 years ago, but not now.
I understand. I had hoped ICC had an updated Mac version hidden away somewhere.

BTW their security is not so hot. Couple of guys wrote a paper detailing the weaknesses. They broke it easily. Also broke the "supposedly secure" protocol they use to get your credit card info...
mvk

Post by mvk »

bob wrote:BTW their security is not so hot. Couple of guys wrote a paper detailing the weaknesses. They broke it easily. Also broke the "supposedly secure" protocol they use to get your credit card info...
They changed that over 10 years ago, and, in Internet years, have relied on HTTPS since Methusalah was a toddler.
[Account deleted]
bob

Post by bob »

mvk wrote:
bob wrote:BTW their security is not so hot. Couple of guys wrote a paper detailing the weaknesses. They broke it easily. Also broke the "supposedly secure" protocol they use to get your credit card info...
They changed that over 10 years ago, and, in Internet years, have relied on HTTPS since Methusalah was a toddler.
I've not followed what ICC does regarding IP security. I've never had the inclination to give 'em my credit card info so it didn't matter. We've ALWAYS seen hackers breaking timestamp, however, just not very widespread. I suppose the only choice is to take the linux timestamp, disassemble, and modify to work on OS/X. The changes are not significant so long as they avoided the "int" instruction to do I/O, but even that is fixable (I just did this for a library I use in my X86 asm course in fact, to make it work on Mac OSX.).

Was hoping to avoid the effort.

One good bit of news, I just used objdump and it appears to be all C with no asm, at least none referencing the int instruction. It also has procedure names included (not stripped) but there appear to be no variable names..
mvk

Post by mvk »

bob wrote:
mvk wrote:
I've not followed what ICC does regarding IP security. I've never had the inclination to give 'em my credit card info so it didn't matter. We've ALWAYS seen hackers breaking timestamp, however, just not very widespread. I suppose the only choice is to take the linux timestamp, disassemble, and modify to work on OS/X. The changes are not significant so long as they avoided the "int" instruction to do I/O, but even that is fixable (I just did this for a library I use in my X86 asm course in fact, to make it work on Mac OSX.).

One good bit of news, I just used objdump and it appears to be all C with no asm, at least none referencing the int instruction. It also has procedure names included (not stripped) but there appear to be no variable names..
I'm afraid it is the only fast way indeed. (other than just running the front-end on a rpi or somthing). Or don't use Xboard at all, but use icsdroneng on the Linux node. For XBoard with OSX, I use xboard without timestamp ever since Rosetta was withdrawn. For FreeBSD, I'm relying on 32-bit linux emulation as well, and don't expect it will work forever. When that fails I will probably switch those systems to Linux anyway.

Reverse engineering for this purpose seems to be allowed by the DMCA, but personally I wouldn't want to try my luck with an US-based company, even ICC.

But speaking of Linux, weren't you going to switch over anyways?
[Account deleted]
bob

Post by bob »

mvk wrote:
bob wrote:
mvk wrote:

I'm afraid it is the only fast way indeed. (other than just running the front-end on a rpi or somthing). Or don't use Xboard at all, but use icsdroneng on the Linux node. For XBoard with OSX, I use xboard without timestamp ever since Rosetta was withdrawn. For FreeBSD, I'm relying on 32-bit linux emulation as well, and don't expect it will work forever. When that fails I will probably switch those systems to Linux anyway.

Reverse engineering for this purpose seems to be allowed by the DMCA, but personally I wouldn't want to try my luck with an US-based company, even ICC.

But speaking of Linux, weren't you going to switch over anyways?
I just got this iMac for the office. I might well make that switch. Only problem I have had is UAB has become a microsoft environment, and while open office / libre office are good, they are not perfect and cause some problems.

I'm not totally sold on OS/X yet. Works better on my iMac (process scheduler seems to understand hyper threading reasonably well as opposed to on my macbook. But it has enough quirks and apple certainly loves to ship broken software. I've converted my x86 class to nasm. Apple's distributed nasm is broken. macports version works just fine. Ditto for clang vs gcc 4.7. Etc.