Crafty 24.0

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

bob

Crafty 24.0

Post by bob »

Finally got all the changes and cleanup done. A few notes:

(1) Look at the new Makefile first. I now only have two O/S choices. one is -DUNIX which is what I use for my macs and linux boxes. The other choice is to leave the -DUNIX off, which makes it a windows program.

(2) Quite a few of the -D options have changed. The normal Makefile has comments that explain each one. I release the Makefile exactly as I use it, currently on my mac boxes and linux boxes.

(3) there is a Makefile.xp that ought to work, but without any windows boxen around, I am not certain. If you spot anything particularly ugly wrong with this Makefile, please let me know...

I've been running this version for several months. Lots of changes everywhere, particularly in the parallel search code that has been cleaned up and simplified (and speeded up as well).

The source is at the usual place:

www.cis.uab.edu/hyatt/crafty/source
duncan

Re: Crafty 24.0

Post by duncan »

bob wrote:Finally got all the changes and cleanup done. A few notes:

(1) Look at the new Makefile first. I now only have two O/S choices. one is -DUNIX which is what I use for my macs and linux boxes. The other choice is to leave the -DUNIX off, which makes it a windows program.

(2) Quite a few of the -D options have changed. The normal Makefile has comments that explain each one. I release the Makefile exactly as I use it, currently on my mac boxes and linux boxes.

(3) there is a Makefile.xp that ought to work, but without any windows boxen around, I am not certain. If you spot anything particularly ugly wrong with this Makefile, please let me know...

I've been running this version for several months. Lots of changes everywhere, particularly in the parallel search code that has been cleaned up and simplified (and speeded up as well).

where is the executable stored ?
bob

Post by bob »

duncan wrote:

I gave up on doing executables years ago. Too many different operating system versions, too many different hardware platforms (SSE, no-SSE, etc). I provide source and let you roll your own. There will be executables around pretty soon.
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

duncan wrote:

I've placed x64 builds at: http://www.kikrtech.com

The x86 builds will be coming later today. I'm working on bettering the PGO compiles for that platform.

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Peter Skinner wrote:
duncan wrote:

I've placed x64 builds at: http://www.kikrtech.com

The x86 builds will be coming later today. I'm working on bettering the PGO compiles for that platform.

Peter
Has somebody able to download?
Not Found so far.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

In the profile target in the makefile, I think

Code: Select all

@echo "#!/bin/sh" > runprof
is preferable to

@echo "#!/bin/csh" > runprof
(Appears twice in the target.)

I did learn that csh is not installed by default on my linux system, and that the default is dash.
bob

Post by bob »

zullil wrote:

is preferable to

I did learn that csh is not installed by default on my linux system, and that the default is dash.
I will look. At one point there was some distinctly "csh commands" in the runprof stuff...
Peter Skinner
Full name: Peter Skinner

Post by Peter Skinner »

Ferdy wrote: Has somebody able to download?
Not Found so far.
Link on the website works here? Are you sure you don't have a cached version of the page?

Here's a direct link: Crafty 24.0

Peter
I was kicked out of Chapters because I moved all the Bibles to the fiction section.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Peter Skinner wrote:
Ferdy wrote: Has somebody able to download?
Not Found so far.
Link on the website works here? Are you sure you don't have a cached version of the page?

Here's a direct link: Crafty 24.0

Peter
I don't know about this cached version.
Anyway both works now the web link and the direct link. Thanks.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

bob wrote:
zullil wrote:

is preferable to

I will look. At one point there was some distinctly "csh commands" in the runprof stuff...
Yes, that's where they are.

Anyway, I made a PGO build, which seems to work well. Will need to study the split-depth-related commands and try some tweaking ...

louis@LZsT5610:~/Documents/Chess/Crafty/crafty-24.0$ ./crafty mt=16
unable to open book file [./book.bin].
book is disabled
unable to open book file [./books.bin].
(info) command line option "mt=16"
Warning--  xboard 'cores' option disabled
max threads set to 16.

Crafty v24.0 (16 cpus)

White(1): bench
Running benchmark. . .
Total nodes: 315266734