Stockfish Status Report

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

gerold

Re: Stockfish Status Report

Post by gerold »

lucasart wrote:
gerold wrote: I use Arena all other engines use H.S. books and other books . SF is the only one out of 100's of engines i use that does not use books that i choose while runing Arena. So SF will continue to be second. It is no problem for me but is for SF ratings. Others have spoke of this also. Not to take anything away from SF. i like the engine but it is still number 2nd in my book.
Then you don't know how to use Arena. SF doesn't know or care about books. Arena should be setup to read the book and play the moves for SF. You need to setup an Arena mainbook and in SF config click "use arena mainbook with this engine" or sth like that. What you describe is not possible, it would mean sf cannot parse the moves UCI command, hence cannot play at all.
Thanks for the help. I have solved the SF book with Arena problem.
No big deal.
gerold

Post by gerold »

gerold wrote:
lucasart wrote:
gerold wrote: I use Arena all other engines use H.S. books and other books . SF is the only one out of 100's of engines i use that does not use books that i choose while runing Arena. So SF will continue to be second. It is no problem for me but is for SF ratings. Others have spoke of this also. Not to take anything away from SF. i like the engine but it is still number 2nd in my book.
Then you don't know how to use Arena. SF doesn't know or care about books. Arena should be setup to read the book and play the moves for SF. You need to setup an Arena mainbook and in SF config click "use arena mainbook with this engine" or sth like that. What you describe is not possible, it would mean sf cannot parse the moves UCI command, hence cannot play at all.
Thanks for the help. I have solved the SF book with Arena problem.
No big deal.
I should add you solved the book probem with arena by Config. SF use of arena book.
vittyvirus
Full name: Fahad Syed

Post by vittyvirus »

Henk wrote:
mar wrote:
Henk wrote:Domino Day ended in 2009 because of lack of money.
Well, if you have nothing to say, it's usually better to... ;)
Both Stockfish and Domino Day are about breaking a record by many non professional volunteers.
Stockfish maintainers were not professional when they started, but I guess many years of experience made them professional. If you think they were nonprofessionals, don't you know that Tord Romstad is a constant chess programmer for 14 years now! Stockfish is in its 6th year.
Henk

Post by Henk »

vittyvirus wrote:
Henk wrote:
mar wrote:
Henk wrote:Domino Day ended in 2009 because of lack of money.
Well, if you have nothing to say, it's usually better to... ;)
Both Stockfish and Domino Day are about breaking a record by many non professional volunteers.
Stockfish maintainers were not professional when they started, but I guess many years of experience made them professional. If you think they were nonprofessionals, don't you know that Tord Romstad is a constant chess programmer for 14 years now! Stockfish is in its 6th year.
Tord Romstad is not working on Stockfish. Glaurung is a different story.

Talking about professional is the same as talking about original. I had better not used both of these words.