Chess Computer Question

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

TShackel

Chess Computer Question

Post by TShackel »

I had an opportunity to upgrade my current computer, an Acer Aspire Intel Pentium Dual Core at 2.0 ghz, 2.0 ghz with 4 gb ram, to an Asus with an intel core i7 dual core at 1.8 ghz and 2.4 ghz with turbo speed up to 3 ghz, and 8 gb of ram.

I did a side by side comparison of nodes per second, and my old computer the intel pentium 2.00 ghz system seems to have more nodes per second on 2 cores than the new core i7 1.8, 2.4 ghz on 2 cores. Now while the nodes per second was higher in the old computer compared to the new computer, the new one seemed to get to higher depths more quickly. How's that possible with less nodes per second on the new computer?

I'm debating on if I should keep my old one with the higher nodes per second, or if I should go with the new core i7 with fewer nodes per second but getting to depth a ply or two quicker.

Any help you could give me would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Tim.
skoony

Re: Chess Computer Question

Post by skoony »

you have 2 more cores at said nodes per second.with more than one core the node count appears lower as pruning and other algorithms tend to trim it earlier. i think do the nature of multi core systems an accurate node count is not possible as it is averaged across how many cores in use.
regards
mike
by the time i get there,i'll be there.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Go with the i7. More Depth faster equals a better computer for chess.
i7 better anyway, no question.
In my online engine-engine matches against computer opponents, I have several times held even Dual-Xeon users to draws with the i7 in my signature !
i7s ROCK for computer chess.....way better than even the crummy AMDs !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

skoony wrote:you have 2 more cores at said nodes per second.with more than one core the node count appears lower as pruning and other algorithms tend to trim it earlier. i think do the nature of multi core systems an accurate node count is not possible as it is averaged across how many cores in use.
regards
mike
Hi mike. I'm not sure if you understand what i said. Both the old computer and new computer were using two cores to make it a fair test and the old computer strangely has higher nodes per second count than the new core i7. but it appeared the i7 got to deptt quicker. should i go with more nps on the. old computer or should i go with the i7 that's clocked a bit slower at 1.8 ghz?

Thanks.

Tim.