Hiarcs Explorer GUI

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

overtond

Hiarcs Explorer GUI

Post by overtond »

Hi,

Does anyone know if the Komodo/Stockfish engines will work from within the Hiarcs Chess Explorer application running on a Mac OSX platform?
CositasBuenas

Re: Hiarcs Explorer GUI

Post by CositasBuenas »

I found this on the official website: "HIARCS Chess Explorer GUI can use any UCI compatible Mac chess engine."
overtond

Post by overtond »

Yes, thanks, I read that too - was hoping for someone to confirm that they have actually tried either/both these two engines, perhaps other engines too and to report back that they found no problems.
Andre

Post by Andre »

I have the Mac Version of HIARCS CE and the latest Stockfish works fine as UCI engine... I haven't tried Komodo 8 though
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Andre wrote:I have the Mac Version of HIARCS CE and the latest Stockfish works fine as UCI engine... I haven't tried Komodo 8 though
I see in the folder of the free Komodo CCT that an OSX version is also included. Great gift from the Komodo team to provide CCT and 5.1r2 for free! Thanks a lot!

I'm no programmer or own a Mac, but if an OSX version of the engine is developed for that operating system, then I doubt a mature GUI would present any problem. It only has to understand and give commands to the engine that follow the UCI protocol, the operating system does not really come into play apart from basic message passing. As long as the engine itself runs under OSX the GUI can't mess up much. And if there would be any problem, I'm sure both Mark Uniacke and Mark Lefler would want to know about it so they can fix things 8-)
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan