Rhetoric 1.4.1 available

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

cdani

Re: Rhetoric 1.4.1 available

Post by cdani »

Hi! ¡Hola!
Congratulations for the new version!
How do you run a similarity test?
Thanks.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

MagnersCarlsbergsen wrote:Great update. Love the option to change material value. Tested 50% and you're right, it made some real Tal-like sacrifices.

It's refreshing that this engine isn't made purely for strength. I have Stockfish, Komodo and Houdini for that, but they play like cyborgs compared to Rhetoric.

Thanks!
Thanks a lot, Alberto - Rhetoric was already a gem, now you've made it even better :D

+1 to Keelan's comment, as not too many people care about lower rated engines, some of which have more entertaining playing styles than the top engines. Such adventurous styles of play can translate into more useful opening analysis and better sparring capabilities, since it can help aspiring human players improving their own play/preparation against other humans.

Regards,
CL
asanjuan

Post by asanjuan »

cdani wrote:Hi! ¡Hola!
Congratulations for the new version!
How do you run a similarity test?
Thanks.
I dowloaded Don Dailey's simmilarity test. I can't put the link, since i'm using the mobile phone right now. But you can search here the original DD's post.
Cheers
Still learning how to play chess...
knigths move in "L" shape ¿right?
asanjuan

Post by asanjuan »

carldaman wrote:
MagnersCarlsbergsen wrote:Great update. Love the option to change material value. Tested 50% and you're right, it made some real Tal-like sacrifices.

It's refreshing that this engine isn't made purely for strength. I have Stockfish, Komodo and Houdini for that, but they play like cyborgs compared to Rhetoric.

Thanks!
Thanks a lot, Alberto - Rhetoric was already a gem, now you've made it even better :D

+1 to Keelan's comment, as not too many people care about lower rated engines, some of which have more entertaining playing styles than the top engines. Such adventurous styles of play can translate into more useful opening analysis and better sparring capabilities, since it can help aspiring human players improving their own play/preparation against other humans.

Regards,
CL
Hey Carl, I believe that you are Rhetoric's biggest fan.
Thank you very much for your words.

:D
Henryval

the most exciting chessengine i have ever seen playing chess

Post by Henryval »

Hi Alberto,

You gave us the greatest gift since a long time in computerchess. Your engine plays unbelievable chess with attacks i have never seen.

can't still believe it. phantastic work.
thank You!!!
Don't let Your tricky mind kick You out of paradise!
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

asanjuan wrote:
carldaman wrote:

Thanks!

Regards,
CL
Hey Carl, I believe that you are Rhetoric's biggest fan.
Thank you very much for your words.

:D
You're very welcome, Alberto! Judging by the comments in this thread, Rhetoric has gained several big fans :)) :D

Cheers,
CL 8-)
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: What a bummer ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Alberto,

will be test directly after the still running Tornado round robin I started yesterday. Before I test Stockfish in around three days!

What a bummer ...
I can't follow it at all!
So many interesting stuff these days!

A fiver goes nowhere these days.
Need more systems I think!
Will speak with my General!

A good tactic I need for it.
Must thinking ...

Best
Frank
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: I have it ...

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Computer chess logic ...
I have to update my General ...

That is all I think!
Problem solved, or not?

Not important ...
Rhetoric will start in three days with or without a new General!
That is fact!

Best
Frank
asanjuan

Re: I have it ...

Post by asanjuan »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Computer chess logic ...
I have to update my General ...

That is all I think!
Problem solved, or not?

Not important ...
Rhetoric will start in three days with or without a new General!
That is fact!

Best
Frank
Frank... I don't know who is your General...
But it seems to me that you like the new version!
:P
MagnersCarlsbergsen

Post by MagnersCarlsbergsen »

Chess engines lack a certain elegance to their moves, because they're engines, not humans, and don't have the capacity to be as strategic. They may appear strategic, but that's only through brute-force calculation.

Of course it's impossible because it's an engine, but Rhetoric's moves appear to have that human element to them; they have that elegance and fluidity to them.

Of course it opens more avenues for analysis of my own games, but even more so, just watching the games of Rhetoric is fulfilling.

Can't love this engine anymore.