Komodo 8 for Android is a MONSTER!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Albert Silver

Re: Komodo 8 for Android is a MONSTER!

Post by Albert Silver »

AdminX wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:I just installed the Chessbase app for iphone and it seems pretty spartan ... not much happening.
That does seem true for IOS, it's a little better on Android. If nothing else the Android version has more engine support.
I hate to say it, but the Android version is a lot better IMHO. I have no idea why, but it is my experience. It may have to do with the iOS limitations though. For example, in the Android version one can open a PGN file saved on the phone.
"Tactics are the bricks and sticks that make up a game, but positional play is the architectural blueprint."
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Albert Silver wrote:
AdminX wrote:
M ANSARI wrote:I just installed the Chessbase app for iphone and it seems pretty spartan ... not much happening.
That does seem true for IOS, it's a little better on Android. If nothing else the Android version has more engine support.
I hate to say it, but the Android version is a lot better IMHO. I have no idea why, but it is my experience. It may have to do with the iOS limitations though. For example, in the Android version one can open a PGN file saved on the phone.
I agree Albert, the only downside at the moment for me is no copy and paste support yet. I would love to be able to grab a game from Follow Chess or off the web and pass it over the Chessbase Online. At this time I can only pass it to Analyze This and then pass it over to Droidfish, Scid2Go, or Chess PGN Master. At least with Shredder I can import it from the Clipboard.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by tomgdrums »

AdminX wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
AdminX wrote:
I agree Albert, the only downside at the moment for me is no copy and paste support yet. I would love to be able to grab a game from Follow Chess or off the web and pass it over the Chessbase Online. At this time I can only pass it to Analyze This and then pass it over to Droidfish, Scid2Go, or Chess PGN Master. At least with Shredder I can import it from the Clipboard.

Oddly enough I think the Android version of Shredder is better than the IOS version of Shredder. Although the IOS version on iPad can connect to online table bases.

I love the Anrdoid Chessbase app. one of my favorite mobile chess apps after Christophe Theron's CHESS for Ipad.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Robert Flesher wrote:Hello folks. I just wanted to share a game between Shredder 12 (i7 920) vs Komodo 8 Android on a older Samsung Galaxy III. In the past I have tried Andriod and Ios engines vs Shredder 12. They were all crushed! However, it seems this may have changed.

[png]
1. e4 e6 2. d4 d5 3. Nd2 c5 4. exd5 exd5 5. Ngf3 Nf6
6. Bb5+ Bd7 7. Bxd7+ Nbxd7 8. O-O Be7 9. dxc5 Nxc5 10. Nd4
O-O 11. N2f3 Re8 12. Be3 g6 13. c3 Bd6 14. Nb5 Bf8 15. Nbd4
Rc8 16. Qc2 Bd6 17. Nb5 Bb8 18. Rfe1 Qb6 19. a4 a6 20. b4
Rxe3 21. Rxe3 Ne6 22. Na3 Ng4 23. Ree1 Ba7 24. Rf1 Nf4
25. Ra2 Qe6 26. Qd2 Qe4 27. Qe1 Nd3 28. Qxe4 dxe4 29. Nd4
Ngxf2 30. g3 Ng4 31. Kh1 Ndf2+ 32. Kg2 Nd1 33. Re1 Nxc3
34. Rd2 e3 35. Rd3 Ne5 36. Rexe3 Nxd3 37. Rxd3 Nxa4 38. Ne2
Bb8 39. Rd7 b5 40. Rd2 Kg7 41. Kf2 Nb6 42. Kf1 Be5 43. Kf2
Rc6 44. Nd4 Rc3 45. Nac2 Nc4 46. Rd1 Nb2 47. Rb1 Na4
48. Rb3 Rc4 49. Ke3 f5 50. Kd3 Kh6 51. Ne6 Rc6 52. Ncd4 Rd6
53. Rb1 Kh5 54. Re1 Nb2+ 55. Ke3 Nc4+ 56. Kd3 Kg4 57. Re2
Bf6 58. Ra2 Ne5+ 59. Ke3 Nf3 60. Nxf3 Rxe6+ 61. Kf2 Bc3
62. Rc2 Bxb4 63. Kg2 0-1
[ /pgn]
A few years ago i would have been intrigued beyond all imagination, about a monster pocket chess computer.
Now, it's just died down a lot!
Part of the reason might be because i now need glasses to be able to see short distance, reading etc.
This is a big nuisance indeed!
(i can't walk around wearing reading glasses! [nor can i multi-task like i'm used to, even if i had multi/bifocalls. ie i need every bit of my eyes for running around as i do for reading and close up work. i can't say "now i'm going to look into the distance, and now i'm going to read the notice close up, and now i'm going to read the next sentence in my little book" a million times each second]).
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

tomgdrums wrote:
AdminX wrote:
Albert Silver wrote:
AdminX wrote:

Oddly enough I think the Android version of Shredder is better than the IOS version of Shredder. Although the IOS version on iPad can connect to online table bases.

I love the Anrdoid Chessbase app. one of my favorite mobile chess apps after Christophe Theron's CHESS for Ipad.
Overall I think Chess is just Better on Android.

"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Chris Tatham »

Overall I think Chess is just Better on Android.
Agreed, Ted; thanks for sharing your favourites, a few new ones for me to try. In addition, I have Yafi and Senior Chess in my folder of favs
Aosvo

Post by Aosvo »

I use Komodo 8 in the chessbase app. It works fine, but when I want to show one or more alternative moves (Pressing the +button so that Komodo is also analyzing the second best move) there are problems. Komodo becomes very slow, even the nps goes down.
Anyone has the same problem?
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Sven,

Multi-PV requires effectively as many searches as the lines you wish to use, and to get an accurate score, wider windows, so it just takes longer.

Mark
Aosvo

Post by Aosvo »

mjlef wrote:Sven,

Multi-PV requires effectively as many searches as the lines you wish to use, and to get an accurate score, wider windows, so it just takes longer.

Mark
Yes, if you go from one line to two lines, it should take twice as long time to analyze to a certain depth for each line, but the nps count should be stable.

But this is certainly like a bug, because when I go from one to two lines, it takes about five times longer to analyze to a certain depth for each line, and the nps count initially goes down, which should be stable.

If anyone has the chessbase app and tests Komodo 8 with multi-pv, and has the same problem that I have, you would probably know what I meen.

I have tested Komodo 8 with multi-PV in other apps, (droidfish and analyze this), and this problem doesn´t occur there.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Aosvo wrote:
mjlef wrote:Sven,

Mark
Yes, if you go from one line to two lines, it should take twice as long time to analyze to a certain depth for each line, but the nps count should be stable.

But this is certainly like a bug, because when I go from one to two lines, it takes about five times longer to analyze to a certain depth for each line, and the nps count initially goes down, which should be stable.

If anyone has the chessbase app and tests Komodo 8 with multi-pv, and has the same problem that I have, you would probably know what I meen.

I have tested Komodo 8 with multi-PV in other apps, (droidfish and analyze this), and this problem doesn´t occur there.
In my phone, when running chessbase online with komodo 8 on multipv 2, the gui displayed depth 4 very fast, then some seconds later the depth jumps to 8, 9 or 10. Later depths are displayed like 11 then 12 then comes back to 11 again then 13 then 12 again - confusing, this is run in komodo at core 1. Clearly a problem with the CB gui. Never happened in pgn master.