Best engine 2014

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

carldaman

Re: Best engine 2014

Post by carldaman »

Henk wrote:
carldaman wrote:
Dicaste wrote:Artista (<3), Texel, Rhetoric, Rodent. Simple. Beautiful.
I'd add Fizbo to that list -- the best NEW engine of 2014! :D

CL
Why Fizbo ? Is it also simple and beautiful ? And if so what is simple and beautiful ?
Not clear if it's that simple, but it sure is beautiful. 8-)
IanO

Post by IanO »

Best is obviously Micromax because it took the fewest characters of source code to write!

Or maybe Microchess because it has the fewest bytes of machine code?

(How can we answer you if you don't give us a metric? Best search in the world is no good without an evaluation function!)
Henk

Post by Henk »

IanO wrote:Best is obviously Micromax because it took the fewest characters of source code to write!

Or maybe Microchess because it has the fewest bytes of machine code?

(How can we answer you if you don't give us a metric? Best search in the world is no good without an evaluation function!)
If you would buy a painting you don't have a metric too. Maybe this may help: if you were allowed to use only one engine which one would you download and why ? Remember, this time playing strength is no good criterion.
Evert

Post by Evert »

hgm wrote:Sjaak II, of course. Because it plays Chess and Shogi and Xiangqi!
I second this nomination, for exactly this reason. ;)
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Henk wrote:If you would buy a painting you don't have a metric too. Maybe this may help: if you were allowed to use only one engine which one would you download and why ? Remember, this time playing strength is no good criterion.
This is why I nominated Sjaak II. If you are allowed to use only one engine, it would be better to take one that can do many things, and can be configured to do even more.