What's Vasik Rajlich doing today?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

S.Taylor

Re: Ruined ? Not at all !

Post by S.Taylor »

Sylwy wrote:
fern wrote: Surely his life was utterly ruined, at least in those years.
Fern
HI GENERALISSIMO !

Vas has a family, a nice private life, loves a lot the chess and the computer chess. Just the public relations in computer chess were stopped.
Ruined ? Not at all ! Just he knows better the human nature (the hatred, the envy - in general - and those of a very precise tribe :lol: in this situation) !
A nice subject for a great book, GENERALISSIMO ! After Balzac we need new explorations !

SilvianR :wink:
Makes sense!
S.Taylor

Re: What's Vasik Rajlich doing today?

Post by S.Taylor »

Sedat Canbaz wrote: Rybka is 'too much' stronger than Fruit, just 500 Elo

Greetings,
Sedat
Indeed! It might be that it was Vas alone, who can be credited with a 500 elo increase in chess engine increase in general.
Just before Rybka came on the scene, there was a standstill for a long time.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

Terry McCracken wrote:
vittyvirus wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:
Rebel wrote:
vittyvirus wrote: They argue with logic and proofs, and people will choose their paths anyway. You're telling Ed that he doesn't know Computer Science, do YOU know who Ed is?
Terry knows. What he is doing is trying to shut down this thread by posting insults. Nice tactic. Has often worked in the past.
That's a lie, but lying is something that comes easy to you.

You're sabotaging the thread and lying and blaming me. What a manipulator you are Ed. Now you will likely do what you can to have me ban. That's what I call a lowlife tactic.
You should get banned. You should not go around belittling a man who obviously is quite or at least was a substantial figure in computer chess. There are reasons why people have the opinions that they do, and everyone is entitled to their opinions. Ed has a lot of good, solid evidence to back up his case. More than likely he probably does have a lot of truth to what he is saying (he actually backs up his claims...). Your claim to simply suggest that any reasonaby intentlligent person should just listen to Hyatt (I do not care about his expert status) is ridiculous. Reasonably-intelligent individuals here in this community should understand that many authors within the ICGA had motives to find ways to get rid of Vas. The guy was winning all of their tournaments; Rybka was unstoppable. That is motive enough. I believe that Jealousy played a huge part into the ICGA's obvious desire to get rid of Vas; do you really think the copying of code had anything to do with this? Seriously?

Ultimately, do you not see how pointless this entire debate between both Hyatt and Ed is? Nobody cares about the ICGA (and Rybka is also now dead). They are a dying organization with engines extremely inferior to the world's best. The nTCEC has taken over, whether you like it or not, because Martin provides a tournament with many games and many months of competition compared to the joke run by the ICGA. They, to me, and to a lot of the computer-chess community are the ones lying since their rather bold claim that they run the "World Computer Chess Championship" is honestly sadly laughable. Again, it does not really matter. The community chooses where things rightfully go from here - and the ICGA is not found in the books. 

Rybka is its own engine. Its Elo being that of approximately 3160 found on the CCRL website is evidence enough. Vas was no idiot. He knew exactly what he was doing. And he clearly is a more talented programmer than a lot of the authors from the ICGA (his engine's dominance proves this despite the accusations). 

No matter the words discussed here on this forum, Rybka will always go down in history as being one of the strongest computer chess engines relative to its time period of course. 

Vas did exactly the right thing walking away from an obviously pretty sad ICGA organization. 

I am happy to see someone with stature stand up for Vasik.
I couldn't have agreed more...
Agree more on what? There's no truth in this reply.
There's lots of truth in my reply Terry. You insult people which is pretty sad, and pretty pathetic - that is exactly why I wrote what I wrote in my previous post. Seriously, ignorance will get you nowhere. I am not here to argue with a stranger, but grow up man. Do you really believe that Vasik and his Rybka engine are not going to go down in computer chess history as one of the most influential of figures? The community decides largely where things go from here. Unfortunately for you, and others like you, a good, large majority of us enjoyed Rybka throughout the years - and we could care less about the lies and jealousy, quite frankly, of the ICGA. It does not even matter what I think, the truth is out there for you to grasp.

You might want to follow the upcoming nTCEC 2015 (the official tournament) to see the real champion engines because Deep Junior is far from being one.

Rybka, does that name not hurt you? Get used to it; so long as others accept Rybka for being its own diversifying engine, it will seamlessly continue to be one. Funny enough, all of the other jealous authors' engines such as HIARCS STILL have not caught up to Rybka's strength.

http://www.computerchess.org.uk/ccrl/4040/ - At least Graham has respect for ALL engine authors unlike yourself, or the ICGA authors who went on a giant jealous rage - indefinitely driving away a very strong computer chess engine author as Vasik.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Rebel wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:And it will be great,
If Vas again will be in ComputerChess, then our hobby will much more exiting..!

I missed him a lot...
Give me one good reason why he would return to the people who slaughtered him.
Yeah, good point, he'll never be back. Why go through all the aggravation just to get cyber lynched and tar feathered.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Just to spite them would seem as good a reason as any...

If they had slaughtered and tar feathered me, I would immensely enjoy myself by having an engine that beats them all, putting them out of business because everyone buys my engine instead of theirs.

OTOH, when people instantly stole all the novel ideas that made my engine better than others, and have them appear in the Strelkas and Ippolits of this world, I would realize that making substantial money out of a Chess engine is out of the question, and start to persue more profitable ventures. Even if everyone was kissing the ground on which I walked.
Sedat Canbaz

Post by Sedat Canbaz »

reflectionofpower wrote:
Rebel wrote:
Sedat Canbaz wrote:And it will be great,
If Vas again will be in ComputerChess, then our hobby will much more exiting..!

I missed him a lot...
Give me one good reason why he would return to the people who slaughtered him.
Yeah, good point, he'll never be back. Why go through all the aggravation just to get cyber lynched and tar feathered.
What about this message ?
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=29851

By Felix Kling (Gold) [de] Date 2015-02-17 20:58
just a slip in the schedule ;-)
I know that Vas didn't abandon the project.

It seems: The KING is still not dead...!)

Btw, here are the yesterday's global voting POLL's results, not too bad ;)
*Total Voting Results: Yes 117 (74%) <-----> No 42 (26%)

Best,
Sedat
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

hgm wrote:Just to spite them would seem as good a reason as any...

If they had slaughtered and tar feathered me, I would immensely enjoy myself by having an engine that beats them all, putting them out of business because everyone buys my engine instead of theirs.

OTOH, when people instantly stole all the novel ideas that made my engine better than others, and have them appear in the Strelkas and Ippolits of this world, I would realize that making substantial money out of a Chess engine is out of the question, and start to persue more profitable ventures. Even if everyone was kissing the ground on which I walked.
The most reliable answer I've read so far....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Sedat Canbaz wrote:
What about this message ?
http://rybkaforum.net/cgi-bin/rybkaforu ... ?tid=29851

By Felix Kling (Gold) [de] Date 2015-02-17 20:58
just a slip in the schedule ;-)
I know that Vas didn't abandon the project.

It seems: The KING is still not dead...!)

Best,
Sedat
Maybe that was his intention and then something happened bad against him, and he didn't want to blame anyone, and neither did he want to mix in to the business of those who stopped him, he simply left the responsibility on their shoulders, and he still has his smiles as he feels completely innocent.
vittyvirus
Full name: Fahad Syed

Post by vittyvirus »

Just to add,it was the Ippolit stuff that got him out of CP, as far as I know. Although I now think Rybka was a Fruit derivate, I am not afraid to acclaim Vas for 500 elo increase from Fruit to Rybka.
One evidence that Rybka is a Fruit derivative is Strelka. Vas accused it of being modified Rybka, and it turned out to be Fruit rewritte with Bitboards. Hilarious enough.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

vittyvirus wrote:Just to add,it was the Ippolit stuff that got him out of CP, as far as I know. Although I now think Rybka was a Fruit derivate, I am not afraid to acclaim Vas for 500 elo increase from Fruit to Rybka.
One evidence that Rybka is a Fruit derivative is Strelka. Vas accused it of being modified Rybka, and it turned out to be Fruit rewritte with Bitboards. Hilarious enough.
Strelka is a mix of Fruit 2.1 and Rybka 1.0