Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Do you want Komodo 9 released today?

YES!
14%
NO!
63%
RELEASE IT SOMETIME IN MARCH!
24%

Total votes: 51

APassionForCriminalJustic

Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

I am hopeful that the release of Komodo 9 is only just around the corner. Please Mark and Larry, give us a new Komodo.

Is there anybody else out there eagerly dying for the release of Komodo 9?
Dr.Wael Deeb

Re: Unleash Komodo 9 to the Computer-Chess World!

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

I would personally wait for a +50 Elo improvement or even more....

So my answer is no....
Dr.D
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Dr.Wael Deeb wrote:I would personally wait for a +50 Elo improvement or even more....

So my answer is no....
Dr.D
Same here. At least +40 Elo as minimum.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:I am hopeful that the release of Komodo 9 is only just around the corner. Please Mark and Larry, give us a new Komodo.

I very much hope Komodo 9 will not be released until they reach at least 50 elo improvement over Komodo 8.
40 elo could also qualify as lowest bound.

The point is, a human simply can not make a distinction between an engine and another engine playing 20 elo stronger. You simply can not see what is improved, can not feel it. 50 or 40 elo though make sense.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:I am hopeful that the release of Komodo 9 is only just around the corner. Please Mark and Larry, give us a new Komodo.

I very much hope Komodo 9 will not be released until they reach at least 50 elo improvement over Komodo 8.

The point is, a human simply can not make a distinction between an engine and another engine playing 20 elo stronger. You simply can not see what is improved, can not feel it. 50 or 40 elo though make sense.
Then just wait for the next version. There's no harm releasing something for those that want to buy it.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

Werewolf wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:

Then just wait for the next version. There's no harm releasing something for those that want to buy it.
There is big harm, as this would be unethical.

How much are you going to pay for Komodo 9 that is 25 elo stronger than Komodo 8?

I guess half of what you would be ready to pay, if the new version was 50 elo stronger than older version. :)

But that is not the main point. The main point is that you simply will not notice any observable differences in Komodo play, the same way it is difficult to tell apart 2 GMs of roughly equal strength, but easy to do so with GMs that are 50-100-200 elo apart.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Werewolf wrote: There's no harm releasing something for those that want to buy it.
Sure there is. Premature releases that underwhelm consumers (or potential consumers) leave lasting impressions. At least, that's my experience.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

I voted for "Sometime in March" because I think we will reach +40 over Komodo 8 sometime this month. Not a promise, just the way I would bet.
Komodo rules!
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

lkaufman wrote:I voted for "Sometime in March" because I think we will reach +40 over Komodo 8 sometime this month. Not a promise, just the way I would bet.
Come on ! Take your time. Congrulation already for your work anyway.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Engine authors shouldn't feel pressured to release before they're fully satisfied that they're ready to do so.
gbanksnz at gmail.com