Scid vs. PC 4.14

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Marek Soszynski

Re: Scid vs. PC 4.14

Post by Marek Soszynski »

There are 2 separate programs, both being actively developed:
Scid vs. PC http://scidvspc.sourceforge.net/
and
Scid http://scid.sourceforge.net/

I have both of them compiled on my Linux systems, though I prefer the latter - Scid.
Marek Soszynski
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Eelco de Groot wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:They used to support Linux but no more.
I don't think that's true? I don't have Linux but as far as I know SCID is at least as multi platform as Stockfish. On the installation page they first mention Linux and FreeBSD. I do seem to remember most new features or fixes first were available for the Linux users but that probably was just because you have to compile the sources yourself for Linux so you need a C++ compiler but that is built in Linux right? Everything should still work also on OS X.
You can get SCID vs. PC but the compiling aspect is not my cup of tea. I suppose I could figure it out but I am a virgin on this OS and what I seen so far does NOT impress me.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

Compiling is easy.

1. ./configure
2. make
3. sudo make install

that's it!
reflectionofpower

CositasBuenas wrote:Compiling is easy.

1. ./configure
2. make
3. sudo make install

that's it!
I just did that but I thought SCID vs. PC was different from SCID. There are the same version?! I already installed it of a DEB file.

And the SCID totally screws up on managing chess engines. I save Stockfish to 4 threads until when I unload & reload SCID and then it goes back to 1 thread. I install Komodo and it works fine and the I go to use it again and it doesn't work.

Linux has crappy chess support, no doubt about it in my mind.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Marek Soszynski

Post by Marek Soszynski »

reflectionofpower wrote:... I thought SCID vs. PC was different from SCID. There are the same version?!
I save Stockfish to 4 threads until when I unload & reload SCID and then it goes back to 1 thread.
Both Scid vs. PC and the current Scid evolved from the same program, so they'll have similarities, but they are now independent, even rival, programs.

One of the similarities is that you may need to go to Options and select Save Options (or Auto-Save Options on Exit).

It's not the fault of any OS that "a virgin on this OS" encounters the unfamiliar.
Marek Soszynski
reflectionofpower

Marek Soszynski wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:... I thought SCID vs. PC was different from SCID. There are the same version?!
I save Stockfish to 4 threads until when I unload & reload SCID and then it goes back to 1 thread.
Both Scid vs. PC and the current Scid evolved from the same program, so they'll have similarities, but they are now independent, even rival, programs.

One of the similarities is that you may need to go to Options and select Save Options (or Auto-Save Options on Exit).

It's not the fault of any OS that "a virgin on this OS" encounters the unfamiliar.
I am saying as a whole in my experience, I could on and on. I ran Windows 8 for 2 years before my file system got messed up (bad sectors) so I installed Linux Mint 17.1 and I got hosed in 2 mos and I had to reinstall it again just a couple days ago.

I had a WinXP/Ubuntu dual boot and Ubuntu screwed me there some years back too.

I can't even install a UCI in SCID without it locking up on me or screwing up on me.

I am not starting a Linux Windows war and I have always been a Windows user but Linux is limited in it's software.

it is faster & you have less worries about viruses/spyware but that's the only plus I see about it.

limited software, limited chess support, having to compile your own programs, installing programs and then where are they, o, yeah, it's command line based! I started off in MS-DOS but I don't want to go back to that.

I would tell someone in a heartbeat to go to MAC OS instead of the norm Windows.

I had about 200 specialized program running through Windows 8. I go to Linux and I am fortunate to get a browser. Once you start going for programs that YOU particularity need you are done in Linux.

Lonnie
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

Not true. I am using Linux for CC successfully for many years now and I never encountered a serious problem. Stockfish and Komodo run even faster than the Windows version.
CositasBuenas

Post by CositasBuenas »

Sounds like you need an OS like Android where you simply tap the screen to get what you want. Everything else seems to lead to mental overload.
reflectionofpower

CositasBuenas wrote:Not true. I am using Linux for CC successfully for many years now and I never encountered a serious problem. Stockfish and Komodo run even faster than the Windows version.
YOU have had years of experience with Linux, I have not. What GUI are using to make it faster??

Lonnie
reflectionofpower

CositasBuenas wrote:Sounds like you need an OS like Android where you simply tap the screen to get what you want. Everything else seems to lead to mental overload.
And get carpal tunnel & shoulder problems and a small screen. Recent studies have shown that people on their cellphones, you know, the ones hunched over tapping at their screens, that 15% of them do NOT want to communicate with people and in general mobile phones, computers in general have dumb downed everyone's ability to have a meaningful social talk with living people.

Many people in society are becoming hikikomoris,heehee.

Lonnie