Komodo vs Stockfish ...?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Komodo vs Stockfish ...?

Post by supersharp77 »

Which chess engine do you like the best and why? FREE vs Commercial?
As the competition heats up what do you think will happen? Was Robbolito/Ippolit vs Chessbase Houdini and Rybka a while back a good thing? Is "Komodo Development" shadowing "Stockfish Development"? Is that a strategy that will work long term? What price is too much to pay? What other major players will enter this 2 way debate down the line? (other engines seem to be closing fast) Let me know what you think.......Thx AR :) :wink:
gerold

Re: Komodo vs Stockfish ...?

Post by gerold »

SF is free and the best. :)

Best,
Gerold.
supersharp77

Re: Komodo vs Stockfish ....opinions

Post by supersharp77 »

Thanks gerold daniels........amazing.. only one person brave enough to comment in a public forum on the subject of Komodo vs Stockfish
wow.....no words.....fear is a terrible thing!!
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

fear of what, exactly?

Anyway, I like SF because the name is cool. Plus, it's free. Thinking of buying K as well.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

gerold wrote:SF is free and the best. :)

Best,
Gerold.
NO engine is the best. It depends on what you're looking for in a position. Are you looking at it technically, speculatively? Are you going to play against this program as a human,etc?

Do you like tweaking parameters?

Stockfish is obviously very strong but there are other factors to consider.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

reflectionofpower wrote:
gerold wrote:SF is free and the best. :)

Best,
Gerold.
NO engine is the best. It depends on what you're looking for in a position. Are you looking at it technically, speculatively? Are you going to play against this program as a human,etc?

Do you like tweaking parameters?

Stockfish is obviously very strong but there are other factors to consider.
Say I wanted to learn how to box inside to the body. Well I would go to Tyson or Marciano. If I am fighting them would I say, "I am going to the body with these guys even though I am not so good at it." RIP my friend.

The very best GM's are good at all aspects of the game, attack, defense, countering, endgame, tactics,etc.

I am amazed at how I will take the strongest engines and look at a position and then look at it through other engines eyes that greatly differ in style and sometimes their move seems better to me as a human which is what I am looking at anyway.

Look at Tal's games or any other well known speculative player. You look at the games from a technical stand point they do not stand up as well but they won nevertheless. To beat a (C) in a gambit or speculative play is suicide at best but it works on people like gold.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: Any fear any secret....................

Post by Sylwy »

supersharp77 wrote:.. only one person brave enough to comment in a public forum on the subject of Komodo vs Stockfish
Hi AA !

No fear, no secrets. On entry level systems (32-bit; 1 CPU) at TC between 1'-30' per game Stockfish rules !
Tonight - in the apropriate section - I'll post a triple test of a friend of mine:

Komodo 8 vs Stockfish 6
Komodo 9 vs Stockfish 6
Komodo 9.1 vs Stockfish 6

Not to speak here about the latest development versions of Stockfish ! Komodo is good but only in special hardware conditions ! The results are results. The rest = words !

Regards,
SilvianR :wink:
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

supersharp77 wrote:Thanks gerold daniels........amazing.. only one person brave enough to comment in a public forum on the subject of Komodo vs Stockfish
It's not fear, it's just that this is such a new, original topic.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: A Komodo (8-9-9.1) triple test

Post by Sylwy »

supersharp77

Re: A Komodo (8-9-9.1) triple test ...Komodo vs SF

Post by supersharp77 »

Thx Ruxy interesting results at fast time control.......my tests show Komodo is closing fast......dead heat......TOO CLOSE TO CALL..... :wink: