World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werewolf

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Post by Werewolf »

or what the hardware is?
mclane
Full name: Thorsten Czub

Post by mclane »

IWB wrote:Team Ginkgo arrived at the battle a few seconds after that photo was taken

:D

Bye
Ingo
It looks like ginkgo is inspired by Wolfgang delmares checkcheck...

Wolfgangs program was capable to build fortress positions and create strange positions where it was not clear if the pieces move from bottom to the top or from left to right.

He once told me that if his program is not moving its pawns over 4th rank it cannot be mated.

The maximum he tried was getting a draw.
Seems ginkgo is inspired by wolfgangs thesis.
What seems like a fairy tale today may be reality tomorrow.
Here we have a fairy tale of the day after tomorrow....
Jesse Gersenson

Post by Jesse Gersenson »

This page lists hardware but I'm not sure it's accurate. For example it says Komodo's playing on an i7 (it's playing on Larry's 24 core dual-xeon)

https://chessprogramming.wikispaces.com/WCCC+2015
PROGRAM - COUNTRY - PROGRAMERS/OPERATORS
CORES - THREADS - PROCESSOR
Fridolin DE Christian Sommerfeld
4 7 Intel i7

Ginkgo DE Frank Schneider Ingo Bauer
6 6 Intel i5

Hiarcs GB Mark Uniacke Harvey Williamson
28 Intel Xeon E5-2697 2.8

Jonny DE Johannes Zwanzger
2,400 2,376 AMD x86-64 2.8

Komodo US Don Dailey, Larry Kaufman, Mark Lefler Erdogan Günes (operator)
24 24 Intel i7

Maverick US Steve Maughan
1 1 Intel i7 2.8

Protector DE Raimund Heid Timo Haupt
8 15 Intel i7 5690x 4

Shredder DE Stefan Meyer-Kahlen
16 16 Intel i7

The Baron NL Richard Pijl
16 16 Intel E5-2687w 3.1
Henk

Post by Henk »

In the Niels Bohrweg I could not find the snellius building so I asked a local bus driver. He had to look it up. He also asked why. When I told him I came to visit the World Computer Chess Championship he looked at me like I was some kind of fool. Also he had never heard about it.
Bram Visser

Post by Bram Visser »

So did you enjoy attending the World Championship?
Henk

Post by Henk »

Most of them were unfamiliar. There were some Germans I don't know.

Also most players are only busy with their games and have nothing to do with visitors.

Now I know everything about Chinese chess. By the way sjaak II lost a game for it refused to move because it applied a fifty rules move which is not valid for Chinese chess.

I met Jaap van den Herik and I told him that I had read his book (partly) on Computer Chess at about 1985 or so I don't know the exact year anymore. I only remember that he also wrote about quiescence search.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Henk wrote:In the Niels Bohrweg I could not find the snellius building so I asked a local bus driver. He had to look it up. He also asked why. When I told him I came to visit the World Computer Chess Championship he looked at me like I was some kind of fool. Also he had never heard about it.
I've been coming there for15 years and I still occasinally get lost on the campus in Leiden. I know a round-about route to get to the Oort building by bike, and the Snellius is across the road from there, so I'm able to get there ok if Idon'ttry to be smart and cycle there by a more direct route.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Harvey Williamson wrote:Doing battle with Erdo and Mark of team Komodo in Leiden.
Oh boy, looks like their doing more than playing computer chess :shock:
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Evert

Post by Evert »

Henk wrote:Most of them were unfamiliar. There were some Germans I don't know.

Also most players are only busy with their games and have nothing to do with visitors.

Now I know everything about Chinese chess. By the way sjaak II lost a game for it refused to move because it applied a fifty rules move which is not valid for Chinese chess.

I met Jaap van den Herik and I told him that I had read his book (partly) on Computer Chess at about 1985 or so I don't know the exact year anymore. I only remember that he also wrote about quiescence search.
This one? i remember reading that sometime in the nineties. In fact there is a remnant of it in every program I've ever written, to this very day.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Evert wrote:
Henk wrote:Most of them were unfamiliar. There were some Germans I don't know.

This one? i remember reading that sometime in the nineties. In fact there is a remnant of it in every program I've ever written, to this very day.
No I don't think so. It was more a thick promotion report of 300 pages or so. But I don't know anymore. It is 28 years ago. It only remember it was a thick heavy book and I lend it from the library in Enschede.