World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

IanO

Re: World Computer Chess Championship 2015

Post by IanO »

reflectionofpower wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Doing battle with Erdo and Mark of team Komodo in Leiden.
Honestly, I want to hear more about the drinking stories than the matches.
Indeed! One of the photo captions was particularly intriguing: "Presenting the medals, which I made using Lego, old socks, and a washing machine." :?
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

IanO wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:
Harvey Williamson wrote:Doing battle with Erdo and Mark of team Komodo in Leiden.
Honestly, I want to hear more about the drinking stories than the matches.
Indeed! One of the photo captions was particularly intriguing: "Presenting the medals, which I made using Lego, old socks, and a washing machine." :?
OMG, total debauchery! I should get an ADM on this one.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Henk

Post by Henk »

Uri Blass wrote:
hgm wrote:Uniform evaluation would also help, to see who has the best search.

Or perhaps we should require them all to have both the same search and evaluation, to see who writes the fastest code! :idea:
Or perhaps we should require them all to have also the same code to see who has more luck.
Or same code and a very special random number generator. See who pays most for this world champion title. OK it is not FIFA but a title helps to sell your software.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

and you forgot to mention that you need extremely castrating formulas to hold the top on ICC. No player that plays fair and open formula will stay there for long :-P

C.K.
jefk wrote:[quote="I
Sitting at the tourney I had the same impression. Book making is highly overestimated
sofar, books gambling with their moves fail to impress me.
For the rest, with hardware and opening theory being
the most important factors for engines at top level (say
2800+), engine programming is highly overestimated.

at ICC i'm ranked nr one with my book, having used
various engines, Stockfish, now also K9 sometimes
but in the past others, doesn't matter. Only thing i
need to get at nr 1 for standard is faster hardware.
Which specific (top)engine doesn't matter that
much anymore; improving some Elo points per year
or so also are indicating this. Books and hardware rule.
But also only for a certain period of time,
at which point we still will see interesting games,
but with a known result (1/2-1/2)

jef[/quote]
jefk
Full name: Jef Kaan

Post by jefk »

[quote="Hugo"]and you forgot to mention that you need extremely castrating formulas to hold the top on ICC. [/quote]

well it used to help in blitz, and some comps such
as Brookercostello(C) also got reasonably far in standard.

Some solid accounts as my bookbuilder(C) and Orcrist(C)
don't have a !comp in their formula, in other words
they play honestly against both comps and humans.

And i challenge any human GM in trying to beat
my account on ICC, where i only use 4 cores.

jef
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Tie-break system/descriptions needs to be improved. Sum of opponents' score and commulative score seemed suitable only for swiss.

Code: Select all

9.	Tie-breaking: (a) if precisely two participants are tied for first place, two play-off games of one hour per side are to be played. At the longest, such a match may take four hours. Should that match be drawn, then one sudden death  game should be played (White 12 minutes, Black 10 minutes); (b) if more than two participants have an equal number of points, a tie-ranking order is defined as follows. The dominant ranking is by the sum of the opponents’ scores. If there is still a tie, the sum of the respective programs’ cumulative scores after each round (i.e., score after round-1 + score after round-2 + …. + score after last-round) will be used; (c) the two participants ranked most highly by the tie-ranking order in (b) will then play off as in (a). An analogous tie-breaking procedure applies for establishing the second place and, if necessary, the third place.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Because this year it was a round robin they were using sum of defeated opponents (Sonnenborn-Berger) as tie breaker.

Btw, it is largely up to the players. In Chinese Chess we had a 3-way tie for the 3rd place, and we decided to do full 3-player play-offs (6 games) at 15+0 (normal games had been 30+0). In the end it turned out it was not a three-way tie at all, as one of the players apparently was not aware that he had one point more than the others, so that the 3rd place was already decided, and a tie breaker for 4th/5th place doesn't really make sense.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Time profile in a game between Hiarcs and Komodo.
Tricking the F13 evaluation profile window, by using

Code: Select all

&#123; &#91;%eval <time_remaining in minutes>&#93; &#91;%emt <h&#58;mm&#58;ss>&#93; &#125;
as comment in a move, based from the [%clk <>] info from pgn.

Green Bar: Time remaining for white
Red Bar: Time remaining for black

Blue line: time spent in a move by white
Black line: Time spent in a move by black

It seems like Komodo was not spending time wisely, most probably a high number of ponder hits. The game was interesting and seemed very tactical.

Hiarcs long book preparation gains time which it consumed after leaving the book.