Interesting Chess Cheating Article by Pandolfini

Traditional chess games and chess topics in general

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sean Evans

Interesting Chess Cheating Article by Pandolfini

Post by Sean Evans »

Do Chess Players Cheat? The comments written at the bottom of the article by Chess.com members are interesting too :)
Terry McCracken

Re: Interesting Chess Cheating Article by Pandolfini

Post by Terry McCracken »

Sean Evans wrote:Do Chess Players Cheat? The comments written at the bottom of the article by Chess.com members are interesting too :)
I imagine CCC won't let you post this as it's off topic (not computer chess) but actually it is computer chess.

I imagine no one has responded is likely due to cheating in chess and don't want to be associated with chess cheaters, when in fact they're cheating in chess.
Terry McCracken
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Terry McCracken wrote:
Sean Evans wrote:Do Chess Players Cheat? The comments written at the bottom of the article by Chess.com members are interesting too :)
I imagine CCC won't let you post this as it's off topic (not computer chess) but actually it is computer chess.

I imagine no one has responded is likely due to cheating in chess and don't want to be associated with chess cheaters, when in fact they're cheating in chess.
Hi, what we need is a "human chess forum" at TalkChess.com! If you know who to contact, please do. I sent a PM to Sam without any response.
Terry McCracken

Post by Terry McCracken »

I'm afraid I don't. The Idea is sound. Sam hold the keys to the solution.
Terry McCracken
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

Sean Evans wrote:
Terry McCracken wrote:

Hi, what we need is a "human chess forum" at TalkChess.com! If you know who to contact, please do. I sent a PM to Sam without any response.
By "without any response" you mean I didn't immediately create the forum at your suggestion. You and I have exchanged PMs on this topic over the last couple of weeks and it was at my suggestion that you ran the polls in CCC and CTF to see if the rest of the membership has any interest in this idea. The response has been extremely weak, but as I already PM'd you, the possibility hasn't been ruled out and the CTF mod team is conferring about it.

My suggestion is try bumping your poll, see if you can get more support. Half a dozen votes isn't very compelling.

-Sam-
Dan Honeycutt

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Sam Hull wrote:By "without any response" you mean I didn't immediately create the forum at your suggestion. You and I have exchanged PMs on this topic over the last couple of weeks and it was at my suggestion that you ran the polls in CCC and CTF to see if the rest of the membership has any interest in this idea. The response has been extremely weak, but as I already PM'd you, the possibility hasn't been ruled out and the CTF mod team is conferring about it.

My suggestion is try bumping your poll, see if you can get more support. Half a dozen votes isn't very compelling.

-Sam-
Looking at the poll, the interest looks very tepid. CTF threads on the topic also don't generate a lot of interest, George Pichard starts threads regularly but only Derek and a couple others reply with regularity. I think the best impetus for a new forum is when a topic floods the old forum as was the case for tournaments and engine origins. CTF is far from flooded with human chess threads.

All that said I don't have any objection to at least giving the idea a try. Member games such as the current ones between Martin and Jack often do generate some interest. There could also be CCC members who would visit such a forum if they didn't have to navigate the wild waters that are CTF. My suggestion is give it a try for a few months. If it attracts posters, great. If it sits idle for days at a time, kill it.

Best
Dan H.
duncan

Post by duncan »