YAT - Yet another tournament

Discussion of computer chess matches and engine tournaments.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

YAT - Yet another tournament

Post by Rebel »

YAT is a computer-computer tournament that emulates a human-human tournament or a SSDF | ICGA | CSVN | CCT tournament as close as possible in the sense that opening books are allowed, all kind of learning is allowed, opponent preparation is allowed and last but not least that engine authors have the right to know the name and elo rating of the opponent.

Suggested start at December 1, 2015 so you can make preparations.

If you are interested subscribe using the contact form.

List of subscribed programs so far

Arasan
Texel
iCE
Andscacs
ProDeo

All info - http://rebel13.nl/misc/tournaments.html
Rebel

Re: YAT - Yet another tournament

Post by Rebel »

WaDuuttie subscribed.
mvk

Post by mvk »

Hello Ed. If this is played using the FICS/ICC/ICS protocol I can join, because my program has all of those capabilities using that. (opponent learning, book learning, elo based contempt, own hardware and os etc. etc, just like the regular tournaments). Let me know.
[Account deleted]
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mvk wrote:Hello Ed. If this is played using the FICS/ICC/ICS protocol I can join, because my program has all of those capabilities using that. (opponent learning, book learning, elo based contempt, own hardware and os etc. etc, just like the regular tournaments). Let me know.
Hi Marcel,

That's great, you are a pioneer :wink:

There are a couple of reasons for doing this (new type of) tournament.

#1. Computer chess pretty much has grown up and maybe programmers are ready to move it to the next level with a new ELO challenge. Hence this tournament is meant to create initial interest.

#2. A second goal is to measure the difference in ELO in comparison with the existing rating lists. It's for that reason volume is required. And also uniformity in hardware. Hence the tournament will run on an 8 core PC to produce the 900-1000 games in a reasonable time.

#3. Oh, it's fun.
Henk

Post by Henk »

Actually I don't understand how that works. Does that mean that if Skipper joins Skipper is running on your computer. If so I even don't know how to send an executable. Sending an executable using e-mail probably does not work.

If Skipper is running on my computer during the tournament I am not interested for I only have one computer.
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

Can I subscribe Vajolet from here?
elcabesa

Post by elcabesa »

May I suggest you a change to the opponent file? It would be easier for the engine if it also knows his own rating in your tournament!
Peter Berger

Post by Peter Berger »

I suggest including two engines/entities;

1.) Stockfish 0x112015

running with no book.

This is interesting in two ways:

a.) Potentially one of the competitors could try and cook a win against it. This is very difficult but doeable in principle, and it might be fun to look at the game.
b.) It also serves to create an upperbound on what you can achieve using the additional pieces of information while your competitor doesn't do this at all.

2.) Crafty 24.1 with some default book.

The Crafty book learner is surprisingly effecient while being extremely easy to understand IMHO. To me it isn't self-evident if it isn't close to the optimum already.

Peter
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

Henk wrote:Actually I don't understand how that works. Does that mean that if Skipper joins Skipper is running on your computer.
Yes.
If so I even don't know how to send an executable. Sending an executable using e-mail probably does not work.
Zip it :wink:
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

elcabesa wrote:Can I subscribe Vajolet from here?
Ok, added Vajolet. If you can mail me the executable + book before November 25 that would be nice.