Congratulations to Komodo team for winning TCEC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

M ANSARI

Congratulations to Komodo team for winning TCEC

Post by M ANSARI »

Only few games remaining but even if Komodo loses all remaining games it will still win TCEC. Congrats to all that worked on Komodo and a really impressive showing. Komodo has shown superiority in evaluation accuracy, and to a chess player that is one of the most useful tools for analysis ... especially when there is no clear tactical advantage in a position. Komodo is also no tactical slouch and was able to match SF monstrous tactical ability in most cases. I still feel that SF was suffering some bugs and that probably hurt its play, but I still feel that even without bugs Komodo would have won. It just seemed that Komodo was the better chess engine and had the more accurate evaluations. Sure it did suffer some defeats due to amazing tactical ability of SF deep search, but those were very rare instances.
AdminX

Re: Congratulations to Komodo team for winning TCEC

Post by AdminX »

Definitely true, Congrats to team Komodo. I would like to see Komodo bookend this event with a win in the last game. Closing the book on TCEC 8 so to speak. That would be a nice finish. 8-)
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by Sean Evans »

Komodo is triple champion, wins the Top Chess Engine Championship 2015!

Hi, anyone know the difference in strength between the two programs? 50 or 100 ELO ??
Last edited by Sean Evans on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

Indeed. Very impressive display, proving optimal SMP is still no match for good chess knowledge.
JohnS

Post by JohnS »

Congratulations to Larry and Mark for their superb program and win, and congratulations to the Stockfish team for making the final so hard fought and interesting.
Robert Flesher

Post by Robert Flesher »

M ANSARI wrote:Only few games remaining but even if Komodo loses all remaining games it will still win TCEC. Congrats to all that worked on Komodo and a really impressive showing. Komodo has shown superiority in evaluation accuracy, and to a chess player that is one of the most useful tools for analysis ... especially when there is no clear tactical advantage in a position. Komodo is also no tactical slouch and was able to match SF monstrous tactical ability in most cases. I still feel that SF was suffering some bugs and that probably hurt its play, but I still feel that even without bugs Komodo would have won. It just seemed that Komodo was the better chess engine and had the more accurate evaluations. Sure it did suffer some defeats due to amazing tactical ability of SF deep search, but those were very rare instances.
+1

3 more games, and if they are all draws. This is my exact prediction, Komodo winning the match, +6. :wink:
cdani

Post by cdani »

Sure. Congratulations!!
Dan Astrachan

Post by Dan Astrachan »

JohnS wrote:Congratulations to Larry and Mark for their superb program and win, and congratulations to the Stockfish team for making the final so hard fought and interesting.
Really? I thought SF played a horrible superfinal. It got trounced. It was unable to make the difference in the decisive games. K finishes ahead of SF with +7, we're not talking +1 or +2 here.

I'm a Fishtest contributor, but I think the Fishtest approach may have reached its limits sooner than expected. If SF truly wants to be the strongest chess engine in the world, it is going to need more.
Computer used: Intel Core i7 875K @ 2.93GH, 4 cores, 12 Gb of RAM
Joerg Oster

Post by Joerg Oster »

Yes, congratulations to a very well deserved victory!
I hope, SF can do better next time. :D

Also big thanks to Martin and chessdom.com and all others involved in the organization of this great event! Kudos!
Jörg Oster
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

A tremendous win by the Komodo and team, playing chess at the highest level ever played against a formidable and truly worthy opponent in Stockfish and team.

Many thanks to the organizers and volunteers to make this happen, already looking forward to the next season!