AVG virus scanner

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

hgm
Full name: H G Muller

AVG virus scanner

Post by hgm »

I was trying out a server program written by me, running it from a Cygwin terminal under Windows. Unfortunately my AVG virus protection took offence to that, and (without asking for confirmation) did not only remove the server executable, but Cygwin as well. (That is, all open cygwin terminals disappeared, and when I now click the Cygwin shortcut icon on my desktop, it complains about a missing .exe.)

I try to undo that action by restoring from the 'virus fault', but this runs into an 'access denied' error. Does anyone have an idea how I can fix this?
Henk

Re: AVG virus scanner

Post by Henk »

Is this same problem as with Tom's live chess viewer ? If so it had to do with firewall.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

Not sure how to fix it except download cygwin and let it reinstall what was lost.
But then what about your server application? Did it try to move the source code as well?

It's crap like this is why I go to ClamAV when I must have virus protection (my school demands it even if you are on a *nix operating system). If I'm on windows i use one of the windows derivatives like

http://www.clamwin.com/
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, the server source was not even on the machine.

Re-installing Cygwin is what I finally did, as AVG apparently not only deleted mintty.exe (which I could download from somewhere) but also bash.exe. Unfortunately this had the side effect it also upgraded gcc from version 3.3.4 to 5.3.0. And this version does not support the -mno-cygwin flag that I was always using in any compile I make, to make native Windows binaries (e.g. of WinBoard) that can be distributed without Cygwin. So this basically renders the compiler useless to me, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get gcc 3.3.4 back, as it is no longer on the Cygwin server.

I am not sure what to do now. Is it really impossible nowadays to make MinGW compiles with the Cygwin gcc, and must I install a MinGW compiler that works independently from Cygwin to do this?
F. Bluemers

Post by F. Bluemers »

hgm wrote:Well, the server source was not even on the machine.

Re-installing Cygwin is what I finally did, as AVG apparently not only deleted mintty.exe (which I could download from somewhere) but also bash.exe. Unfortunately this had the side effect it also upgraded gcc from version 3.3.4 to 5.3.0. And this version does not support the -mno-cygwin flag that I was always using in any compile I make, to make native Windows binaries (e.g. of WinBoard) that can be distributed without Cygwin. So this basically renders the compiler useless to me, and there doesn't seem to be a way to get gcc 3.3.4 back, as it is no longer on the Cygwin server.

I am not sure what to do now. Is it really impossible nowadays to make MinGW compiles with the Cygwin gcc, and must I install a MinGW compiler that works independently from Cygwin to do this?
If you only need to make window binaries you can use the gcc compiler from equation,no need to install extra stuff,I use it to make the Dirty compilations.
http://www.equation.com/servlet/equation.cmd?fa=fortran
You will probably want the 32b for backwards compatability(?),I tried the -m32 flag with the 64bit version but the exes did not want to run on 32b windows.
Best
Fonzy
Ajedrecista

Re: AVG virus scanner.

Post by Ajedrecista »

Hello H.G.:
hgm wrote:Well, the server source was not even on the machine.

I am not a programmer but the following web allows downloading what it seems gcc 3.3.4:

Index of /cygwin.org/pub/gcc/releases/gcc-3.3.4

Is this what you are looking for? I wish you good luck to solve the issue.

Regards from Spain.

Ajedrecista.
Evert

Post by Evert »

I don't think there should be any drawback to using MinGW itself.
JoshPettus

Post by JoshPettus »

MinGW compilers are listed on cygwin, you don't have to use MSys. Just scroll further down on the list of compilers :) You do have to drop the -no-cygwin flag as that has no meaning with MinGW compilers.
bob

Post by bob »

JoshPettus wrote:Not sure how to fix it except download cygwin and let it reinstall what was lost.
But then what about your server application? Did it try to move the source code as well?

It's crap like this is why I go to ClamAV when I must have virus protection (my school demands it even if you are on a *nix operating system). If I'm on windows i use one of the windows derivatives like

http://www.clamwin.com/
It is crap like this as to why I run Unix and don't worry about all this nonsense. :)
bnemias

Post by bnemias »

Seems like you've already resorted to reinstall.

I think this would have been better handled by AVG support or forums. It is possible to exclude directories from AVG. However, you never know, maybe it was actually right.

Not likely, IMO. I don't even run AV anymore. I just hit VirusTotal in the rare instance I need to install something new, or update software. Been running XP x64 without AV for at least 3 years now. Clearly the security risk is overblown on such a setup. But I do backup regularly, run behind a hardware firewall, run a limited account, and avoid IE. Not planning a return to GNU/Linux anytime soon, as this keeps MS out of my life pretty well.