Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: 64 bit quad core, US$35

Discussion of chess software programming and technical issues.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

sje

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: 64 bit quad core, US$35

Post by sje »

Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: 64 bit quad core 64-bit ARM Cortex A53 @ 1.2 GHz, US$35, 802.11n, BT 4.0, 10/100 Mbps Ethernet, quad USB, etc.

http://hackaday.com/2016/02/28/introduc ... erry-pi-3/
Richard Allbert

Re: Raspberry Pi 3 Model B: 64 bit quad core, US$35

Post by Richard Allbert »

Shall be ordering a few of these!!!!
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

This morning I ordered one, it will be shipped today. With a bit of luck I can play with it tomorrow afternoon.

64 bit is what I need, with my bitboard engine the performance of the RPI-2 is not very good. When it is performing well, I will buy some more and make a small cluster with it.

Here in the Netherlands it is a bit more expensive though, without shipping costs I paid 43 euro for it, probably due to the 21% VAT.
sje

Ordering page at Adafruit

Post by sje »

Ordering page at Adafruit

https://www.adafruit.com/product/3055
US$39.95

You'll need a 5 VDC power supply:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1995
US$7.95

You might want a case, but all the Raspberry Pi cases I've seen at Adafruit are overpriced junk. I'd recommend getting a small sheet of Plexiglas and then drill a few holes for mounting a Raspberry Pi board -- or maybe a bunch of Raspberry Pi boards. Don't bother with a top cover; you'll see better thermal cooling without one.
flok

Re: Ordering page at Adafruit

Post by flok »

Regarding the power supply: I took an old laptop powersupply capable of 60 watt. Then I bought a couple of http://nl.aliexpress.com/item/5V-USB-Ou ... 34243.html those and then connected multiple raspberry pi's (the 2b model) to it using that. Takes away a bit of overhead that you get with multiple 5v power supplies.

Caveat: I've not been educated for fiddling with electronics so you may want to consult an expert first.
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

I still have a few 5V - 3.5A power adapters that came with USB hubs I used in the past, these will be suitable for testing.

When I decide to build a small cluster with RPI-3 devices I will buy a professional power supply.
These cheap Chinese power adapters have a very low efficiency and are running hot even without load attached to them.
I'm always a little bit afraid to have them powered on during the night, before you know they can set your house on fire.
flok

Post by flok »

Joost Buijs wrote:I still have a few 5V. 3.5A power adapters that came with USB hubs I used in the past, these will be suitable for testing.

When I decide to build a small cluster with RPI-3 devices I will buy a professional power supply.
These cheap Chinese power adapters have a very low efficiency and are running hot even without load attached to them.
I'm always a little bit afraid to have them powered on during the night, before you know they can set your house on fire.
Can it be that you're talking about something else? e.g. walwarts. Or really these modules?
Joost Buijs

Post by Joost Buijs »

flok wrote:
Joost Buijs wrote:I still have a few 5V. 3.5A power adapters that came with USB hubs I used in the past, these will be suitable for testing.

Can it be that you're talking about something else? e.g. walwarts. Or really these modules?
I guess they are what you call 'Wall Warts', they sell a lot of these things with fake CE marks on them. I never liked them, that's why I try to avoid them whenever possible.
flok

Post by flok »

Ok. Yeah different suggestion than mine. The modules I spoke about are for converting 19V (typical laptop powersupply) to 5V. Usually a raspberry pi (with hdmi disabled and no gpu nor usb in use) uses around 0.35A which is perfectly in range for these modules (they max at 3A).
geko
Full name: Giuseppe Cannella

Post by geko »

An alternatives is odroid C2 - CPU ARM 64 bit 2Ghz quad core 2Gb ram

http://www.hardkernel.com/main/products ... 5457216438