Fire 5

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Fire 5

Post by rainhaus »

Hi Norman,

giving Fire 5 its debut on the well known TCEC is a very straight and effective way of presentation , imho. Let’s go the whole hog!
Unfortunately Fire lost his second game against Naum by “white's connection stalls” in an absolutely won position. I hope the problem can be solved permanently. The games against Nirvana and Jellyfish suggest that everything is running properly again.

I can’t find anything about a new version in the relevant sites and fora, including chesslogic.com. I guess I’m speaking on behalf of many followers who want to know something more about Fire 5 and your plans for a public release.

I’m about to start again a Gambit Tournament with the top engines like in 2010. You remember, Firebird was the winner!? It would be nice starting the competition in 2016 with Fire 5.

Good luck
Rainer

:twisted:
JJJ

Re: Fire 5

Post by JJJ »

I also want to see a good fire 5. Fire has a lot of potential, and his loss on time in TCEC is really too bad for me.
cdani

Post by cdani »

Yes! Is a very nice engine and work. Hope he says something :-)
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

white's connection stalls ?

I think I've seen this error in my engine once when I tried also cutechess-cli 0.8 (I think), I have never seen this error before, but I'm not sure it is a engine error.

I think maybe it is too hard to give up as lost the point to the engine.
cdani

Post by cdani »

pedrox wrote:white's connection stalls ?

I think I've seen this error in my engine once when I tried also cutechess-cli 0.8 (I think), I have never seen this error before, but I'm not sure it is a engine error.

As I use Cutechess always, I have seen it relatively often, mostly related to a bug of the engine that does not answer some request of Cutechess.
Ralf Müller

Post by Ralf Müller »

It isn't the debut of Fire 5. Fire 5 already played the last TCEC and won't ever released.
velmarin

Post by velmarin »

Fire 4 and supposedly Fire 5 are obfuscated with MPRESS compressor, 25 MB file....
Too much garbage around the instructions, on the new web site Fire refers to an optimization Intel SMP, the case is that force against Fire 3 rose, but instability and accidents also.
pedrox

Post by pedrox »

cdani wrote:
pedrox wrote:white's connection stalls ?

As I use Cutechess always, I have seen it relatively often, mostly related to a bug of the engine that does not answer some request of Cutechess.
You could give a little more information about this? Thanks.

I can not imagine very well what those requirements of cutechess that engine does not respond.

I imagine that Fire was pondering, then he should expect only ponderhit or stop command. With a ponderhit the search continues and with a stop command to wait to go command.

If the engine crash on pondering o starts searching and then crash the message would have been the same? So I understand the problem.

Perhasps Fire may not respond to a isready command?, but it would be strange that this command had been sent in move 35. In my case I am ready to respond to this command even while searching and pondering, but I'm not sure I ever received.
cdani

Post by cdani »

pedrox wrote: You could give a little more information about this? Thanks.
For example if cutechess tells "isready" and the engine does not respond with "readyok" relatively quickly, the cutechess thinks the engine is dead and tells this.
rainhaus
Full name: Rainer Neuhäusler

Post by rainhaus »

Ralf Müller wrote:It isn't the debut of Fire 5. Fire 5 already played the last TCEC and won't ever released.
Good to know, thanks. Maybe the author had not yet reached his self-defined limit for justifying a new release. Fire 5 needs 50 Elo to reach Houdini 4 and the third place in the CCRL-ranking. Using the usual Komodo release management of an 10-20 Elo improvement Norman would already work for Fire 7, for sure ;) O.K., I know, that is something a little bit different. Komodo and Stockfish are so superior and so close that only a few fuc..-, lucky Elo can gain or lose a first place ranking.