New Moderation Procedures

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dan Honeycutt

New Moderation Procedures

Post by Dan Honeycutt »

Hi All,

Fernando and I hereby announce the following moderation procedures implemented for the sake of expediency.

(1) Any complaint received will be opened and read in full. These often contain humorous information.

(2) Complaint will then be tossed into the trash with no further action.

In all seriousness we are running a bit thin so if you could keep complaints down to just those you think are of a dire nature that would be greatly appreciated.

Best
Dan H.
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Re: New Moderation Procedures

Post by Sam Hull »

For those who tend to skip over the announcements and stickies at the top of the board, moderator elections are underway. Nominations are being accepted through Sunday; polls will be open the following week.

Thanks,
-Sam-
Robert Pope

Post by Robert Pope »

I'm confused about how this process works. You are supposed to nominate people, who accept or decline the nomination, and then there is an election. But since you can't nominate yourself, how do others know you are willing? Are individuals supposed to PM people and campaign to be nominated? The sticky talks about posting your moderation philosophy, but that is only for people already nominated, I think.

I'm not sure how much sense it makes for me to nominate people when I don't know whether or not they would be interested, but I also don't want to be pestering a dozen different people to see whether they want to be moderators, in order to be able to nominate them.
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

Robert Pope wrote:I'm confused about how this process works. You are supposed to nominate people, who accept or decline the nomination, and then there is an election. But since you can't nominate yourself, how do others know you are willing? Are individuals supposed to PM people and campaign to be nominated? The sticky talks about posting your moderation philosophy, but that is only for people already nominated, I think.
Ideally someone who respects your temperament and judgment will nominate you without being asked; if not, you only need to find one person willing to nominate you. This ensures that a candidate will get at least two votes. If you are the only person who thinks you would be a good mod there's not much point being on the ballot.
Robert Pope wrote:I'm not sure how much sense it makes for me to nominate people when I don't know whether or not they would be interested, but I also don't want to be pestering a dozen different people to see whether they want to be moderators, in order to be able to nominate them.
Someone who doesn't like communicating with other members isn't going to do very well in the job.

-Sam-