** Moderator Election - Final Results **

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Selections for CCC Moderation Team:

Poll ended at Fri Jul 01, 2016 12:56 am

Greg Simpson
22%
Harvey Williamson
23%
H. G. Muller
26%
Robert Hyatt
29%

Total votes: 228

Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

** Moderator Election - Final Results **

Post by Sam Hull »

Thanks to everyone who participated.

-Sam-
Last edited by Sam Hull on Fri Jul 01, 2016 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: ** Moderator Election - Members Vote Here **

Post by Harvey Williamson »

My moderation statement:
I decided to have a go at being a mod on CCC. I tried once before several years ago. This time I feel partly responsible for the resignation of the previous moderators who were doing a very good job. The one exception being the policy change on where tournaments requiring author consent to participate was required, were posted. In my opinion general discussion of these tournaments should be in the general section. Games etc.. should be in the tournaments section.

I think moderation should be as light as possible. However personal attacks should not be tolerated. Starting multiple threads on the same subject should be avoided.

I was the first person to be nominated and accept the nomination in this election process. Most of the others came after the original deadline and of course before the extended one. I know HG and Bob well and would be happy to work with them. I don't know Greg but would also be happy to work with him.

A bit a about me:

I am 51 years old and became interested in Computer Chess in the early 80's. Buying my 1st Chess computer in 81 after saving up the money from delivering newspapers before going to School.

I work for the BBC. I work at http://www.bbc.co.uk/5live

I also help as I am sure most of you know with the development of Hiarcs. I have done this for around ten years. However I have no financial interest in the project and have never taken payment for my work.

I have attended most of the major Computer Chess tournaments in the last ten years. I am also an ICCF Senior International Master and a former British Correspondence Chess Champion.

As far as general Chess goes I have been a member of team Anand for several years and assisted him in his last four World Championship battles.

I would appreciate you giving me the chance to be a moderator on this forum!
bob

Post by bob »

My statement is pretty simple:

(1) moderators should have a very light touch, not be intrusive. If you don't notice them, they are probably doing what they should.

(2) personal attacks are not allowable, and that is the only place where moderators might be noticed as they do their thing.

(3) I have been moderator a bunch of times over the years here, and I learned to not be too bothered with off-topic stuff unless it begins to get out of hand. I have, in the past, suggested that a post might be better in another forum (i.e. if you have a programming question, the general forum is not the best place for it, it will get more programmer attention in the programmer's forum.)

(4) in the past, we have generally used a 2/3 vote if there is something that is "close" to needing moderation (i.e. it takes 2 votes out of the three moderators before any action is taken. For obvious cases, we usually just "do it" (IE we have had cases of external bots spamming CCC and each of us would remove whatever we saw instantly).

Other than that, I prefer to watch and read. And I do NOT read every post so if you believe there is an issue, you need to report the post rather than assume someone will notice automagically.

I don't see any candidate that I can't/won't work with..
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

From Greg Simpson's moderation philosophy post in another thread:
Greg Simpson wrote: I also accepted before the deadline, but Sam didn't post it immediately.

We all agree on moving posts, as you can see by looking in the relevant thread.

I'm struggling to find any significant reason to choose one of us over the others. My platform is:

-Stickies are evil! Use them sparingly.

-Lock old giant inactive threads. Thirty pages of posts from years ago are useless to me. Encourage people to quote the relevant post into a new thread.

-Rules don't trump common sense.
Dirt

Congratulations!

Post by Dirt »

Well, to Harvey, at least. Maybe I should say condolences to Bob and H.G.

Now, if we can just get this post unstickied...
Deasil is the right way to go.
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Re: Congratulations!

Post by Harvey Williamson »

Dirt wrote:Well, to Harvey, at least. Maybe I should say condolences to Bob and H.G.

Thanks. Congratulations and condolences to all!
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Dirt wrote:Well, to Harvey, at least. Maybe I should say condolences to Bob and H.G.

LOL - when I told Bob I nominated him - his response was : "...with friends like you , who needs enemies..."

Sorry Bob - I also pass my condolences to all winners - and congratulate you for winning by not winning :shock:

In all seriousness, the slate was rock solid and I had no doubt we would be in good hands no matter who won. Congrats to all four nominees.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Good luck guys! And much thanks to the retiring team of Roger Brown, Fabien Letouzey and John Merlino!