Hannibal 1.7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Re: Hannibal 1.7

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Edsel,

normaly I am thinking ...
At summer time I can try to be uptodate in testing engines. Programmers are in Holiday ...

No chance for a break in my list ...
I tested one engine and if I am ready two new versions are available.

A hard time for engine testers.

On the other hand ...
I have it ... the new Hannibal version after a long time a new version. In this case it's absolutely OK ... shit summer ... engines should be test ... much more important.

:-)

Best
Frank
Edsel Apostol
Full name: Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Guenther wrote:Hi Edsel,

There are some old and/or outdated links at the chess engine portal.
I have marked those with '=> (comment)', just in case you want to
update the link section ;)

Guenther
Thanks Guenther. That link was not updated for a long time. :oops:

I'll try to update it over the weekend taking note of your feedback as well as add new links.
Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

IWB wrote:Hello Edsel,

I started a test already. If it gets into the TOP 16 it will throw out the old horse Naum :-)

I remember Hanibal 1.5 having some ponder issues which causes a lot of time losses. The first 20 games of 1.7 are fine ... I am crossing fingers!

Thanks for the version
Ingo
Hi Ingo, we have fixed the issue with ponder games on the Shredder UI. We'll be looking forward to see it in your list. :)
Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

Frank Quisinsky wrote:Hi Edsel,

normaly I am thinking ...
At summer time I can try to be uptodate in testing engines. Programmers are in Holiday ...

No chance for a break in my list ...
I tested one engine and if I am ready two new versions are available.

A hard time for engine testers.

On the other hand ...
I have it ... the new Hannibal version after a long time a new version. In this case it's absolutely OK ... shit summer ... engines should be test ... much more important.

:-)

Best
Frank
Thanks Frank! :) Looking forward to see it in the top 10 of your list. I'll add a link to your page to my Chess Engine Portal when I update it.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Edsel Apostol wrote:Hannibal 1.7 is now available at

https://sites.google.com/site/edapostol/hannibal

It should be much stronger than 1.5.

Please see the readme file for the list of changes.
Very nice - an excellent sparring partner for the latest crafty at time control 15 sec / .25 sec increment

Code: Select all

Rank Name                Rating   Δ     +    -     #     Σ    Σ%     W    L    D   W%    =%  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   1 Crafty-25.1-080416   3110   0.0   76   76    40   21.5  53.8   13   10   17  32.5  42.5  
   2 Hannibal-1.7         3090  21.0   76   76    40   18.5  46.2   10   13   17  25.0  42.5  
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cejjt6qmuzxni ... l.pgn?dl=1
Edsel Apostol

Post by Edsel Apostol »

MikeB wrote:

Very nice - an excellent sparring partner for the latest crafty at time control 15 sec / .25 sec increment

Rank Name                Rating   Δ     +    -     #     Σ    Σ%     W    L    D   W%    =%  
   1 Crafty-25.1-080416   3110   0.0   76   76    40   21.5  53.8   13   10   17  32.5  42.5  
   2 Hannibal-1.7         3090  21.0   76   76    40   18.5  46.2   10   13   17  25.0  42.5  
Latest Crafty seems strong. How much Elo was that compared to the last public release?
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Edsel Apostol wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Engine error Hannibal 1.7w32.....(not valid w32 engine)
Thx for the attempt...AR :) :wink:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Edsel Apostol wrote:
MikeB wrote:

Latest Crafty seems strong. How much Elo was that compared to the last public release?
Just to clarify - this was a Windows 32 bit Hannibal running against a native 64 bit version of crafty - so the results above are not really a good indicator. With that said , I believe current crafty may be 40-50 ELO better - but what I see never really translate to what CCRL will show - one reason is different OS -, two my crafty compiles are uniquely tuned for my machine - a Mac Pro with 12 cores and three, not 100% convinced that the CCRL testers are focused on are making sure all the settings are optimal. Settings can vary from machine to machine - but probably all authors feel the same way - so in the end I think CCRL is fair and my results are probably a little biased towards crafty. So real world - I would hope for a 25 point ELO gain on CCRL.
IWB

Post by IWB »

Edsel Apostol wrote:
IWB wrote:Hello Edsel,

I started a test already. If it gets into the TOP 16 it will throw out the old horse Naum :-)

I remember Hanibal 1.5 having some ponder issues which causes a lot of time losses. The first 20 games of 1.7 are fine ... I am crossing fingers!

Thanks for the version
Ingo
Hi Ingo, we have fixed the issue with ponder games on the Shredder UI. We'll be looking forward to see it in your list. :)
Hello Edsel,

It is not completly gone. In 2014 games I have 7 losses on time. That is nothing to worry about but it is still there.
Do you allways keep some time on the clock left or do you play in the last fraction of the last second?

Besides that, the performance until now is briliant! :-)

Ingo
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

IWB wrote: It is not completly gone. In 2014 games I have 7 losses on time. That is nothing to worry about but it is still there.
Do you allways keep some time on the clock left or do you play in the last fraction of the last second?

Besides that, the performance until now is briliant! :-)

Ingo
According to your site you play with +3s increment, is that right?
Then it shouldn't really lose on time.
Is there any pattern to those 7 time losses, e.g. resolving fail lows
in already bad positions, or very drawish endgames near the 50 moves draw?

Guenther