Stockfish 8 no test on inwoba.de

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

APassionForCriminalJustic

Re: Stockfish 8 no test on inwoba.de

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

styx wrote:It really doesn't matter what you all think. If Ingo decides to publish the results tomorrow, in a week, in a month or never, you all have to deal with it. He owes us nothing.
That's his choice. His rating list will suffer though... I certainly then wouldn't trust it worth beans. Purposely showing Komodo 10.2 at the top of the list is utterly deceiving. Like I had said - if he cares about the integrity of his rating list then he will do it. He can do what he wants; that isn't my point though.

Actually, if he wants to be a reputable rating-list provider then HE DOES owe the community an accurate rating list. The strongest engines are not an exception - but expected.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

Dan Cooper wrote:The demands that people make of other people's time and money is amusing.
Then don't make a public rating list. Make it private if you don't like it. Cry me a freaking river.
Dan Cooper

Post by Dan Cooper »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
Dan Cooper wrote:The demands that people make of other people's time and money is amusing.
Then don't make a public rating list. Make it private if you don't like it. Cry me a freaking river.
You're the one doing the crying here.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Running each engine on 1-core in his tests is neither money or time consuming. You should ask Martin Thoresen TCEC organizer about money and time consuming...
mehmet karaman

Post by mehmet karaman »

Damir wrote:
Running each engine on 1-core in his tests is neither money or time consuming. You should ask Martin Thoresen TCEC organizer about money and time consuming...
Database info:
2016.10.31 Last database update
Games : 458650 (finished)

Please respect Ingo's efforts
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

I sure appreciate his efforts. He never publishes any games that are beeing played, and does not want to test the best engine that is publicly available right now, and hereby gives the public wrong impression of his rating list.
What is not to appreciate ?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

If you look a gift horse in the mouth, it may offend the one offering.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Dann Corbit wrote:If you look a gift horse in the mouth, it may offend the one offering.
A gift to whom?
IWB

Post by IWB »

Thx to everyone for the support.

It is really stunning what some people demand because I do not 'deliver' a result within one but two days. Crazy, something is terribly wrong with these persons!!!

Thanks to all others
Ingo
kranium

Post by kranium »

I think Damir has a valid point...

I believe that Ingo became a private tester for Komodo quite a while ago? In addition, he apparently has a 'German' connection and receives and tests development versions of Gingko, Shredder, etc.

That's all somewhat unfortunate because it certainly does (IMO) contribute to any perception of bias that may exist.

IMO, once a rating list becomes established and well-known, I believe it has a duty...a public responsibility to avoid anything that may be perceived as conflict of interest.

Unfortunately, some sites have consistently defended their methods/procedures, claiming they are a 'private' list...with rights to do whatever they want, not beholden to any standard or guidelines.

There are many exceptions of course: take a look at CCRL and Franks page...they work very hard to remain completely unbiased, even going so far as to refuse engines that have not been publicly released.