Houdini 5 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nay Lin Tun

Re: Licence problem ...

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Current results of IPON so far! (235 out of 3300 played)

http://www.inwoba.de/H5.html

SF8- 3297
K10.2-3264
H5-3247
Far beyond stockfish, Oops.
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

I'm not sure but early testing seems on my set up Fritz 14 GUI
that H5 on 5 min blitz uses to much time comes close to time out
Time management problem?

box checked for GUI time will tell if others find same early testing yet mind
"May your next game be your best"
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

In TCEC or in this test, H5 seems better than Komodo but less good than Stockfish 8.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

JJJ wrote:In TCEC or in this test, H5 seems better than Komodo but less good than Stockfish 8.
I'm skeptical that Houdini is actually stronger than komodo. We will see IPON's eventual results. But it is becoming clear that Houdini is significantly below Stockfish. Not surprising at all as I had Stockfish at 256+ Elo over Houdini 4 PRO at four minute two second increment after about 800 games. And unfortunately the Elo differential will only continue once Stockfish development begins finding more Elo-gaining ideas.

Then we look at Keck's tournament with 32 cores 20 minute games where Stockfish destroyed Komodo 10.2 15-1. We have effectively reached the age of Stockfish's dominance.
Aser Huerga

Post by Aser Huerga »

Can someone confirm H5 works under Windows XP 64 bits?
Thanks.
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

Nay Lin Tun wrote:Current results of IPON so far! (235 out of 3300 played)

SF8- 3297
K10.2-3264
H5-3247
But it is saying now
Houdini-SF 8- +10 -16

So SF8 is crushing it!
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

On slower AMD Hardware in extrem blitz!
Let us wait of longer time controls.

Engines, stronger in endgames made with slower time controls much more points. And SF isn't here the best available engines. Komodo is ... so its really interesting what Houdini can do with longer time controls.

Best
Frank
Dr.Wael Deeb

Post by Dr.Wael Deeb »

S.Taylor wrote:
Nay Lin Tun wrote:Current results of IPON so far! (235 out of 3300 played)

SF8- 3297
K10.2-3264
H5-3247
But it is saying now
Houdini-SF 8- +10 -16

So SF8 is crushing it!
Stockfish is a monster :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
_No one can hit as hard as life.But it ain’t about how hard you can hit.It’s about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward.How much you can take and keep moving forward….
IWB

Re: Houdini 5 has been released

Post by IWB »

Hello Robert

Thanks for the new Houdini. It seems it will be a nice addon to the TOPs again :-)

As some here start to speculate about some of my results, some remarks:

1. The input Elo is cmming from Ordo, the Classic is calculationg with simple Elo formula. That fits well with an average engine but it doesn't with one from the ends of my rating list.
2. It is better to compare average performance of the other engines. SF8 was at 81.5% and K10.2 at 78.3%. Both will lose some percent against H5. The percentage is the better indicator than the shown Elo.
3. PLEASE (!) do not compare my individual results. Overall is ok with 3300 games at the end but loking at a result out of 220 games is just wrong. You can't judge anything out of that, especially if it is close. (not to talk about judging something after a lower number than 220!)
4. The HW is comparable to a 3.2GHz Phenom 2. That is by far not slow, even not to todays standards. HW development isn't that good for single core performance for the last 5 years!
5. This is ponder on! The average game is 16 minutes (over all angines). Seeing that other list adapt their time controls to hardware and no one is really playing 40/40 or 40/20 (therefore POFF) the overall cpu cycles per move (time) are very much comparable (at least to 40/20)
6. Indeed H5 has 3 losses on time in 480 games. That is below 1% ... overall. All 3 cases would be draws. It lost 1.5 points out of 480 possible ... not even worth mentioning it. But I will keep an eye on it!

If there are more questions ... i follow here as well!

Ingo
IWB

Re: Houdini 5 has been released

Post by IWB »

Accidently quoted myself. Please delete.