What about Gull?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

tpoppins

Re: What about Gull?

Post by tpoppins »

basil00 wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:The only one missing is Gull.
Recently LazySMP was added to Gullzygy, see here: https://github.com/basil00/Gull.
This translated to a huge elo gain (+60) on the Linux version, but less so for Windows -- although it has not been properly tested yet.
An exciting news!

However, the official alpha 3 build crashes upon load (immediately after displaying the id/author string) on Sandybridge systems (i.e. h/w POPCNT) running Win7 x64 Pro, so do self-compiled builds regardless of TARGET and ARCH selected. Same for alpha 2.

BTW, compiling the code on Windoze is not made any easier by the makefile making assumptions that a Windoze user will have GNU utils installed on his box.

A shame, Gull definitely deserves more lovin'.
Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

"Thinking a lot", the author of GullChess told me :
It is a finished project
https://sourceforge.net/projects/gullchess/

Best wishes,
Norbert
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Ozymandias wrote:5 of the top 6 engines have been released (or will soon be) in the short span of time of 16 days, something unprecedented:

* Stockfish 8 : November 01, 2016
* Houdini 5: November 09, 2016
* Komodo 10.2: October 29, 2016
* Deep Shredder 13: October 30, 2016
* Fire 5: November 14, 2016

The only one missing is Gull. I know the main developer quitted some time ago, but the project is open source and there are those who are working on it. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be much coordination among them. Were they to join efforts, I'm sure some noticeable improvement would already be out there. As it is, I'm not sure that's the case.
I am assuming Firebird 5 is going to be released later on the day today? I went on their website and only 4 is available. It shows in its history that 11/14/2016 with the new features.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Dan Cooper

Post by Dan Cooper »

tpoppins wrote:
basil00 wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:The only one missing is Gull.
Recently LazySMP was added to Gullzygy, see here: https://github.com/basil00/Gull.
This translated to a huge elo gain (+60) on the Linux version, but less so for Windows -- although it has not been properly tested yet.
An exciting news!

However, the official alpha 3 build crashes upon load (immediately after displaying the id/author string) on Sandybridge systems (i.e. h/w POPCNT) running Win7 x64 Pro, so do self-compiled builds regardless of TARGET and ARCH selected. Same for alpha 2.

BTW, compiling the code on Windoze is not made any easier by the makefile making assumptions that a Windoze user will have GNU utils installed on his box.

A shame, Gull definitely deserves more lovin'.
So that means Sandy Bridge and Haswell have issues with the Lazy Gull and Ivy Bridge and Broadwell appear to be fine. Anyone with a Skylake CPU?
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

reflectionofpower wrote:
Ozymandias wrote:5 of the top 6 engines have been released (or will soon be) in the short span of time of 16 days, something unprecedented:

The only one missing is Gull. I know the main developer quitted some time ago, but the project is open source and there are those who are working on it. The problem is, there doesn't seem to be much coordination among them. Were they to join efforts, I'm sure some noticeable improvement would already be out there. As it is, I'm not sure that's the case.
I am assuming Firebird 5 is going to be released later on the day today? I went on their website and only 4 is available. It shows in its history that 11/14/2016 with the new features.
It's been updated as promised. BTW, the exe isn't outrageously big anymore.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Ozymandias wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:

It's been updated as promised. BTW, the exe isn't outrageously big anymore.
Thanks, I went there and got it.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie