Komodo 10.3

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

TShackel

Komodo 10.3

Post by TShackel »

I admit it is still early and more games need to be played. But congrats to Larry and Mark for regaining the top spot on the CCRL 40/40 list. I'm hoping the elo gain will be even larger than it is currently compared with the previous komodo version as more games are played. Especially since 10.2 got some strange results, I'm glad 10.3 has shown clear improvement on the lists that it is on (still waiting for several lists to put on Komodo 10.3).

Keep up the good work Larry and Mark.

Sincerely,

Tim.
Modern Times

Re: Komodo 10.3

Post by Modern Times »

Top by +2 Elo, you'd better keeo your fingers crossed it doesn't lose that again with more games. What I think we can say is that Stockfish, Komodo and Houdini will be quite close once more games are played.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

Thanks. It is just 2 elo right now, but it is nice seeing the positive scores against both Stockfish 8 and Houdini 5.01. Error margins are huge still, but I hope this continues after many more games. And we are making good progress in our development versions too. Chess has more layers in "peeling its onion" than I thought. We have a lot more to learn.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Nothing on Fire 5.0 ascent?
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
melajara

Post by melajara »

Computer chess, once the drosophila of AI, is teaching all of us an important lesson.

Human level intelligence, although remarkably stable over centuries in studying chess is just a data point, very far from the still elusive top in the global scale of intelligence.

There is now inasmuch difference from Carlsen and the top programs running on commodity hardware than there is from Carlsen and the best players from your local club.

A quite humbling experience that will generalize progressively to all domains where humans were better or still are, e.g. lip reading now is done better and by quite a margin from a program rather than the best trained humans. Interesting times right ahead :roll:
Per ardua ad astra
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

mjlef wrote:Thanks. It is just 2 elo right now, but it is nice seeing the positive scores against both Stockfish 8 and Houdini 5.01. Error margins are huge still, but I hope this continues after many more games. And we are making good progress in our development versions too. Chess has more layers in "peeling its onion" than I thought. We have a lot more to learn.
I m glad to read that.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

Modern Times wrote:Top by +2 Elo, you'd better keeo your fingers crossed it doesn't lose that again with more games. What I think we can say is that Stockfish, Komodo and Houdini will be quite close once more games are played.
Yes indeed. Like I said, more games need to be played. But I was just saying K 10.2 had strange list results so its nice to see something positive with K 10.3.

Tim.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

mjlef wrote:Thanks. It is just 2 elo right now, but it is nice seeing the positive scores against both Stockfish 8 and Houdini 5.01. Error margins are huge still, but I hope this continues after many more games. And we are making good progress in our development versions too. Chess has more layers in "peeling its onion" than I thought. We have a lot more to learn.
Yes a lot more to learn. As great as komodo is, one should never believe you have arrived and there is nothing left to improve. Keep up the good work on development version.

Tim.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

TShackel wrote:
Yes a lot more to learn. As great as komodo is, one should never believe you have arrived and there is nothing left to improve. Keep up the good work on development version.

Tim.
Years from now will be a treat I am sure. In any era that we live in people think they have the latest most sophisticated gadgets and things. I just found this site that shows this:

http://www.vintageadbrowser.com/tools-ads-1940s

or the cover browser for old comic books which I used to collect as a kid,old books, weird album covers,etc are there too. 400,000 items to look at!

http://www.coverbrowser.com/lab/app/

and the corny ads you would see in comic books:

http://tomheroes.com/Comic%20Ads/classi ... n_page.htm
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

mjlef wrote:Thanks. It is just 2 elo right now, but it is nice seeing the positive scores against both Stockfish 8 and Houdini 5.01.
I'm not here to spoil anything but I see a score of 6-10 vs Houdini 5.01 (+0 -4 =12) which is negative.