iPad Pro 2 12.9 512 GB:)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Hai

iPad Pro 2 12.9 512 GB:)

Post by Hai »

Tested with Stockfish "Tord Romstad app".

Opening
4261.1 kn/s - this was the best first result.
Then it jumps down and up and down to 4000, 4100, 4200 and more.
Now after exactly 5 minutes 4265 kn/s.
Funny and interesting fact: the kn/s are still increasing 4280.2.
My conclusion is that this has something to do with the deep learning ki from apple which tries to improve the processes.
After 8 minutes 4295.5 kn/s - the best result.
After 9 minutes 4300.9 kn/s.
After exactly 10 minutes we have 4305 kn/s.

I will stop here because I want to have some fun today and maybe someone can test it 1, 10, 12, 24 hours.

AND PLEASE CREAT ASMFISH FOR IOS!!!
I REALLY NEED +30% MORE KN/S = 5500 KN/S WOW
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Lion

Re: iPad Pro 2 12.9 512 GB:)

Post by Lion »

Thank you very much for sharing.
Do you know if the 10.5 model has the same hardware and thus could expect the same results ?

Rgds
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Lion wrote:Thank you very much for sharing.
Do you know if the 10.5 model has the same hardware and thus could expect the same results ?

Rgds
My best with the 10-1/2" was 4270 after 1 minute - I did not see it keep increasing as described above - usually it would hit a high mark after a minute or 2 and start decreasing from there.
Hai

Post by Hai »

Rgds
Same hardware but the 12.9 has a better screen.
Same results.
In the first moment I wasn't sure if I got the 10.5 or 12.9 model, because I expected the 12.9 to be somehow bigger.

Result= the iPad Pro 2 12.9 is perfect for chess and other things, from different points of view.

It is ~1/3 stronger than the samsung S8
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=60
And it also kills every other tablet and smartphone.

If you can get some guys to create asmfish for ios, maybe Ted Wong, then the iPad Pro will be as strong as the i7-4700mq @2.4 Ghz 5.492 kn/s or even slightly stronger.
kinderchocolate
Full name: Ted Wong

Post by kinderchocolate »

Sorry... I don't know anything about assembly language.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Hai wrote:

Rgds
Same hardware but the 12.9 has a better screen.
Same results.
In the first moment I wasn't sure if I got the 10.5 or 12.9 model, because I expected the 12.9 to be somehow bigger.

Result= the iPad Pro 2 12.9 is perfect for chess and other things, from different points of view.

It is ~1/3 stronger than the samsung S8
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 0&start=60
And it also kills every other tablet and smartphone.

If you can get some guys to create asmfish for ios, maybe Ted Wong, then the iPad Pro will be as strong as the i7-4700mq @2.4 Ghz 5.492 kn/s or even slightly stronger.
Some people recommend the smaller Pro over the bigger Pro:

Code: Select all

"Finally, if you’re trying to choose between the larger and smaller Pro models, Apple has made your choice much simpler by syncing up the refresh cycle. The old 12.9-inch Pro had a bigger screen, more memory, and a better Smart Keyboard, but the smaller one had the better screen and the superior camera. Now the screen tech and the specifications and the size of the keyboards and the camera quality is all synced up; just pick the size you want and run with it. I’d say that if you do intend to use the iPad for its original purpose—watching movies and playing games—for any significant amount of time, the 10.5-inch option is going to be more comfortable and versatile, but that’s your choice to make."
https://arstechnica.com/apple/2017/06/r ... oftware/3/

Personally, I think they made the differences between the 12.5 vs the 10.5 so minute , you can choose the the smaller size without sacrificing quality. That was not true on the first Pro versions. So if the smaller size is the size you really want, go for it.
Hai

Post by Hai »

https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

10.5 vs 12.9

Wi‑Fi models
1.03 pounds (469 grams) vs 1.49 pounds (677 grams)

Wi-Fi + Cellular models
1.05 pounds (477 grams) vs 1.53 pounds (692 grams)
=I'm really not sure if I can feel the difference.

Built‐in 30.4‐watt‐hour rechargeable lithium‑polymer battery vs Built‐in 41‐watt‐hour rechargeable lithium‑polymer battery

And the bigger screen makes a big difference, not only for chess but also for split view!!! and movies and work and other stuff.

Of course I have the wifi + cellular model and 512 gb, 50 gb I filled yesterday very fast with some apps, without movies and photos and other stuff.

We will also see much much more 4 gb apps in this year, because apple increased the app size limit.
Due to the new ipad pro models, we can even expect after ios 11, sooner or later, again an increase to ~6-8 gb.

That's also one reason you should take the 512 gb, because with only 256 gb, after the 256 gb are filled your out.
mar
Full name: Martin Sedlak

Post by mar »

Hai wrote:If you can get some guys to create asmfish for ios, maybe Ted Wong, then the iPad Pro will be as strong as the i7-4700mq @2.4 Ghz 5.492 kn/s or even slightly stronger.
AsmFish is x64 assembly, your iPad pro is ARMv8 (64-bit).
Those are totally unrealated, my guess is the amount of work needed would be about the same as porting SF to 64-bit ARM assembly from scratch.

I understand that you're excited about your new toy, but this thread shows that
you've clearly no idea what you're talking about :)
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Hai wrote:https://www.apple.com/ipad-pro/specs/

10.5 vs 12.9

Wi‑Fi models
1.03 pounds (469 grams) vs 1.49 pounds (677 grams)

Wi-Fi + Cellular models
1.05 pounds (477 grams) vs 1.53 pounds (692 grams)
=I'm really not sure if I can feel the difference.

Built‐in 30.4‐watt‐hour rechargeable lithium‑polymer battery vs Built‐in 41‐watt‐hour rechargeable lithium‑polymer battery

And the bigger screen makes a big difference, not only for chess but also for split view!!! and movies and work and other stuff.

Of course I have the wifi + cellular model and 512 gb, 50 gb I filled yesterday very fast with some apps, without movies and photos and other stuff.

We will also see much much more 4 gb apps in this year, because apple increased the app size limit.
Due to the new ipad pro models, we can even expect after ios 11, sooner or later, again an increase to ~6-8 gb.

That's also one reason you should take the 512 gb, because with only 256 gb, after the 256 gb are filled your out.
You bold the watt hour - what is wrong with you? Of course it has a larger capacity - that does not translate to a longer interval between charges since it also uses more juice - they are both rated for 10 hours of use. Get a grip , you got a new toy and I hope you enjoy it but this bigger is better mantra you're on is annoying - different strokes for different folks.
h1a8

Post by h1a8 »

mar wrote:
Hai wrote:If you can get some guys to create asmfish for ios, maybe Ted Wong, then the iPad Pro will be as strong as the i7-4700mq @2.4 Ghz 5.492 kn/s or even slightly stronger.
AsmFish is x64 assembly, your iPad pro is ARMv8 (64-bit).
Those are totally unrealated, my guess is the amount of work needed would be about the same as porting SF to 64-bit ARM assembly from scratch.

I understand that you're excited about your new toy, but this thread shows that
you've clearly no idea what you're talking about :)
Well Cfish is for Android and it gives a much higher kn/s than stockfish.
So it's possible.

I really use komodo exclusively. I pray the komodo team can build an engine for ios. I rather use komodo on the stockfish app than stockfish.