Mark Lefler and irma

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

lkaufman

Mark Lefler and irma

Post by lkaufman »

Mark asked me to post a notice here for anyone trying to contact him or to get Komodochess support. He lives in Fort Lauderdale Florida, which was impacted by Hurricane Irma though not directly hit. He and his household are ok, but they are without electricity and internet with no idea how long the situation will remain this way. Since I live far from the affected area, my Komodo work continues, though of course what I can do without Mark is somewhat limited. Our chess.com handicap match with IM Yaacov Norowitz should proceed as scheduled tomorrow (Tuesday at 1 pm Eastern time).
Komodo rules!
Dann Corbit

Re: Mark Lefler and irma

Post by Dann Corbit »

Glad that he and his family are OK.
Everything else is secondary after that.

We can wait for the next great step until he gets things sorted out and has time for chess again.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Tony P.

Post by Tony P. »

Good luck to Mark with getting the power back soon. It looks like this may take a week, as there's reportedly a record number of outages in the state, affecting the majority of its population :cry:
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

Dann Corbit wrote:Glad that he and his family are OK.

We can wait for the next great step until he gets things sorted out and has time for chess again.
He has time for chess now, just not the basics needed to work on it!
Komodo rules!
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Thanks a lot for this information, Larry.
I wish the best for Mark and his Family!

best regards, Clemens Keck
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

lkaufman wrote:Mark asked me to post a notice here for anyone trying to contact him or to get Komodochess support. He lives in Fort Lauderdale Florida, which was impacted by Hurricane Irma though not directly hit. He and his household are ok, but they are without electricity and internet with no idea how long the situation will remain this way. Since I live far from the affected area, my Komodo work continues, though of course what I can do without Mark is somewhat limited. Our chess.com handicap match with IM Yaacov Norowitz should proceed as scheduled tomorrow (Tuesday at 1 pm Eastern time).
we wish Mark the best of luck escaping the clutches of Irma.

2/3 of Florida without electricity, obviously humans have changed
their environment beyond recognition/livability.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

lkaufman wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:Glad that he and his family are OK.

He has time for chess now, just not the basics needed to work on it!
plenty of time to think on chess programming. :)
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

lkaufman wrote:Mark asked me to post a notice here for anyone trying to contact him or to get Komodochess support. He lives in Fort Lauderdale Florida, which was impacted by Hurricane Irma though not directly hit. He and his household are ok, but they are without electricity and internet with no idea how long the situation will remain this way. Since I live far from the affected area, my Komodo work continues, though of course what I can do without Mark is somewhat limited. Our chess.com handicap match with IM Yaacov Norowitz should proceed as scheduled tomorrow (Tuesday at 1 pm Eastern time).
Give Mark my best. He is 91 miles south of me. I live in Port St. Lucie which is also on the East side of Florida. I had electricity and Comcast was acting up a little bit but finally got stable. I went through Matthew (Oct. 2016) in this trailer with no damages but with Irma when I got home from emergency shelter I saw this.

https://imgur.com/LG0KJ4p

https://imgur.com/LLYQuEO

https://imgur.com/fPZH2dG

https://imgur.com/v28SksE

ALmost forgot. Our place was the only one that this type of major damage. I only seen a few bits of carnage in the mobile park area. People were staying at the shelter and they had cement homes which I would stayed in myself as none of the cement homes didn't even have a scratch on them.

I let the Building Inspector come in the house and he approved it for living in but "At your own risk" as it had no water leakage in the main part of the house. The area decimated in the front in where I used to sleep and use my laptop which i brought with me to the shelter.

places with more damage would be Mark's area, Miami,Key West and the Western coastline of FL.
Last edited by reflectionofpower on Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Henk

Post by Henk »

I don't understand why people live in dangerous areas. Probably they had no choice or they made a bad decision they can't revert like a bad post you can't delete anymore.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Henk wrote:I don't understand why people live in dangerous areas. Probably they had no choice,
Actually with me this is a true statement. I lost my business and because of circumstances I HAD to come down here but I can tell you Florida is the "Sunshine State" but the hurricanes every year is making me want to get out of here. When I lived in RI I never had to worry about this.

I have talked to other Floridians lately and they feel the same way. Matthew was headed right for us but then veered off 50 miles east so winds were not as bad. Irma veered off to the West of us so the next one which will probably be "Lonnie" will plow right through our area.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie