The monthly online match

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rebel

The monthly online match

Post by Rebel »

I am willing to run a match each month for 2 weeks prefered by the members of this forum. Live coverage on 4 channels via webmatch, see example.

Options

1. What time control?

2. Permanent brain on or off?

3. Single or MP matches?

4. Books or not?

On an 8 core PC I can do:

1. four simultaneous matches with or without the permanent brain;

2. two simultaneous matches, 4 cores, without permanent brain;

3. one match, 8 cores, without permanent brain;
Dann Corbit

Re: The monthly online match

Post by Dann Corbit »

Rebel wrote:I am willing to run a match each month for 2 weeks prefered by the members of this forum. Live coverage on 4 channels via webmatch, see example.

Options

1. What time control?

2. Permanent brain on or off?

3. Single or MP matches?

4. Books or not?

On an 8 core PC I can do:

1. four simultaneous matches with or without the permanent brain;

2. two simultaneous matches, 4 cores, without permanent brain;

3. one match, 8 cores, without permanent brain;
I like #1 with PB or #3, but I suspect I am a tiny minority in this respect. Most people want fast matches.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Tony P.

Post by Tony P. »

1. A middlegame-heavy blitz TC, e.g. with a small increment that's just enough for engines not to blunder in the endgame, or like the one I'm using: 2 min for the first 30 moves, 2 min for the next 40 and repeating 1 min per 50 moves for the rest of the game (suggestions are welcome on how to improve this TC). The reason is that I don't understand the endgame all that much :P

2-3. PB on (or, if you need the computer for other tasks, it's OK if you turn PB off), 4 at a time, 1 core. Another option is to run 4 at once, on 2 cores each, with PB off.

4. FEOBOS 9 with contempt 5 :D Download the 'current (*.pgn) only' archive from the FEOBOS site if you haven't got the PGNs yet, then create a new book in Arena, import feobos_v9-contempt-5.pgn into it and save the book (as .abk). Note, though, that the random opening choice, despite containing classical openings too, might be too skewed in favour of Sokolsky, KIA, Bird, Saragossa, Nimzo-Larsen and similar cheesy stuff :P
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Tony P. wrote: Download the 'current (*.pgn) only' archive from the FEOBOS site if you haven't got the PGNs yet, then create a new book in Arena, import feobos_v9-contempt-5.pgn into it and save the book (as .abk).
Hi Anton,

I went to Frank's FEOBOS page, but I'm not sure what exactly to download from there to get the pgn. Could you clarify, please? :)
Thanks,
CL
Tony P.

Post by Tony P. »

carldaman wrote:Hi Anton,

I went to Frank's FEOBOS page, but I'm not sure what exactly to download from there to get the pgn. Could you clarify, please? :)
Thanks,
CL
Oops, my bad. The ZIP that you need is the one with books (alas the download takes many minutes).

Here's the direct link to the ZIP if you don't mind. Otherwise you can find it in the table at Frank's site - it's in the fourth column from the right in the bottom row, called 'current (with books) FEOBOS v9 without move transpositions, 28,06 Mb'.

The PGN file that I was talking about is located in the 'Contempt-5' folder in the ZIP. Analogously, files for lower contempt factors are in their respective contempt folders.

If you want just the full opening book without the segregation by contempt (1-5) in the PGN format, you can download a smaller (6.27) MB ZIP, the rightmost in the bottom row, called 'FINAL FEOBOS basics'. In that ZIP, the full books are feobos_without-dublicates_41614-after-upd-1.pgn (the version without transpositions) and feobos_with-dublicates_93794-after-upd-1.pgn (the version with transpositions).