Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

AdminX

Re: Komodo is now set to come top in stage one of TCEC 10

Post by AdminX »

Norm Pollock wrote:The big story in round 1 has got to be Booot possibly advancing due to its "disconnection" win against Fizbo. Booot, Fire, Gull, and Chiron are fighting for positions 6-7-8. One of them won't make it.

In the controversial game, Fizbo was up 2 pawns and there were bishops of opposite colors at the end . Here is the game (#42):

[D]7k/1p4p1/2pBp1qp/2P4r/p2P4/Pb3R2/1P4Q1/6K1 b - - 3 58
I would like to see Chiron in one of those 3 positions. Probably will be Gull, Fire, and Chiron. I don't care about which seat at the table they have.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by gotogo »

Booot lost to komodo and draw to stockfish!

fizbo draw to komodo and lost to stockfish!
looks like better odds to komodo!

If you had vested interest in komodo which would you give the win to?

Stockfish has laid down and done all it could to hamper development so komodo will have a chance!

I guess it makes komodo fans happy! when stockfish won last year not much news but when komodo wins all the creatures come out and cheer!

Well good luck to all but I hope houdini has a surprise for every engine!
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

Ehm....

Two engines play a game, and one of the two crashes/disconnects.
Who wins the game?
gotogo

Post by gotogo »

Did he disconnect or was he disconnected? Who knows but you should never give the losing side the win! could be a little fishy! could be legit I can't say for sure I can only speculate! The game was well past the half way mark wv=-12.68 looks like a clear win with no chance of recovery!
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

gotogo wrote:Did he disconnect or was he disconnected? Who knows but you should never give the losing side the win! could be a little fishy! could be legit I can't say for sure I can only speculate! The game was well past the half way mark wv=-12.68 looks like a clear win with no chance of recovery!
Precisely. The right answer/solution should be obvious, but it doesn't work that way @ tcec.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

gotogo wrote:Did he disconnect or was he disconnected? Who knows but you should never give the losing side the win! could be a little fishy! could be legit I can't say for sure I can only speculate! The game was well past the half way mark wv=-12.68 looks like a clear win with no chance of recovery!
I don't think you should give the winning side the benefit of the doubt either.

Post by Norm Pollock »

There are a few more facts to the termination situation in Stage One - tcec 10.

First, as it stands now with further results having occurred, Booot has 15 pts and advances. One of Gingko, Gull, and Chiron will not advance. Which one is that will depend on the completion of stage one and possibly S-B points.

Second, Fizbo had a second termination game that it lost. This one was after 6 moves (game 101) against Vajolet. Valojet is finishing low in the table. The position was equal. Fizbo played White.

[D]r1bq1rk1/pppnppbp/3p1np1/8/3PP3/3B1N1P/PPP2PP1/RNBQ1RK1 w - - 5 7

Third, here are the results if, hypothetically, the rules were different and terminated games were replayed, and assuming Fizbo won those two replayed games:

Fizbo would have 15 points (instead of 13), and would qualify. Booot would have 14 points and would NOT qualify. Two of Gingko, Gull and Chiron would qualify. Gingko, Gull and Chiron would be in the same situation as before.
Updated links for 40H Tools and Databases
http://40Hchess.epizy.com
http://nk-qy.info/40h
jdart

Post by jdart »

Arasan also has one loss due to premature termination, against Bobcat. I don't understand either why they are not letting engines resume a game if it terminates early, for whatever reason. All other tournaments Arasan has participated in have done this. They can make their own rules, and they are following a consistent policy, but it makes no sense to me.

--Jon
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

jdart wrote:Arasan also has one loss due to premature termination, against Bobcat. I don't understand either why they are not letting engines resume a game if it terminates early, for whatever reason. All other tournaments Arasan has participated in have done this. They can make their own rules, and they are following a consistent policy, but it makes no sense to me.

--Jon
I definitely agree with your opinion and on all points too.

Post by Michel »

S. Taylor wrote:I KNOW it is not enough games.
Exactly.
Ideas=science. Simplification=engineering.
Without ideas there is nothing to simplify.