2nd Crazyhouse Computer Championships 2017

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

2nd Crazyhouse Computer Championships 2017

Post by Ferdy »

I plan of running this champ this coming 12-27 to 12-29. You may send your new engine or updated engine to me or show me the link to download.

Last year's Champion was Stockfish Zh
http://ccva.challonge.com/1st_ccva_comp_champ_2016

2017 format:
Phase 1: Candidates tour
Phase 2: Champ tour

All engines except Stockfish zh will play in the candidates. The winner in the candidates will challenge Stockfish zh to a 12 game match at TC 15m + 30s.

The candidates will be an 8-RR tour at TC 5m+3s

Each engine is only allowed 1 core, no book, and no learning. I will be using cutechess gui without adjudications and will use pgn start opening set at random, each opening will be played twice.

Possible Candidates' players:
Imortal
TJchess
Sunsetter
CrazyWa
Sjaak II
Sjeng
Pulsar
NebiyuAlien
KKFChess
TSCP zh
PyChess
IanO

Re: 2nd Crazyhouse Computer Championships 2017

Post by IanO »

Send a special invitation to DeepMind, they might surprise us all! :twisted:
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

It would be nice. I imagine beating SF 95-5 in Zh might shut some people up. Then again hopeless trolls are just that.
Fabian Fichter

Post by Fabian Fichter »

It will be interesting to see whether CrazyWa can challenge the top 3 seeds of the candidates. Do you have a new version of Imortal for the tournament?

For the final, I would suggest to use the last release https://github.com/niklasf/Stockfish/re ... net-071017 of Stockfish that is used for about two months now on lichess, so it should be stable. I will check with Daniel Dugovic whether he agrees.
IanO wrote:Send a special invitation to DeepMind, they might surprise us all! :twisted:
AlphaZero Crazyhouse would be awesome. It would probably beat Stockfish by quite a margin considering the amount of effort that has been put into development of chess and shogi engines compared to crazyhouse.
Vinvin
Full name: Vincent Lejeune

Post by Vinvin »

IanO wrote:Send a special invitation to DeepMind, they might surprise us all! :twisted:
Yeah, that would be great to get some test games at vert high level !!
ZH opening books still so weak now !
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Fabian Fichter wrote:It will be interesting to see whether CrazyWa can challenge the top 3 seeds of the candidates.
It won't. I have not done any work on it whatsoever, the past year. And if I would find some time to work on it, it would be used for implementing Kyoto Shogi, not for improving Crazyhouse.
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

AlphaZero Crazyhouse would be awesome. It would probably beat Stockfish by quite a margin considering the amount of effort that has been put into development of chess and shogi engines compared to crazyhouse.
NebiyuAlien can use MCTS for crazyhouse in this tournament. All I need to beat Stockfish is alpha's awesome NN for move selection and evaluation...
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Fabian Fichter wrote:Do you have a new version of Imortal for the tournament?
I have.
For the final, I would suggest to use the last release https://github.com/niklasf/Stockfish/re ... net-071017 of Stockfish that is used for about two months now on lichess, so it should be stable. I will check with Daniel Dugovic whether he agrees.
That is good stable engine is important to avoid stopping the running tour unnecessarily.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

:) they already tried shogi, but maybe zh later.
Toadofsky

Post by Toadofsky »

Best of luck to all participants! Thanks again to Ferdinand Mosca for running these excellent events!
(Fabian did check with me and I agree with that release. Presumably we will use setting "Move Overhead=1000" which I believe Stockfish used in TCEC.)

Incidentally, Lichess is releasing a broadcast (beta) site where viewers can discuss live tournament games! Were it feasible (for the live PGN to be hosted on any web server so Lichess could poll & broadcast the games) I (~2000) and probably others would be glad to livestream commentary outside of working hours.
Fabian Fichter wrote:It will be interesting to see whether CrazyWa can challenge the top 3 seeds of the candidates. Do you have a new version of Imortal for the tournament?