AlphaWhat?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

No comment by Marco Costalba. Why?

AlphaWhat? Never heard of it...
3%
Of course, they lost many "private matches" vs. SF + book + proper hashes + Syzygy.
15%
This is an abuse of Stockfish name and reputation. I'll start a legal action.
No votes
It's far better than Stockfish. Very promising approach. Congratulations!
43%
Think at it as you want. That's not my business.
40%

Total votes: 40

Rodolfo Leoni

AlphaWhat?

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Of course this is a joke. We'll know Marco's opinion only when/if he'll decide to post them. But it's also a way to know how many of you think match was fair, and how many think that was manipulated to reach a spectacular result for their marketing strategy. It'll be funny to see the results... :wink:
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Ovyron

Re: AlphaWhat?

Post by Ovyron »

Really? People think they went to the trouble of installing Syzygy tablebases, the Cerebellum book, and more RAM into their computers just to see how A0 handled the challenge and since it failed they toned it down?

Occam Razor says started from the ground up and were happy with what they defeated, and don't really care about their performance against Stofckfish+book+hash+Syzygy because it still plays weaker than A0, so by then they'd try to beat A0 instead of a slightly stronger Stockfish.
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

You haven't been paying much attention (and could have used the search function):
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.ph ... 307#741307
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

syzygy wrote:You haven't been paying much attention (and could have used the search function):
Ouch! You're right... :oops:

Then, the answer should be "Congratulations!" I think SF could have a better performance with better settings tough.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote: I think SF could have a better performance with better settings tough.
This is trivial to test, just play SF at 1min/move against SF at 1min/move with all the paraphernalia that it was missing, if the new one beats the old one by 30 elo, A0 would only have won by 70 elo intead of 100.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Ovyron wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote: I think SF could have a better performance with better settings tough.
This is trivial to test, just play SF at 1min/move against SF at 1min/move with all the paraphernalia that it was missing, if the new one beats the old one by 30 elo, A0 would only have won by 70 elo intead of 100.
I think you're right. But I'm using my limited free time and old PC for correspondence chess. I could try something like that on next spring, IMO. It could be interesting.
Latest SF Dev + Cerebellum + Syzygy vs naked SF8, 1 min/move.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

syzygy wrote:You haven't been paying much attention (and could have used the search function):
Ronald, You are just crouching in wait to pounce on and attack anyone that does not perform to your level. Is that a demonstration of your superiority? Did you just happen to read and remember Marco's post or did you decide to search after the fact. But either way I can just imagine the smile on your face when you got the opportunity to attack someone. Out in the world that bullying behavior might get you a bloody nose. But here on the internet you can be pounded into the ground metaphorically with words and just ignore it. You just don't feel the pain do you?
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
Ovyron wrote:
I think you're right. But I'm using my limited free time and old PC for correspondence chess. I could try something like that on next spring, IMO. It could be interesting.
Latest SF Dev + Cerebellum + Syzygy vs naked SF8, 1 min/move.
I think that is easily more than 100 Elo stronger than SF 8 by now, but maybe not when SF 8 has 64 cores at the hardware they were using. The Cerebellum and Syzygy are not really fair IMO, although a form of learning should be allowed because that is what they did too.

I'm not a mathematician you'd have to ask Tord and Joona but I prefer to think of Alpha Zero as Aleph-Null but that is just the German form of the mathematical term. Alpha Zero is more natural to English speakers. A form of infinity like ∞, where Google gets its name from. Aleph is used in the mathematical symbol, I suppose because Georg Cantor used that? Not sure.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
Ronald, You are just crouching in wait to pounce on and attack anyone that does not perform to your level. Is that a demonstration of your superiority? Did you just happen to read and remember Marco's post or did you decide to search after the fact. But either way I can just imagine the smile on your face when you got the opportunity to attack someone. Out in the world that bullying behavior might get you a bloody nose. But here on the internet you can be pounded into the ground metaphorically with words and just ignore it. You just don't feel the pain do you?
IMO it is absurd to even think about this (Ronalds post) as an attack...
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Guenther wrote:
Michael Sherwin wrote:
IMO it is absurd to even think about this (Ronalds post) as an attack...
Then you haven't been paying much attention.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through