DDR5 memory

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

DDR5 memory

Post by Leo »

"Hardware experts believed the last DRAM would be the current DDR4, but that’s not the case, with DDR5 memory now under development.

Specifications for DDR5 memory will be released this year, and deployment of the DRAM will begin in 2020, according to a presentation at the Intel Developer Forum."
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Nordlandia

Re: DDR5 memory

Post by Nordlandia »

Some said that DDR5 won't increase raw engine performance much.
Leo

Post by Leo »

I thought it would but I am not that knowledgeable about it. I am kind of excited about a faster RAM.
Leo

Post by Leo »

How important is RAM speed for a chess engine? If the hybrid memory cube {HMC} comes into use would that help engines a lot?
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

I dont think that it matter much at all. Latency is the one thing that is very important. If ddr5 has less latency, then there might be some small gains
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

Leo wrote:How important is RAM speed for a chess engine? If the hybrid memory cube {HMC} comes into use would that help engines a lot?
Almost not impact from what I've seen... I'm running ddr3... 1060mhz... no performance difference from 2100 ddr4 to this... overrated... means nothing. Ram is fast enough whether "slow" or "fast"... it's all about the cpu and software... ddr5 will be a waste of money... just like ddr4.
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
Leo wrote:How important is RAM speed for a chess engine? If the hybrid memory cube {HMC} comes into use would that help engines a lot?
Almost not impact from what I've seen... I'm running ddr3... 1060mhz... no performance difference from 2100 ddr4 to this... overrated... means nothing. Ram is fast enough whether "slow" or "fast"... it's all about the cpu and software... ddr5 will be a waste of money... just like ddr4.
higher density is pretty nice though
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:
DDR3, DDR4 or DDR5... I don't care, just drop the prices already.